4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clicking in passenger footwell

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:58 PM

Clicking in passenger footwell

So I just fixed my front o2 sensor tonight and went for a test drive. This being the first time I've had the headlights on in a while I heard some intermittent clicking coming from the passenger side wheel well. It would click in multiples when I slapped the dash or went over bumps. I eventually figured out that it only happens when the lights are on, even with the car off. I do not believe this has anything to do with the o2, I just wanted to include all the information on the off chance that it is. Anyway the clicking is coming from a set of blue plugs on the right side under the dash on the passengers wheel well. It is behind the black cover and then behind a metal plate which is held in place by 2 bolts. Does anyone know what the blue plugs are to? One is plugged in and the other is factory taped to the plugged one. They both have many spectate wires running from them. I assume it is a small short and the car runs fine without it plugged in, I'll be on the lookout till I can figure out a fix.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:14 AM

Are you talking about the two plugs on the passenger door side behind the plastic cover next to passengers right foot? There is the audio amp relay and if your car came prewired for the cold weather package then you have a plug for the mirror defogger relay. The mirror defogger relay may be taped with blue tape.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:51 AM

It must be the audio amp relay. I have after market audio system all the way around, new speaker wires and everything. So I can just leave it unplugged without side effects, right? Why would the lights make it short though?
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM

Im not too sure, hopefully someone else can chime in but I did find this wiring diagram for the audio amp relay.