4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Where to go to have A/C vacuumed and refilled

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 01:07 PM

Where to go to have A/C vacuumed and refilled

Replacing condenser/dryer this week (doing it myself). System has no refrigerant as it all leaked out.

Just wondering, I assume simply getting a couple cans of "freon" and refilling won't be enough. I guess it'd need to have the whole process redone.

Dumb question but, any chains someone could recommend after doing a DIY fix? Looking at either Aamco, Firestone, the Nissan Dealer, or Midas. Only because I'm out of town and want to be able to return to any store in case I need to.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:13 PM

... any of them.

Or a local automotive A/C shop.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
... any of them.

Or a local automotive A/C shop.
OH okay. I've had mixed experiences with a/c work which is why I ask. But atleast I'm taking parts and labor prices out the equation. Everything was under $80...hope it holds up.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:47 PM

Take the plunge.... A cheap vacuum pump and gauge set from Amazon will do the job.

My advice would be before you start or head out to the shop would be to remove the compressor and drain the oil. You don't know how much oil is left in the system.
Amazon Amazon

A pump, pump oil, compressor oil, gauge set, and 2 cans of 134 from Walmart would be under $200.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:46 AM

You can use Duracool instead of Freon. You need less Duracool than R134 by mass and it's easier on the engine, but cools the same. I use Duracool in all of my vehicles. It is compatible with R134 and can be mixed with it for topping up. The best part is you do not need oil when using Duracool. Its molecule is also much larger so it is not so prone to escaping through microscopic cracks.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:16 AM

In addition to the note above to change and have the correct amount of oil in the compressor, change the Schrader valves. I've had to rework a charging due to leaking valves more than once.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
In addition to the note above to change and have the correct amount of oil in the compressor, change the Schrader valves. I've had to rework a charging due to leaking valves more than once.
Which brings me to next question as I bought some valves with the intent on changing them, but now I can't get the other ones off and the ones I bought don't even seem to be a match. How do I get it off as there seems to be no grip. Using pliers only ended up slipping and scratching it.

So far 2 duds in this process, the drier from Amazon and the valves from advance. Atleast the condenser though looks much better.

I'd love to do the home kit but I'm already burnt out on buying stuff. Started changing hoses, fuel filter, and now EGR valve will be next process.

Last edited by 97_GXE; 06-06-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:01 PM

There is an A/C Schrader valve tool that I bought at Advance. I buy the valve kit that has two large and two small valves with caps at Advance. Throw away the small valves and use the large ones. Make sure the new valve springs are good before installation. I've found a new valve with a broken spring before.

Last edited by CS_AR; 06-06-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
There is an A/C Schrader valve tool that I bought at Advance. I buy the valve kit that has two large and two small valves with caps at Advance. Throw away the small valves and use the large ones. Make sure the new valve springs are good before installation. I've found a new valve with a broken spring before.
Well advanced convinced me I have the right valve set (I have 2 separate ones with the valve and housing).

The OEM high side cap fit the aftermarket one but not the low side. I'm considering just returning and either going to the dealer (for the part) or just have wherever I get it serviced at to remove it. I don't know why they didn't have the caps with the valve. Just unnecessary frustration.

But for the record...the housing of the valve actually comes off the pipe? Looks like it's welded in there. Don't want to break it...trying to keep this whole DIY on the low as I know once they know you worked on it, they blame you if anything goes wrong.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:06 PM

You need one of these....

Amazon Amazon

A regular valve remover is too small or short rather to work.

Any auto place will have them. You just need to get one that is long enough to reach down and grab it. The valve just threads in like a bolt.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:34 PM

This whole drier trip is becoming a crock of crap. Between removing the battery to get it off, and the stubborn connector, and the o-rings. Now I'm just wishing I'd of just left it on...but it is original and the system is open.

I order a replacement because the one I ordered before on Amazon was the wrong one..,even though it said thru 2/97 (mine was made in February). Then I go to advance, they give me one that looks right, but the connections are off. It's supposed to look like Mickey Mouse but instead it's next to each other. Several tries to fit it didn't work, the a/c hoses aren't the slightest bit flexible.

Unless they gave me the wrong one, I'm about to either find a store that has a Denso one or go to the dealer. Screw these crappy aftermarket a/c parts

Last edited by 97_GXE; 06-07-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:12 AM

There was a mid year ac change in 97. The new one is for after the switch. Get one for a 95-96. I believe the compressor changed as well as the condenser.

The other thing to check is the fitting from the compressor to your new condenser. The hose fitting to the condenser is a different size.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by allmazda
There was a mid year ac change in 97. The new one is for after the switch. Get one for a 95-96. I believe the compressor changed as well as the condenser.

The other thing to check is the fitting from the compressor to your new condenser. The hose fitting to the condenser is a different size.
Forgot I made this thread. You were right on the year change, but the ultimate solution came when I found out that the 97-01 Infiniti q45 drier is what has been in there the whole time. Everything is put back together, but no driers from any year Maxima fit, even though autozone and advance claimed to sell the ones that looked like mine. Not sure how I ended up with q45/pathfinder a/c drier that fits the maxima condenser.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:54 AM

The drier picture on the left looks like a drier I bought for the 91 Q45.

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-26-2017, 04:55 PM

Well that one for the 91 q45 is similar but I think the older r12 one was larger. Tried that one as well before this and it didn't match up.

But FINALLY got my a/c done. ****ing ridiculous. The shops down here wanted $125, couldn't really find many specials. Ended up coming across a Groupon sale for $59. Well they come back to say the area around the drier was leaking. So ended up having to pay them an extra $60 to put O-rings On. I put the ones that came with the new drier but some reason they weren't sealing up. That's after I had to get them to drop it down a little from $70/hr...

I hate **** like that. Then they give the whole "don't do it yourself" lecture on air conditioning. I try not to argue too much but it's irritating when you think you did something right and it then have to pay extra money to have them re-do it. Usually only have that problem with doing a/c. But why would I want to pay someone $400/500 to fix a condenser/drier which is only held on with 4/5 bolts?

But I think some places penalize you for DIY stuff. And the costs to evac and recharge an a/c system is crazy considering it an older car and the possibility of leaks again. But for the most part they said that everything held up and the a/c has been really cold.