4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Battery/alt.charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 05:37 PM

Battery/alt.charging issue

Hi i noticed to day when i wet to start my car its was only charging at 11.52 volt so i also checked it with my multi meter and it says the same thing. question is.
Is my alternator about to go.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by maximaham
Hi i noticed to day when i wet to start my car its was only charging at 11.52 volt so i also checked it with my multi meter and it says the same thing. question is.
Is my alternator about to go.
I don't know much about voltage, but I do know if you're alternator goes out...the battery light and brake light will stay on. Sometimes it'll die right away, or it'll wait 250 miles into a trip and die on you in the middle of nowhere. True story.

However, I had some scares where my brake and battery light would remain on right after starting up. Turning car off and restart usually clears it. I recently cleaned and regressed the cables, that seems to have helped with my start up issues.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by 97_GXE
I don't know much about voltage, but I do know if you're alternator goes out...the battery light and brake light will stay on. Sometimes it'll die right away, or it'll wait 250 miles into a trip and die on you in the middle of nowhere. True story.

However, I had some scares where my brake and battery light would remain on right after starting up. Turning car off and restart usually clears it. I recently cleaned and regressed the cables, that seems to have helped with my start up issues.
Ain't that the truth
Old 06-21-2017, 07:21 PM

If the voltage is 11.2 volts, the alternator is not GOING out - it has ALL READY gone out.

Afully charged battery will measure 12.5 volts, give or take. When the alternator is charging, the voltage reading will be about 14.2 volts.

Any voltage below 12 says that the alternator is not working and you are running off of the battery and discharging it.