4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fresh Air Improvements With An SRI ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 05:16 AM

Fresh Air Improvements With An SRI ...

I’d been a little bit obsessing over this topic for a little while now … The topic of creating a means for allowing fresh (er) air to find its way to a SRI … and in my case it’s the JWT SRI.

Anyway, I’m confident that I’ve found a solution that seems to be working quite well.

My solution was to cut up my OE air filter box (just the bottom portion) and also reinstalled the OE intake snorkel.

In cutting up the filter box bottom what I did was remove 3 of the 4 walls of the box, but leaving the “front” wall that includes the snorkel attachment flange.

I cut the box bottom using a dremel and a cut-off disc. What I have left is really just the box floor, inclusive of the box’s three attachment grommets and, like I said, the box front to allow for the attachment of the intake snorkel in its original position.

What this allows is the introduction of additional fresh air (most effective with the car moving in a forward direction with increasing effectiveness as speeds increase) when/where not much fresh was available previously.

What this also allows is the reattachment of the IAT sensor at the OE location.

I’ve driven the car of a full 5 days now and I can honestly tell you that things are different/better.

Acceleration seems improved. Smoothness is nicer. The care “pulls” a little stronger and there was a slight hesitation at tip-in previously present that’s now gone.

I can’t say that the improvements I’m experiencing are completely due to the increased fresh air though.

I’m not sure things aren’t better because of the reinstallation of the IAT sensor to its designed location in the snorkel … previously I had it zip tied to the inside of the driver’s side wheel well kind of out of sight and probably not in the optimal location for accurate air temp measurement.

Anyway, this has been quite an improvement in my estimation although I have destroyed my OE air box.

I don’t have photos at the moment but can certainly provide some if anyone cares.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Old 06-02-2017, 05:33 PM

I'm dealing with my knocking rn but I've been wanting to cut a hole by the battery and get some (black) insulated ducting from lowes to have it pulling air from the wheel well instead of engine bay

Edit: I also just thought of an improvement to this, you could cut out for the intake scoop and temp sensor and add those in

Last edited by Violator; 06-03-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:13 PM

Would love to see pictures! Been thinking about doing something similiar.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any pictures since then? I think I'm following your words but of course seeing your engine bay would be immensely helpful.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:09 PM

it's a secret......