4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Magnaflow catalytic converter part #23706 oxygen sensor port too small

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 06:24 PM

NOS 2010-prod Magnaflow catalytic converter part #23706 oxygen sensor port too small

*** EDIT: only old-stock Magnaflow converters of this part number have my issue. They fixed it in November 2014, so a post-11/2014-production unit will have the correct sized oxygen sensor bung. Mine was made in December 2010

for the 95-96 Maxima/I30 with the oxygen sensor in the main cat.

Therefore, you cannot screw the o2 sensor into the bung provided in the cat.

Other than that, the flanges were done correctly, and the Magnaflow converter looks like a high quality part. Just too bad you cannot screw in the oxygen sensor since the bung is too small.

The Magnaflow convertercame with two OEM Nissan gaskets included.

I tested it with a brand new NTK oxygen sensor part #24024, the actual OE part.

Can an exhaust shop weld in the hole from the old cat? Swap the old cat's oxygen sensor hole into the new one?

The California-legal CARB-approved equivalent converter part number is 441704

Last edited by maximaxi; 07-28-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: got a reponse from mfr that they fixed the issue
Old 07-21-2017, 07:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Its not the wrong O2 bung, its just smaller. The emissions sensor that plugs into 95-96 isnt the "standard" size, but you can get the correct, smaller size off rockauto or somewhere similar.

sorry i dont have more info on hand like what the size is but its the dame thing just a lot thinner.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:02 PM

If there any chance you received part number 24630 in a 24024 box?

Here's a picture of the 24024 sensor with the small tip for a 95-96 model.

https://sportcompactwarehouse.com/im.../NTK/24024.jpg

Here's a picture of the larger tip 24630 for later models.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:47 AM

@CS, yes, I am aware of the difference between the 95-96 and 97+ sensors. The one I have looks like your first picture, the smaller tip, with the brown 3-wire connector.

@slamrod, I know it's not the standard size, but the hole is *still* too small.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by maximaxi
@CS, yes, I am aware of the difference between the 95-96 and 97+ sensors. The one I have looks like your first picture, the smaller tip, with the brown 3-wire connector.

@slamrod, I know it's not the standard size, but the hole is *still* too small.

I'm just spitballing here, but can you have it drilled out and rethreaded with a tap and die or heli coil? Something along those lines.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah thats definitely a screwup. No way it should be that small, id look into seeing if you can get some sort of compensation for that. Unless theres some other purpose im not aware of, but certainly no O2 sensor that small is used on our cars.

Like said above, you can just drill it out to the correct size and retap it to the proper threading, this is probably the easiest and cheapest route to take and its something you can do yourself. Alternatively you could cut out that bung and weld in a new one but in all likelyhood its easier just to seal that one and weld in a new one next to it. Id go with just drilling and retapping, its straightforward as it is going to get.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:10 PM

Where did you get your converter? Can you return it and replace it with a different one?

I got my Magnaflow converter from WarpSpeed Performance and my NGK O2 Sensor # 24024 from RockAuto and everything fit perfectly.

Before getting the converter from WarpSpeed I bought a universal one from my neighborhood O'Reilly's only to later realize the difference in O2 sensor sizes. O'Reilly's happily accepted the return.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by komik
Where did you get your converter? Can you return it and replace it with a different one?

I got my Magnaflow converter from WarpSpeed Performance and my NGK O2 Sensor # 24024 from RockAuto and everything fit perfectly.

Before getting the converter from WarpSpeed I bought a universal one from my neighborhood O'Reilly's only to later realize the difference in O2 sensor sizes. O'Reilly's happily accepted the return.
Do you remember the part number of the Magnaflow cat you got from Warpspeed? Was it the same as what I got, 23706?

I bought mine on Amazon, thru the Amazon Warehouse Deals. It was only $69. I can probably return it, since they do give you at least 30 days to do so.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by maximaxi
Do you remember the part number of the Magnaflow cat you got from Warpspeed? Was it the same as what I got, 23706?

I bought mine on Amazon, thru the Amazon Warehouse Deals. It was only $69. I can probably return it, since they do give you at least 30 days to do so.
There is no part number on the packing slip that came with the converter. It just says "high flow Magnaflow catalytic converter 1995-1996 Maxima". Before I ordered it I called and talked to them. My old converter was stolen by cutting a large section out of my exhaust. I no longer had flanges to bolt up a new one. Warpspeed made one for me with extended tubing on each side with no flanges so I could get it welded in place.

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/..._cat_converter

Name:  B8H45mS.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  232.2 KB
Old 07-28-2017, 02:26 PM

********** UPDATE ************

I got a response from Magnaflow!

My converter was 2010-production, and that they had fixed the issue in November 2014

So one made after 11/14 will have the correct size oxygen sensor hole

I am returning this old one now.