4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

occasional and different O2 sensor codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:03 PM

occasional and different O2 sensor codes

First of all, I am a total novice in engine electronics, trying to learn as I go.

I started getting codes 0304 and 0707(KS and rear o2) occasionally a few weeks ago. Each time the CEL came on I just checked the codes and reset it.

I know the KS code is a ghost.

Lately though, things are different and I am getting 0304 and 0303 instead of 0707. So now it's the FRONT-left o2 instead.

Why did the rear o2 stop setting a code? And why did the front-left just start?

Should I really replace the front-left o2 when it may just 'fix itself' like the rear did?

Normal behavior has been for the CEL to come on once or twice a week, and seemingly more likely after driving harder than usual.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:09 PM

How many miles does your car have on the odometer and how long have you owned it?

Is your car a Federal or California version?

It looks like you might need to consider a set of new O2 sensors.

Whenever I buy a used 4th gen usually with mileage over 120,000, I refresh the O2 sensors with a set of new NTK. That keeps away any O2 sensor codes for many years to come.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:47 PM
JvG

You might want to clean the contacts of the oxy sensor fuse. Its located on the right side of the fuse panel by your left knee.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
It looks like you might need to consider a set of new O2 sensors.
Agreed ...

This is one of those maintenance issues that should be addressed regularly and at the recommended intervals at a minimum.