4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Making Cold Air Duct For SRI

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Making Cold Air Duct For SRI

I have the JWT popcharger and was thinking of a simple cheap way to turn it into a cold air...

Sawing out the same area around the battery for where the place racing intake would go to pull outside air from the fender well, and installing flexible air duct (insulated maybe to keep the temps cool), and make a flat mating surface at the neck of the popcharger to make it air tight. All of the air would be pulled in from the fender area and still have the advantage of the shorter intake and velocity stack... thoughts? The bigger the tubing the better for more available air to be sucked in? Would 6inch be enough or should i go 8?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:42 PM
JvG

So other than sucking your wallet dry does this magical device do?

Have you already cleared all codes, replaced all the plugs, and upstream oxy sensors, cleaned the egr pipes, and checked the knock sensor?

Have you replaced or serviced the injectors?

If not, start there. You might find the horse power which Nissan put there for you.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Violator
I have the JWT popcharger and was thinking of a simple cheap way to turn it into a cold air...

Sawing out the same area around the battery for where the place racing intake would go to pull outside air from the fender well, and installing flexible air duct (insulated maybe to keep the temps cool), and make a flat mating surface at the neck of the popcharger to make it air tight. All of the air would be pulled in from the fender area and still have the advantage of the shorter intake and velocity stack... thoughts? The bigger the tubing the better for more available air to be sucked in? Would 6inch be enough or should i go 8?
Images of a dryer vent duct keep running through my head....
I don't think your idea will still be considered a SRI. Gains will be minimal at best. Much bigger gains are to be had with either a MEVI or 00VI
Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
So other than sucking your wallet dry does this magical device do?

Have you already cleared all codes, replaced all the plugs, and upstream oxy sensors, cleaned the egr pipes, and checked the knock sensor?

Have you replaced or serviced the injectors?

If not, start there. You might find the horse power which Nissan put there for you.
^^ just did all of those and nwp spacers with headers/ypipe/cat delete and mandrel b pipe with a straight through muffler, but I haven't replaced my upstream o2's

25ft of flexible insulated ducting for $25 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Thermafle...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd say it would be the cheapest and easiest mod on the car, keeping the advantages of the SRI while at the same time getting rid of the hot air intake and sluggish takeoffs. I read this would be the "true" definition of a hybrid intake somewhere on here (short ram with the cold air duct)

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Images of a dryer vent duct keep running through my head....
I don't think your idea will still be considered a SRI. Gains will be minimal at best. Much bigger gains are to be had with either a MEVI or 00VI
my memory betrayed me i could of sworn i read something about there not being actual gains from this or that the low end was worse or something along those lines so I decided awhile ago I was going to stay with the 4th gen manifold. After all of the work I just did to the car I'm feeling too discouraged atm to tackle 00vi, engine bay finally doesnt hurt my eyes to look at anymore

Last edited by Violator; 03-20-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Violator
engine bay finally doesnt hurt my eyes to look at anymore
I can't say that it hurts, but I do have to squint a little.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
I can't say that it hurts, but I do have to squint a little.
ouch what should i do doc? what's your engine bay look like? mine looks a lot better than it did a month ago
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Administrator

http://tatanko.boredmder.com/

Last edited by The Wizard; 03-21-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Old 03-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Damn i just had my manifold off and painted and put new injectors in, i checked out tatankos site and now as bad as i wanna do the 00vi swap i wanted my next project to be a 3.5 swap after I've saved up the money

and idk what i thought i had read but what i was reading last night along with those graphs no doubt the 00vi is better, wish i would of seen that graph a couple weeks ago no doubt i would of done the swap

Last edited by Violator; 03-21-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:27 PM

Wouldn't the JWT ECU account for some of those gains in the graphs? Was there ever a JWT ECU upgrade for a stock setup?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Wouldn't the JWT ECU account for some of those gains in the graphs? Was there ever a JWT ECU upgrade for a stock setup?
Sure, some of those ponies are attributed to JWT ECU.

But look at it this way. 4th gen Maxima with 3.0L engine is rated at 190HP. 5th gen Maxima with 3.0L engine is rated at 227HP (5spd) and 222HP (4A).

What's the biggest change? The manifold.

The biggest NA gains to be had with the Maxima are the manifold and the Y-pipe.