4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

finally tackled the egr valve.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:23 AM

finally tackled the egr valve.....

and what a pain in the *** it was! everything was rusted, and i get it off and the goddamn thing wasn't even clogged!! but that little diaphragm up top looked like it was probably shot, so i guess that and cleaning the throttle body out made it worth while. i still have an uneven idle at stoplights, should i replace the maf? it's original and 22 years old. had a p 0300 before i did the egr and i had a code after that i cleared before i saw what it was. all coils are new, 3 new injectors, new egr valve, every hose i could see we replaced. fuel filter is new, k&n air filter is fresh, put premium in the g tank. what other sensor(s) might need to be replaced? my buddy thinks the timing chain rattle is causing uneven idle, maybe a little. i know at some point i'm gonna yank the motor and rebuild or replace it.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
and what a pain in the *** it was! everything was rusted, and i get it off and the goddamn thing wasn't even clogged!! but that little diaphragm up top looked like it was probably shot, so i guess that and cleaning the throttle body out made it worth while. i still have an uneven idle at stoplights, should i replace the maf? it's original and 22 years old. had a p 0300 before i did the egr and i had a code after that i cleared before i saw what it was. all coils are new, 3 new injectors, new egr valve, every hose i could see we replaced. fuel filter is new, k&n air filter is fresh, put premium in the g tank. what other sensor(s) might need to be replaced? my buddy thinks the timing chain rattle is causing uneven idle, maybe a little. i know at some point i'm gonna yank the motor and rebuild or replace it.
idle? you seemed to mention everything but the actual IACV, idle air control valve...
Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im with you in the PIA comment. I took mine off a couple of years ago, it was completely clogged. I cleaned it out the best I could, not completely. I took it off recentely when I had to remove my UIM/LIM to change my KS. It was cloggled again, and seemed to have oil in it??? Not sure why. I might just buy a new one.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by RockHillMike
Im with you in the PIA comment. I took mine off a couple of years ago, it was completely clogged. I cleaned it out the best I could, not completely. I took it off recentely when I had to remove my UIM/LIM to change my KS. It was cloggled again, and seemed to have oil in it??? Not sure why. I might just buy a new one.
carb cleaner and the right brush is all you need to clean it, it's just a straight through pipe. And it recirculates exhaust gas that wasn't used during combustion, maybe if it was completely blocked off you had so much built up the gas formed into a liquid but combined with all the other carbon and **** in there it looked like oil
Originally Posted by max ride 41
if you're gonna replace the motor anyways, 3.5 swapp! that's what i will do some day, and i think i just started getting a little timing chain noise on startup but it goes away when the car is warm i also replaced an alternator that had gone bad and the idler pulley just because it was at 175kmiles and not exactly silent and a $20 easy part

Last edited by Violator; 03-24-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:24 AM
Black Lion

You don't have to remove the UIM to replace the Knock sensor.. you do know that right?

With a swivel socket and long extension you can replace that in 5 minutes. With the right tools most tough jobs are a breeze.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:32 AM

so, i have yet to replace the maf that's original with 282,000 on it. also, i think i replaced the iacv new at the dealer like 8 years ago, so i think the maf will be next. i know to get an oem one, any ideas other than the classifieds where to find an oem one?