4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

TipTronic in a Max???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 11:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

TipTronic in a Max???

Well, in the spirit of discussion, I don't think I've seen this one anywhere on the board. That being said... What are the possibilities for putting a Tiptronic or similar system (ie the Acura TL/S, and many german cars) in a Maxima? Can it be done? Has it been done? Impossible? Discuss.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:20 AM
www.autotalk.com

i have NO IDEA but NICE sig though
Old 01-31-2002, 11:32 AM

Not now...

but I'll be willing ot bet that it would be availible in the next generation Maxima.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:36 AM

Re: Not now...

that would be beyond sweet, posrche....ferrari....mbz....
Old 01-31-2002, 11:37 AM

now?

But I want it in my 4th gen now! Along with All Wheel Drive, and a supercharger.. hehe..

Thanks on the Sig props also.
- Jon
Old 01-31-2002, 11:52 AM

I remember once apon a time this being discused. I think everyone thought it would be a great idea but it ran into some problems. I can't remeber why but it was a long time ago.

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 11:53 AM

It would be more cost effective to sell your Max and buy a TL-S.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.
It would be more cost effective to sell your Max and buy a TL-S.
Maybe that was the reason why it never went any further.

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 12:30 PM

tipronic S ......MMMMmmm - clutch on da steering wheel....makes me feel so handicapped - lol
Old 01-31-2002, 12:33 PM

Why this push for a TipTronic? If you want to manually shift, get a manual. If you don't then get a regular auto. Why people try to push this tiptronic crap as 'good' is confusing.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:49 PM

Nah! Skip tiptronic. Should get the CVT like the Audis!
Old 01-31-2002, 12:57 PM
www.autotalk.com

All this Triptonic $#!t is g@y as hell... wats the point of shifting like that?
Old 01-31-2002, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by nigelcmf
Nah! Skip tiptronic. Should get the CVT like the Audis!
What is CVT?

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

What is CVT?

SuDZ
Continuously Variable Transmission

check out http://autobuy.about.com/cs/trends/a/nogears16.htm
Old 01-31-2002, 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Tiptronic is just a way to make those who cant drive stick feel better about themselves!! get a stick!!! I couldnt drive a Tiptronic and feel good anout it... its just like pushing the button in on the regular auto and shifting urself! thereya go!
Old 01-31-2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by zboy

Wow. Cool stuff. Seems like it is a good idea and the fact that they said it made the A4 a little quicker isnt bad either.

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 03:16 PM

there is a way to make your max shift like a manual. Level 10 sells a system.

http://www.levelten.com/store/import...shiftronic.htm

check it out.
but for the price do a 5spd conversion.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:30 PM

Why Tiptronic

First of all, on many cars the current Tiptronic system is faster than a real manual. Because it is hydrollic assisted, you wear out your clutch slower, and you get MUCH faster shift times. Porsche has made this idea proven with their current line of Tiptronic cars which are not insignificantly faster than the manual version. Anyway, for the gadget lover in me, Tiptronic is just another thing to push buttons on which is great, but it would also afford me performance increases around town and on the highway.

The #1 reason why I want Tiptronic in my Max? My mom paid for half of my car and even though I don't live at home, she wants to be able to drive my car if she has to (emergency, etc). She can drive stick, but she is getting older and doesnt want to deal with it and probably doesnt remember how to drive one. The last stick she drove was on my dad's Aston Martin '63 DB4GT in 1984 or something.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:48 PM

Re: Why Tiptronic

aston martin
we have 2 benzes with autostick which is what they call it, allows us to shift if we want or feel like it, or be lazy if we want, btw ferrari's f1 paddle shifter is the best
Old 01-31-2002, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by hakk97se
First of all, on many cars the current Tiptronic system is faster than a real manual. Because it is hydrollic assisted, you wear out your clutch slower, and you get MUCH faster shift times. Porsche has made this idea proven with their current line of Tiptronic cars which are not insignificantly faster than the manual version. Anyway, for the gadget lover in me, Tiptronic is just another thing to push buttons on which is great, but it would also afford me performance increases around town and on the highway.

The #1 reason why I want Tiptronic in my Max? My mom paid for half of my car and even though I don't live at home, she wants to be able to drive my car if she has to (emergency, etc). She can drive stick, but she is getting older and doesnt want to deal with it and probably doesnt remember how to drive one. The last stick she drove was on my dad's Aston Martin '63 DB4GT in 1984 or something.
then if that is what you want. level 10 pay $1099 for there shifttronic module.
Old 01-31-2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by hakk97se

I think you are confusing the automatic w/ clutchless manual shift tranmissions in Benzes and Acuras to the hydraulic clutch tranmissions in the Ferrari and new BMW M3 SMG.

The one in the M3 and Ferrari does have a clutch which is controlled by the computer and can shift faster than any human. However the ones in the Acura and Benzes are merely automatic transimissions which holds the gear at your discretion. They still have a torque converter which robs power. They do not have clutches like the Ferrari and BMW SMG system.

I don't think the electro-clutch system is possible to put in the Maxima. Hell the tranny in the Ferrari is worth $30K on its own!

But the system used in the Acura is possible in our Maxima and I think a user named 'i30krab' has done it in his car (along with every other mod possible and some special ones like water-injection). Also I remember an old thread with Daniel B. Martin and some other members talking about making a system which controls the solenoids in the tranny.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:45 AM

Re: Re: Why Tiptronic

Originally posted by mAdD MAX

I think you are confusing the automatic w/ clutchless manual shift tranmissions in Benzes and Acuras to the hydraulic clutch tranmissions in the Ferrari and new BMW M3 SMG.

The one in the M3 and Ferrari does have a clutch which is controlled by the computer and can shift faster than any human. However the ones in the Acura and Benzes are merely automatic transimissions which holds the gear at your discretion. They still have a torque converter which robs power. They do not have clutches like the Ferrari and BMW SMG system.

I don't think the electro-clutch system is possible to put in the Maxima. Hell the tranny in the Ferrari is worth $30K on its own!

But the system used in the Acura is possible in our Maxima and I think a user named 'i30krab' has done it in his car (along with every other mod possible and some special ones like water-injection). Also I remember an old thread with Daniel B. Martin and some other members talking about making a system which controls the solenoids in the tranny.
Thanks for the info, that is a little more clear. I do know that Audi and Porsche use virtually the same Tiptronic system and porsche claims that it's faster than their manual. It is made by another company of which I can't think of the name right now, but like Audi, they are now a subsidiary of VW.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by zboy

cvt is pretty cool, hard to accept but interesting.