4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help with Removing UIM

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:58 PM

Help with Removing UIM

I am in the process over removing upper intake manifold to change my leaky valve gaskets, install nwp spacers, and paint it make it look pretty in the process. I have everything disconnected except the last 2 coolant hoses, any tips these seem impossible to get to especially with the clips facing down where i can't even get to them except with my bare fingers and i don't have THAT strong of fingers those clips are TIGHT
Old 02-24-2017, 09:12 PM

The first time I did mine I just reached under the bottom side of the UIM (completely unbolted and resting on my arm) with needle-nose pliers. Took some patience but that's how I managed, I also bypassed straight to TB afterward.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by BenL
The first time I did mine I just reached under the bottom side of the UIM (completely unbolted and resting on my arm) with needle-nose pliers. Took some patience but that's how I managed, I also bypassed straight to TB afterward.
Can't fit my arm under there and its a PITA to even see. But I see what you mean by bypass, I'm thinking of cutting the drivers side tube and doing the same thing, can't cut the other one though can I?

BTW what is it that you are bypassing? What's the coolant running through between the UIM and TB
Old 02-24-2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Violator
Can't fit my arm under there and its a PITA to even see. But I see what you mean by bypass, I'm thinking of cutting the drivers side tube and doing the same thing, can't cut the other one though can I?

BTW what is it that you are bypassing? What's the coolant running through between the UIM and TB
You can cut the short u-bend hose if you really need to. Bypassing directly to TB is eliminating the approx 3" tube (and 1 very short, annoying hose) running just under the EGR passage. It isn't absolutely necessary to have.

I used 3/8" fuel line to replace the two hoses, so far no issues after 7-8 years.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:41 PM

You can cut the short u-bend hose if you really need to. Bypassing directly to TB is eliminating the approx 3" tube (and 1 very short, annoying hose) running just under the EGR passage. It isn't absolutely necessary to have.

I used 3/8" fuel line to replace the two hoses, so far no issues after 7-8 years.
thanks, cutting those mother****ers in the morning my back hurts like hell
Old 02-25-2017, 06:26 AM

+1 to eliminate the U shaped hose with the bypass. That is one of the first things I do when I buy a 4th gen. Also, many members only use one UIM bracket bolt. I think the one on the driver side is the easiest to reinstall.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:31 AM
Administrator

I know about the PITA U shaped hose, but can't picture the second hose you're talking about that's a problem.

If you must salvage the U shaped hose, you lift the manifold up and out of the way as much as possible and you can support it either with a friend or bungee cords. Your arm will then go under the manifold instead of around the back. Then you'll be able to remove the clip with some needle nose pliers.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I know about the PITA U shaped hose, but can't picture the second hose you're talking about that's a problem.

If you must salvage the U shaped hose, you lift the manifold up and out of the way as much as possible and you can support it either with a friend or bungee cords. Your arm will then go under the manifold instead of around the back. Then you'll be able to remove the clip with some needle nose pliers.
they are both right by the egr, I can feel the ushaped hose you're talking about but the other is right next to it on the other side of the egr right beneath the iacv it passes through one more thing before the TB, the clip is facing down and i can't get to it and i'm assuming this is why i can't really get under the uim at all for the ushaped hose

also, the inside of the UIM is filthy, any advantage to cleaning it and what should i try cleaning with?

Last edited by Violator; 02-25-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:08 PM

VICTORY! I was able to get pliers on the egr hose played tug of war with an assistant pulling the uim until the hose slipped free, making it easier to get under the uim to the coolant hose. as part of the nwp spacer install i will be doing the bypass to avoid the uhose and moving the clips so they aren't facing downwards out of reach and sight