4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Making the 4th gen safer in collisions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Making the 4th gen safer in collisions

I have a 95 GLE I've put a lot of money into and daily. I live in a snowy region and commute 45min to my job so I spend a lot of time driving in bad weather.

Is there a way to make the car safer in bad weather? I don't want all my hours of work and cash and my well being to go to waste if there was a collision. I read ABS is a pain in the *** to retrofit, so I'd assume TCS would be about the same (if it's even possible since it's not DBW)? I know about cadence braking and it works but that doesn't help me if I don't feel a patch of black ice as fast as TCS.

Is there a way to make the safety cell safer, especially from side impacts? I mean I could always rip the panel off and weld something to the door but what about retrofitting curtain airbags from a 5.5?

Thanks in advance for your help, there's too many crazy Honda Odysseys sliding around during the winter up here.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by lukeb
Is there a way to make the car safer in bad weather?
Originally Posted by Violator
I too am looking for the same type of information.
Be better drivers.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Be better drivers.
LoL!! Really? That is the best advice you could muster??
Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Rit

Buy good summer tires, and dedicated summer tires. As far as other drivers hitting you. enroll in a defensive driving course. It has many great suggestions. You can take one online for about $25, and in many states, you will save enough from your auto insurance to easily pay for it, and also make some money for your time. It takes about 6 hours, as I recall.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:11 PM

Use dedicated winter tires "snow tires" if you don't use them already. If you can only use one set of tires year-round, look for one that has the mountain and snowflake symbol, such as the Vredestein Quatrac 5, Toyo Celsius, or Nokian WRG3.

And of course, becoming a better driver always helps.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:33 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

97-99 have better bumpers and door reinforcements. 98-99 have side impact air bags.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:35 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Check out the rear 5 mph impact difference
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...oor-sedan/1998
Old 02-24-2017, 10:00 PM

ABS and TCC do not make for a safer car. It is a band aid for bad drivers. Learn the limits of your brakes, and how to not lock them up. And run appropriate tires for your weather and region.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Foam the body side and front all hollow places makes for stiffer body that will crush. Used in many cars stock. High end