4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rough idle and chugging under acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 04:59 PM

Rough idle and chugging under acceleration.

Greetings folks! I am back with a 98 GXE AT Maxima this time around that I saved from the dead.

I have an issue here that boggles my mind and which is also intermittent.
If I hit the gas hard I'll get a half second hesitation before taking off.
If I apply 50% throttle, acceleration wont be smooth, it will kind of chug all the way up past 2500 rpms then seems to act normal.

The idle is kind of lumpy sometimes again also intermittently but the car doesn't misfire. No codes are set whatsoever no matter how many times I check. Again if I slam on it I'll get the half second hesitation then it takes off like a bat outta hell. Also about 10% of the time it accelerates great with no issues at all!

I am leaning towards MAF @ Fuel filter as they were never changed and the car has 150,000 miles on it. What do you guys think?
Old 04-30-2017, 04:13 AM

If the fuel filter hasn't been changed in 150,000 miles at this age, it should be changed.

The MAF can be cleaned.

Usually when I've found a bad MAF on an AT, it causes the car to stall at stop lights. That causes me to keep my foot on the acceleration to keep the RPM up. It's possible you could have having the beginnings of a MAF problem.

However, low fuel pressure or a vacuum leak could be behind the symptoms as well. I would start with low cost items like the fuel filter and check for vacuum leaks first.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:25 AM

Pay the TPS some attention as well.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:01 AM

I'd start with the easy first......

Fuel Filter, Air Filter and check the Plugs for integrity.Then move on to what TB and CS suggested!

Codes?