4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 02:35 PM

Headlights?

Now I never bought into the "haze removal" products from companies, and instead just replaced the headlight itself.

how difficult is it to put the r33 headlights in the 4th gen?
Seccond if I were to get the yellow haze off, how expensive is an led conversion from halogens?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:46 PM

retrofitsource is having a sale right NOW: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

However, they sell everything you need to rebuild headlights. I'd go with new headlight assemblies and build them up to projectors.

I bought everything almost 2 years ago and have yet to do the project for my car. I do look forward to seeing at night with my 4thy gen. Stock headlights suck!
Old 07-03-2017, 04:53 AM

Remove yellow oxidation = rubbing compound (the red stuff) + polishing compound (the white stuff) + Mothers Aluminum Polish + a good quality car wax ... in that order.

Use an old white t-shirt to apply everything except the wax.

Depending on the severity of your issue, this process may need to be completed 2 perhaps 3 times.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Got Retrofit?

R34s are a direct fit. I do not suggest running LEDs as they will perform worse than the halogens that already perform poorly as is.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:26 PM

My GTO's headlights weren't that yellow, but still had a thick haze. Wet sand + clear coat made them look almost new again.

Name:  TWETyfx.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  353.9 KB

Last edited by komik; 07-16-2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: updated image link
Old 07-04-2017, 05:49 PM

I like the new wheels!

I tried the safeTclear product a few months ago. So far so good. I've treated 4 cars with it. Easy enough to use. I just followed the directions.

https://safetclear.com/shop?olsPage=...olsFocus=false
Old 07-15-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
R34s are a direct fit. I do not suggest running LEDs as they will perform worse than the halogens that already perform poorly as is.
can you link me to a set? I'm curious, also, with this 97 maxima gle did they come with fog lights ? Mine doesn't have them, could I put some in?
Old 07-15-2017, 12:55 PM

Nissan did make for lights for the car. They were stand equipment on the GLE and (I think) SE models, optional on the GLE.

What you need are the light assemblies, the headlight switch for fog lights and a relay for under the hood. Nissan made a fog light kit that you could buy at the dealers, but I think that the kits are all gone by now.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:08 PM

Well you can do a redneck restoration with white crest tooth paste and an old sock on your hand. Spray headlight with water (not windex) put a dab the size of a quater on the sock and buff away for about 5 minutes, making sure to keep the head light wet, it keeps them clear for about 6 months, but is quick and easy, plenty of youtube videos on it. I thought it was a joke, but it does work believe it or not. If you want a more permanant solution use the ideas above. I'm poor with time on my hands, so I do it the rdneck way, in fact doing it today, if I remember I will post pictures.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Icemule
Well you can do a redneck restoration with white crest tooth paste and an old sock on your hand. Spray headlight with water (not windex) put a dab the size of a quater on the sock and buff away for about 5 minutes, making sure to keep the head light wet, it keeps them clear for about 6 months, but is quick and easy, plenty of youtube videos on it. I thought it was a joke, but it does work believe it or not. If you want a more permanant solution use the ideas above. I'm poor with time on my hands, so I do it the rdneck way, in fact doing it today, if I remember I will post pictures.

Here is the one I clean, took about 3 minutes, not perfect, but free and easy, way more noticable if you see it in person.

The pictures are not very clear as I used my phone and was in the shade, this is the dirty one I didn't do.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:01 PM

i used turtle wax headlight restorer kit, 10.00 bux and it takes about an hour and a half. so easy a child could do it.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
i used turtle wax headlight restorer kit, 10.00 bux and it takes about an hour and a half. so easy a child could do it.
Ive never tried that, how long does it last? Evryone has tooth paste and a sock and it look me literly 3 minutes, of course it only lasts for about 6 months, but i'm cool with that. Ive done it to many peoples cars and they freak out thinking I'm playing with them until they see the results. Toothpaste is kinda gritty and is like 2000 grit sand paper, use colgate with the baking powder. But let me know how long the turtle wax lasts and I might try it. Thxs.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:34 PM

Once plastic headlight assembly lenses oxidize and become yellow and more opaque, it's a regular job to keep them acceptable and will be that way until they're replaced. And then you start over with a reprive for a few years until the oxidation breaks through.

Maybe a quality wax might buy a little more time, but what they need after bringing them back up is a coating of something better than what they started with.

KBS DiamondFinish Clear Gloss thinned and painted on with a foam brush looks like a contender. They also sell a headlight restore kit. Their clear coat is amazing stuff and won't yellow. Let it cure for a week and hit with a polish/wax for even better results.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Icemule
Ive never tried that, how long does it last? Evryone has tooth paste and a sock and it look me literly 3 minutes, of course it only lasts for about 6 months, but i'm cool with that. Ive done it to many peoples cars and they freak out thinking I'm playing with them until they see the results. Toothpaste is kinda gritty and is like 2000 grit sand paper, use colgate with the baking powder. But let me know how long the turtle wax lasts and I might try it. Thxs.
well, i just did a set of headlights today and they looked new. you get 4 grits/blocks of sandpaper, lens compound, spray for when your sanding and base wipe and sealer enough for 2 sets of lights. last time i did mine they looked good fora year, but can last longer. i know i could make your lights look a lot better than that.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
I think I'm gonna give this a try as well.

Honestly, I use the sh** outta some other Turlewax detail related products and find them to be just as good as any high dollar stuff I've ever used.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
I think I'm gonna give this a try as well.

Honestly, I use the sh** outta some other Turlewax detail related products and find them to be just as good as any high dollar stuff I've ever used.
just remember to take your time, so many people rush through this and it's not a rush job. you'll see a lot of white water ( old plastic ) dripping down the headlight and until you get to number 4 headlight sanding phase it looks like it's getting worse but you have to put the base coat wipe on and let it dry and then you put the sealer coat on. DO NOT seal one headlight at a time as the little ***** *** wipes that have the base and sealer will dry out. finish sanding both headlights first, then the base and sealer. don't touch the headlights to see if they're dry either, tempting as it is, you'll have to re-sand the headlight and start all over, ask me how i know.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:54 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by 97MaxiCoy
can you link me to a set? I'm curious, also, with this 97 maxima gle did they come with fog lights ? Mine doesn't have them, could I put some in?
Just search ebay for the headlights..

GLEs did not come with fog lights but they can be added. You will need a set with wiring, a fog relay and stalk with high beam switch. The wiring is already there on the vehicle.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:47 AM

plastix by mcquairs is what you use proactively as a preventative measure, like wax on your paint to keep your paint in good shape