4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'99 Max Having Trouble Climbing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

'99 Max Having Trouble Climbing

What would possibly cause a difficulty climbing RPM's and speed? I Seafoamed my car with 1 can, and changed my oil to Mobil 1 synthetic just to kind of rule out any possible problems that can be easily fixed first. If i'm cruising at 40 for a minute or two, and i'm approaching a hill; if I dont accelerate way before the hill the car has problems trying to climb. It'll hover 1.5k RPM, and then will finally find the "energy" to bump up the hill. Could this be a problem with the IACV, or MAF sensor? Car seems to not be able to 0-60 pull either. I tried driving hard, and it seemed like there was a cap to how fast the car would really go. I'm sorry if this is confusing, just trying to get an idea as to how I can go about diagnosing the problem. Couldn't find anything matching my problem on the internet. If you have any idea, thank you ahead of time
Old 04-17-2017, 12:02 PM
JvG

Is the check engine light on?
Old 04-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Administrator

^+1

Sounds like MAF, FPR, or weak fuel pump. Has the fuel filter ever been replaced? What spark plugs are you runnin?

Let's hope it's not transmission related...

Last edited by The Wizard; 04-17-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Rit

Originally Posted by The Wizard
^+1

Sounds like MAF, FPR, or weak fuel pump. Has the fuel filter ever been replaced? What spark plugs are you runnin?

Let's hope it's not transmission related...
+ 1

I would start with the cheapest items and proceed form there. Fuel Filter, then plugs...
Old 04-17-2017, 03:10 PM
JvG

If there is no check engine light, start with the fuel filter.

Use common logic. The car starts and runs, but has trouble when asked to accelerate.

What does it need to accelerate? Fuel in sufficient amounts. A dirty fuel filter won't let enough gas through quickly.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JvG
Is the check engine light on?
Check Engine light actually just came on today. I recently Seafoamed my car. I would say I might've done it 80% correct. It removed the majority of the smoothness regarding accelerating, but it doesn't fix the acceleration. I still have a slow acceleration. Still has trouble going from idle at 1.5k cruising to a quicker pace.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Rit
+ 1

I would start with the cheapest items and proceed form there. Fuel Filter, then plugs...
I sent my car to the Nissan dealership. Got them to run a diagnosis on my car and have it worked on. Problem still persists after. Guy tells me i should Seafoam my car cause I'm having a loss of power and i Do and it helps only slightly
Old 04-21-2017, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jermaul Williams
I sent my car to the Nissan dealership. Got them to run a diagnosis on my car and have it worked on. Problem still persists after. Guy tells me i should Seafoam my car cause I'm having a loss of power and i Do and it helps only slightly
Nissan's solution is to Seafoam your engine?! Wow. Ask for your money back and take it somewhere else.