4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Driver Front Signal, What did I fry?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 05:56 PM

Driver Front Signal, What did I fry?

I installed eBay k6 led turn signal mirrors, after installing drivers side by splicing into the the front turn signal, the mirror signal works but my actual turn signal no longer blinks and I get the fast clicking like its out.

Hazards don't flash the bulb either, and when I removed the mirror wire it still doesn't flash. So it's like I've blown something for only that turn signal but yet it still gets power because the mirror signal works if I wire it in

Last edited by Violator; 08-08-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:00 PM

Fast clicking is an indication of too much electrical current going through the flasher. Translation - short circuit.

Somehow in the process of splicing the wire, you messed up. Where did you tap into the wires at? Did you pull/stretch the wire? It may have gotten cut on another part of the car body.

I don't know how this would keep the car from starting. Is the starter spinning the engine and the engine doesn't catch or is it that the starter is "dead"?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Please tell me you had the battery disconnected when you did all this wiring...
Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Please tell me you had the battery disconnected when you did all this wiring...
​​​​​​yes I did but I think I changed where I grounded it to after testing and might of left it on, when I first got the mirror working Im almost positive it didnt do this. I had the battery on a trickle charger and it's possible it still wasnt charged enough to start I'll try more juice when I get home

I tapped in a couple inches away from the bulb, the starter acted dead with no attempt to turn the engine

Continuity test? Anybody know where the other end of the driver side turn signal wiresi

Last edited by Violator; 08-08-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:37 AM

Maybe you just blew out the original turn signal bulb? The fact that the side mirror one blinks should mean the wire is powered that you tapped into. Maybe the side mirror uses an LED which may cause your signal to blink fast, as well (this, I am not 100% on).

I'm not sure why your car won't start though.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:25 PM

Hazard not working: check fuse 11 (10A@JuncBox, driver's left knee)
Fast blink: one of signal bulbs is burnt, either front or back corner even though the bulb is still flashing.

-front turn LH connector:
o
12 : pin1 +, pin 2 grd

-back turn LH plug
o
1234 : pin 2 +, pin 4 grd.

o is the hump when you remove the plug and look directly into the pins. it should appear in the middle of the plug.

Last edited by saig; 08-08-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:53 PM

Is the rear bulb working and only the front bulb is out? Take the turn signal bulb out of the socket and turn the hazard flashers on. Take your voltmeter and see if you are getting pulses of 12 volts on the contact inside the socket, which is the green/black stripe wire. If you are, then check for continuity between the the wall of the socket and chassis ground.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:22 PM

It fast blinks with and the front drivers side turn signal doesnt work even with hazards. Even with led mirror disconnected it doesnt work. Led mirror works when connected even with hazards. tried the other bulb in it. I splice it in a few inches away from the socket

Last edited by Violator; 08-09-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:44 AM

Since you tapped into the wire by the front light and the mirror will light up, everything is good up to the point where you tapped the wire. So from that point to the light socket is suspect.

Like I said in post # 7 above, remove the light bulb and check the voltage in the socket.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Since you tapped into the wire by the front light and the mirror will light up, everything is good up to the point where you tapped the wire. So from that point to the light socket is suspect.

Like I said in post # 7 above, remove the light bulb and check the voltage in the socket.
To use led bulbs in the front turn signals you need to reverse the positive and ground, didn't know that and that's why it wasn't working. They will still cause fast blinking due to less power consumption which can be fixed by resistors or led flashers, hoping AutoZone will have a set of "led flashers" that will fit this car?

​​​​im gonna take it to auto zone and see if they'll test the voltage real quick BC I'm doing something wrong here even though I've used a multimeter hundreds of time or my multimeter is busted BC it doesn't seem to be giving me a legit reading from the working passenger side with the hazards flashing
Old 08-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Have you checked the battery in the meter?
Old 08-10-2017, 01:52 PM

Is the rear bulb working and only the front bulb is out? Take the turn signal bulb out of the socket and turn the hazard flashers on. Take your voltmeter and see if you are getting pulses of 12 volts on the contact inside the socket, which is the green/black stripe wire. If you are, then check for continuity between the the wall of the socket and chassis ground.

The trouble is actually capturing the pulse of 12v. I have a cheap meter and even autozones much nicer one wasnt able to get a good reading on the bulbs that actually work. You just get random low numbers constantly changing on the meter. I tried eliminating a bad spot on the wire and cut out the section I messed with and nothing.

While I was at AutoZone I replaced the flasher as a guess and to also get one thats made for LEDs so the working bulbs would stop flashing fast.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:52 PM

That is right. Since the turn signal in on and off, a digital voltmeter does not react fast enough to show the true voltage. You get a readout that is constantly changing and does not stabilize. But the erratic reading does indicate that voltage is there.

Since you are trying to use a led bulb, why don't you put a regular incandescent bulb in and see what happens. Have you tried checking the continuity of the bulb socket ground, measuring from the contact inside the socket to chassis ground?
Old 08-11-2017, 01:24 PM

That is right. Since the turn signal in on and off, a digital voltmeter does not react fast enough to show the true voltage. You get a readout that is constantly changing and does not stabilize. But the erratic reading does indicate that voltage is there.

