4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Center Dash A/C Vent Problem Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 04:53 PM

Center Dash A/C Vent Problem Resolved

Ever since I bought the 98 Maxima last summer, the center A/C vents never worked. Cold air would be distributed from the side dash vents, but no air from the center vents.

When I would run HVAC diagnostics I could never get a full cycle with a complete code 52. If I recall correctly, one of the recommendations was to replace the "auto amp" unit. So today I decided to give it a try.

It turns out I had an extra climate control "auto amp" from an Infiniti I30. The unit was from a 99 model. I figured that I'm asking for trouble in trying to use a unit from a 99 model I30 in the 98 Maxima. The I30 unit came with an "Ambient Air" temp button that was not on 98 Maxima unit.

Sure enough, it worked.

One item that I tried that may have have helped the center vent circulation problem was to use compressed air to "blow out" the screen that that sits behind the center vents and the air duct unit.

Here's a picture of the center vent screen location below.

Name:  00_Vent_Screen_Area.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  375.7 KB

After initially "blowing out" the screen out with compressed air, I sprayed the screen with a small amount of MAF cleaner, and gave it another shot of compressed air.

It seemed to clean up ok.

Name:  01_Center_Vent_Screen.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  426.4 KB

After I put everything back together with the Infiniti control unit and an additional strip of faux wood trim from an I30, it all worked. Note "Ambient Air" temp display also works.

So the 98 Maxima GLE, just got another step closer to becoming an I30t. It already has suspension parts from an I30t, I30 leather seats, I30 leather door panels, VLSD transmission, and the trunk mat. What else should I do? Ha!

Name:  02_AMB_Display.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  345.9 KB

Here's the video that I followed to remove the radio and control unit.

Last edited by CS_AR; 05-28-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:45 PM

Cool! Do all Maximas have the screen or just the ones with auto climate?

What was on the screen? Leaf material you could see or just dust?

Did you try to blow it out with the fan on?

Last edited by allmazda; 05-28-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by allmazda
Cool! Do all Maximas have the screen or just the ones with auto climate?

What was on the screen? Leaf material you could see or just dust?

Did you try to flow it out with the fan on?
I think they should all have the screen. Though the only ones I've worked with had climate control.

The screen appeared to have a lot of dust but no leaf material.

Since I had the climate control disconnected, I just used compressed air. The compressed air blew the dust and material away from screen and out the side vents. It was a little messy but it worked.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:39 PM

Man, have you been busy this weekend! Glad you've been successful at everything you had on the list! It's at the least, satisfying. Especially when you know how much the dealers cost and their questionable ethics.

You know you needed a new engine to fix this at the dealer. LOL

Always thought you were a cool guy, but now it's for sure with those 2 extra vents pumping out extra Ice Cube cold breeze! Always fun when a lady friend is in the seat next to you. LOL

Old 05-29-2017, 04:00 AM
98 SE

I did a similar I30 auto amp swap with our 98 SE. Love having the ambient air at your fingertips. Also did the faux wood trim...looks great!.

Only thing left to do is the trunk tie downs. I30's had them, Maxima's did not. I've got an extra set (10 pcs) for $25 or trade, or, you know where the junkyard is.
The tie downs are a nice, small upgrade.

Good job on the car!

[QUOTE=CS_AR;9148556]

So the 98 Maxima GLE, just got another step closer to becoming an I30t. It already has suspension parts from an I30t, I30 leather seats, I30 leather door panels, VLSD transmission, and the trunk mat. What else should I do? Ha!
Attached Thumbnails Center Dash A/C Vent Problem Resolved-tiedown.jpg  

Last edited by 93SCMax; 05-29-2017 at 04:03 AM.