4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 Maxima Stalling Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 02:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

95 Maxima Stalling Out

1st stall was coming off the freeway. As I slowed down, it died. I coasted to a stop. It cranked a few times and started. Drove a few miles home, stalled out while parking. Wouldn't start. Just cranking like it was maybe out of gas. An hour later, it started long enough for me to move it, but it was wanting to stall.

The next day, it started right up and idled fine.

Fluids are fine. Check engine was on when I bought it 2 weeks ago. It's off now. Oil light came on when I stalled. Oil is full.

I'm not a car guy. Please help me out.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:41 AM
Rit

Even though your CEL is now off, the vehicle still will store the codes for a period of time. Go to an auto parts store and have then pull the code, and go from there. If the code has already cleared, it is best to wait for it to come on again. At a guee, it could be the idle air control valve, but that is just a wild a$$ guess.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks
Old 07-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bump
Old 07-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Start with the ECTS. Then look at the FPR.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:13 AM

Like Rit said, go to Autozone or something and get the code pulled, since it is probably still stored in there. Let us know that code(s) you get. Even if you go to Autozone like Rit suggested, you should definitely buy a code reader because the CEL goes on a LOT on these cars! (You don't have to pay a lot of money for one, since eBay and Amazon have them at a good price, but get a name-brand scanner like Actron or Innova)

Even though your car is a 95, it still has the OBDII system, but the connector is in a different location than the 96+ cars.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maximaxi

Even though your car is a 95, it still has the OBDII system, but the connector is in a different location than the 96+ cars.
it on the passenger side in the back of the center councel about a foot off the floor.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have been having the exact same smyptoms with my '95 Maxima. Yesterday it died and wouldnt start after driving it for about five minutes. This morning it started fine, I checked the codes (when engine was cold) and it was 5 long 5 fast (No malfunction). Then I started it again and this time let it idle and after a couple minutes it died. At this point I checked the codes and got a 5 slow 3 fast ( Front right O2 sensor) would that sensor malfunction cause the car to stall, and not start after it gets warm? It will start when I put the gas pedal to floor and crank and crank, and just run long enough to get home a couple miles away.. Any help would be appreciated
Old 08-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by emjee
I have been having the exact same smyptoms with my '95 Maxima. Yesterday it died and wouldnt start after driving it for about five minutes. This morning it started fine, I checked the codes (when engine was cold) and it was 5 long 5 fast (No malfunction). Then I started it again and this time let it idle and after a couple minutes it died. At this point I checked the codes and got a 5 slow 3 fast ( Front right O2 sensor) would that sensor malfunction cause the car to stall, and not start after it gets warm? It will start when I put the gas pedal to floor and crank and crank, and just run long enough to get home a couple miles away.. Any help would be appreciated
See post #5. Test the ECTS and report back.
For the FPR, start by pulling the vacuum hose and see if any fuel is in there. If so, the FPR is bad. If not, it still could be bad and would simply have to be replaced.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
See post #5. Test the ECTS and report back.
For the FPR, start by pulling the vacuum hose and see if any fuel is in there. If so, the FPR is bad. If not, it still could be bad and would simply have to be replaced.
Appreciate your help! Should the check engine light flash the proper code (Which is 09 08) if the ECTS was faulty? Thanks
Old 08-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by emjee
Appreciate your help! Should the check engine light flash the proper code (Which is 09 08) if the ECTS was faulty? Thanks
Not sure. I can tell you from experience, that I've had a bad ECTS shut my car off while driving, and prohibit me from restarting until things cooled down....and no CEL.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Not sure. I can tell you from experience, that I've had a bad ECTS shut my car off while driving, and prohibit me from restarting until things cooled down....and no CEL.
Tried this morning. Pulled the air filter intake and adjacent parts just to get to the dang thing, and couldnt get the plug off the sensor, the tab was a major pain to push back to lift it off. there's a bracket holding some linkage right next to it that prevents me from getting full access. I may have to buy a crows foot. Will report back when I have accomplished this. Everything is packed in like a can of sardines
Old 08-11-2017, 06:08 PM

IIRC - On past jobs, I remove the smaller single wire Engine Temp Sensor (ETS) first so that it gives more clearance to remove the ECTS. So I try to replace both at the same time.

Here's a picture of both sensors with wires off below.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:56 PM
JvG

Don't hesitate to remove the easy things to help access the harder things.

That bracket can be bent out of the way, then bent back aferwards.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, I had a friend replace the ECTS this A.M. During the trip to his house the car ran fine. (Of course lol) Dang intermittent problems are so frustrating! So we will see how it goes. O
O'Reilly auto parts had 2 possibilities, and each have different part numbers though they look almost identical. We compared both and chose the one that looked most like the old one. Also changed the fuel filter (argh!)...will report back if any more trouble..

We could get to it without having to futz with that bracket, he used a crows foot.
Also pulled the hose off the FPR, no fuel.
BTW....SWEEEET pic^^^!

Last edited by emjee; 08-14-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, its been five days now and the problem has not returned. Thank you for the help, it saved me a couple hundred bucks I am sure...