Since you are trying to use a led bulb, why don't you put a regular incandescent bulb in and see what happens. Have you tried checking the continuity of the bulb socket ground, measuring from the contact inside the socket to chassis ground?
Continuity from the positive to the negative or you mean of the negative to the ground behind the drivers headlight
Old 08-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Violator
Continuity from the positive to the negative or you mean of the negative to the ground behind the drivers headlight
The second part of your statement. Check from the negative contact part inside the light bulb socket to chassis ground. The screw behind the headlight is OK, the negative battery post is OK, any part of the car body is OK as long as you are touching bare metal.

Continuity between positive and negative is known as a short circuit and blows fuses.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:20 PM

The second part of your statement. Check from the negative contact part inside the light bulb socket to chassis ground. The screw behind the headlight is OK, the negative battery post is OK, any part of the car body is OK as long as you are touching bare metal.

Continuity between positive and negative is known as a short circuit and blows fuses.
There is continuity from the bulb ground to the chassis ground. At the bulbs the power constantly bounces around with the hazards on BUT

Interestingly the wires at the flasher relay under the steering wheel I do get 12v on the green/red passenger side signal, but the green/black for the drivers is bouncing around 1 to 12
Old 08-24-2017, 06:51 PM

The green/red wire comes from the fuse so it should be a solid, constant 12 volts.

The green/black goes to the left side light bulbs and will be a blinking 12 volts because of the flasher.

The green/yellow goes to the right side light bulbs so it will also be a blinking 12 volts.

Do you feel confident enough to unplug the wires from the hazard flasher switch, then jumper 12 volts to the green/red wire on the turn signal flasher? Then try the turn signals. The electrical circuit for the turn signals goes through the hazard flasher switch. This would eliminate the hazard switch which has been known to go bad.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:43 PM

This is what I'm working with, flasher relay closest with the ground, green/black and green/reddish orange. I am not seeing the yellow/black
Old 08-26-2017, 09:27 AM

The flasher only has 3 wires on it, the ones you mentioned. I was just stating the wire colors as a reference. This is a case where too much info was a bad thing.

But what I said about bypassing the hazard flasher switch is valid and if you could try that, that would be great.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:31 AM

The flasher only has 3 wires on it, the ones you mentioned. I was just stating the wire colors as a reference. This is a case where too much info was a bad thing.

But what I said about bypassing the hazard flasher switch is valid and if you could try that, that would be great.
Are you referring to the actual button switch on the dash for the hazards? If so I've actually even got a working spare I can try when I get off work, otherwise I'm not sure what part you're referring to but i am perfectly comfortable cutting wires I spent hundreds of hours soldering modchips into Xbox 360s in my teens

Last edited by Violator; 08-28-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not tryna hyjack the thread but what does it mean if the fast blinking happens only sometimes?
Old 08-28-2017, 03:58 PM

Pretty disappointed in the amount of wires I tested, cut, soldered twisted fuses I checked and changed etc etc only to find out that the smaller side contact inside where the bulb goes simply needed bent to make more contact. Tomorrow I'll be fixing up the mess of wires I made and enjoying my fully functioning turn signals and the signal mirrors which I love. Very disappointed it was something so simple and not really much my fault. Would of been dealing with this issue for awhile longer had I not pressed the bulb just right so that I got a flash of light, I had messed with it before also and it just never made the right contact

Last edited by Violator; 08-28-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Violator
Pretty disappointed in the amount of wires I tested, cut, soldered twisted fuses I checked and changed etc etc only to find out that the smaller side contact inside where the bulb goes simply needed bent to make more contact. Tomorrow I'll be fixing up the mess of wires I made and enjoying my fully functioning turn signals and the signal mirrors which I love. Very disappointed it was something so simple and not really much my fault. Would of been dealing with this issue for awhile longer had I not pressed the bulb just right so that I got a flash of light, I had messed with it before also and it just never made the right contact
Welcome to the wonder world of car repair. Touch something and something else stops working. But you did find the problem and that's all that counts. The how is unimportant. Congratulations.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Not tryna hyjack the thread but what does it mean if the fast blinking happens only sometimes?
It means you have an intermittent connection somewhere. It could be as simple as a light bulb going bad or it could be a wire harness problem.

Until you can find a light bulb that is not working, there is no way of telling you where to start.

Intermittent problems are the worst kind. You might have to live with it until it becomes more consistent.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It means you have an intermittent connection somewhere. It could be as simple as a light bulb going bad or it could be a wire harness problem.

Until you can find a light bulb that is not working, there is no way of telling you where to start.

Intermittent problems are the worst kind. You might have to live with it until it becomes more consistent.
Just to clarify - the issue would be strictly with the turn signals and associated wiring/relays/etc, correct? As in, an electrical issue elsewhere on the car couldnt cause something like this to occur? Youre right about it being the worst. It comes and goes whenever it pleases with no rhyme or reason , its gone away mid turn even.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:31 PM

Yes, the issue would be strictly with the turn signals and associated wiring/relays/etc. In the electrical world, everything is a circuit. Circuits are separate and independent. Each has its own fuses, switches, lamps, relays, solenoids and whatever. So a problem in a circuit will not affect another.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Just to clarify - the issue would be strictly with the turn signals and associated wiring/relays/etc, correct? As in, an electrical issue elsewhere on the car couldnt cause something like this to occur? Youre right about it being the worst. It comes and goes whenever it pleases with no rhyme or reason , its gone away mid turn even.
Is it only a specific direction? Id try making sure all the contacts make good contact with the bulbs by bending them towards the bulb, both the ground and power contacts. Buy some bulbs and try those, the signal flasher is $10 at an auto store plug and play. I'd say it's likely to be one of those issues, otherwise it's probably a broken wire