4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How long till the ECU detects change from sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 11:15 PM

How long till the ECU detects change from sensors

Was working on my car and when i finished i put everything back together except i forgot to connect the map sensor and hose.

When i turned on the car i got an CEL (p0105). After looking up the code i realized its the map sensor so i opened my hood to check it and saw i had forgot to re-connect the sensor and hose!

I plugged it back in, connected the hose, turned on the car and drove 5 miles or so and the CEL light remains. My question is "how long will it take for the ECU to realize i plugged the map sensor and hose back in and turn OFF the CEL?

Im asking cause i have to deal with smog asap. I would hate to "reset the CEL" since that would mean i would be driving around to complete the drive cycles. If its faster then waiting on the ECU i guess thats an option but.. just curios if the ECU has a mileage or time delay before it picks up the changes.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:30 AM

I think if the car does recognizes the change on its own, it would be on a 50 miles range for the ecu to do anything. The quick way out is a scanner to reset the light and it will go away.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:14 AM

Clear the DTC.

Then operate the car.

If the DTC returns there's another/remaining issue.

If it doesn't, you're good to go.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:18 AM

The ECU detects a sensor change right away, but does not reset the CEL light immediately even though the problem has been fixed. The light going off by itself requires the car going through several "drive cycles" that involve certain engine rpms and other conditions. It can take several days to a week, depending on how you drive. Maybe longer.

The easiest way is as vqmaxman said, hook up an OBD reader and reset the light. You can also reset the light by turning an adjusting screw in the ECU.

But be advised that you may still fail a smog check because the ECU will report several "System Not Ready" messages. These will be reset when the drive cycles are completed.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:43 AM

@vqmaxman, Turbobink, DennisMik

Oh i see.. so i have to go through the drive cycles no matter what. The last time i had to do the drive cycles for smog it took forever so i was hoping to avoid it but i see im gonna have to do it again. Ill go ahead and clear the DTC and go from there. Thanks for the input guys!