4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Got 95-96 DavidL tails, installed them, and...WELL....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 05:28 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Got 95-96 DavidL tails, installed them, and...WELL....

Ok, I finally got my tails and installed them. Installation was fairly easy, just messy.

The white doesn't match the stock inner tails as good as I thought it would, and the new bulbs are brighter than the ones on the stock inner tails . I guess a trip to discount auto parts will fix that.

In the little crease between the clear/red, there is blotches of paint that dripped. It looks pretty bad. I mean the paint job is great, but like RavQ says if you paint the inside of the tails then you cant paint that middle part. Well some of the paint dripped in that part and it looks kinda sloppy

Overall I'd say its a fairly good job. I know I couldn't do any better, but he is supposed to be a pro. I mean I am pleased, but it just bugs me about that dripped paint.

I guess thats the best a guy can do, but I just thought they would be perfect like everyone said.

Oh well.

Anyone else have similer problems ?
Old 02-01-2002, 05:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pics?
Old 02-01-2002, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by clee130
Pics?

I will get 'em tommorow afternoon in a thread w/ the duals.

From a distance you couldnt tell, and from a picture you proly couldn't tell, it's just one of those things an enthusiast notices. It's mainly just one spot on the left taillight where it dripped. Noticable from up close.

I mean, alot of people don't even know there is a difference between 95-96 and 97-99 maximas, but, obviously there are.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:12 AM

I'm disappointed in you Craig.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Old 02-03-2002, 07:23 AM
Administrator

you have so much problems with them.. sell them to me and go back to your ugly **** lights..
Old 02-03-2002, 07:30 AM
i SeE what you did therE

better yet.. sell the car.. and get a 97-99

and get a set a good cleared out tail lights...
Old 02-03-2002, 08:10 AM

The only complaint i had about my tails when i got them 3yrs ago was that they had a small clear strip around the outter edge all the way around the tails(barely noticable in my sig)
I later learned thats how all of his "1st batch" clear/reds came out. Oh well i learned to deal and im sur eyou can too Craig.
As for the blinker lense not matching, thats how EVERY aftermarket "clear tail" looks compared to stock made by APC, we all have that problem.
Just be happy he even did them for you guys again

Ant
Old 02-03-2002, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by ny96max
The only complaint i had about my tails when i got them 3yrs ago was that they had a small clear strip around the outter edge all the way around the tails(barely noticable in my sig)
I later learned thats how all of his "1st batch" clear/reds came out. Oh well i learned to deal and im sur eyou can too Craig.
As for the blinker lense not matching, thats how EVERY aftermarket "clear tail" looks compared to stock made by APC, we all have that problem.
Just be happy he even did them for you guys again

Ant
he won't... you can never satisfy ungratefull mother f#ckers
Old 02-03-2002, 08:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My clears from david came perfect... not clear strip around the lense, no dripped paint, and the red matched perfect. The lense itself is a different shade of clear - nothing you (or he for that matter) can do about that.

I waited a looooooong time for mine over the summer and boy were they worth the wait.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Old 02-03-2002, 11:59 AM
Lightly modded

how can i contact david, i really want those lights. how much were they?
Old 02-03-2002, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by 95maxrider
how can i contact david, i really want those lights. how much were they?
he doesn't make them anymore.. its only done as a favor
Old 02-03-2002, 12:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine have a small amount of clear around the outer edge of the red, but it doesn't look bad. . . As for the white not matching, it isn't his fault, APC didn't make it so it matched originally, and we just paid David to do the red. I don't think it is that bad looking, it could be a lot worse. At least you have a mod that not a lot of other people have because it isn't avail without some knowledge on how to modify a lens. . . I am personally glad that I got them because I know of only 1 other person in NorCal that has them.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
he doesn't make them anymore.. its only done as a favor
A 4 month, $175 favor
Old 02-03-2002, 12:42 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

if i was davidL , I would never make them ever again. Let someone else deal with it.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Craig Mack

A 4 month, $175 favor
you are a f#cking idiot.. next time i have a group deal or anything.. remind me never to include little b!tches like you..
Old 02-03-2002, 12:51 PM

you are a f#cking idiot.. next time i have a group deal or anything.. remind me never to include little b!tches like you..
ditto
Old 02-03-2002, 12:57 PM

Old 02-03-2002, 02:05 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Craig, I don't blame you one bit man. I am a PERFECTIONIST and I LOVE my car so I would feel exactly the same way. I never settle. What I would do though is try contacting David in a nice, professional manner and express what you are unsatisfied with. I'm sure he'd be willing to take them back and fix them and/or trade with another set. But anyway, don't listen to these guys trying to tell you that you don't have a right to complain about unperfect work. Who are they to tell you to simply stick them on your car and 'ignore' the drips. I know wouldn't, it would bother me. (That's why I do everything myself that I can). Good luck.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:10 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed
Craig, I don't blame you one bit man. I am a PERFECTIONIST and I LOVE my car so I would feel exactly the same way. I never settle. What I would do though is try contacting David in a nice, professional manner and express what you are unsatisfied with. I'm sure he'd be willing to take them back and fix them and/or trade with another set. But anyway, don't listen to these guys trying to tell you that you don't have a right to complain about unperfect work. Who are they to tell you to simply stick them on your car and 'ignore' the drips. I know wouldn't, it would bother me. (That's why I do everything myself that I can). Good luck.
Thanks bro!

Yea, if everyone is saying how perfect DavidL's work is, I just get a little ****ed when it ISNT at all. And when I pay $175 of MY dollars, and wait patiently for multiple shipping dates that never went through, I have the right to complain. F*ck any of yall who think davidl is some kind of god who we should be "all greatfull" that he is doing this for us.

I appriciate that he came back to do a last group deal and all, but he is still getting payed and he is still expected to be profesional about it. It is still a business and I am the customer and I have the ****ing right to complain if i'm not satisfied. If it was some kinda deal where he didn't make money off it hell yea i'd be damn grateful, but it's not.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:13 PM

Re: Re: :o)

Yea, if everyone is saying how perfect DavidL's work is, I just get a little ****ed when it ISNT at all. And when I pay $175 of MY dollars, and wait patiently for multiple shipping dates that never went through, I have the right to complain. **** any of yall who think davidl is some kind of god who we should be "greatful" that he is doing this for us.
If he didn't do them, where would you get them from? Just sell them if you aren't happy, I'm sure that someone else will pick them up. I like things to look perfect on my car too. That's why I also try to do it myself so I have no one else to blame. But if you can do it yourself, you can only conplain so much. If I was Craig, I would just sell them, and pimp around with your red/orange tails.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by NickStam

If he didn't do them, where would you get them from? Just sell them if you aren't happy, I'm sure that someone else will pick them up. I like things to look perfect on my car too. That's why I also try to do it myself so I have no one else to blame. But if you can do it yourself, you can only conplain so much. If I was Craig, I would just sell them, and pimp around with your red/orange tails.
That is the thing. I DO like them, I was just pointing out they are not as perfect as I thought they would be. I was merely venting a little and asking if anyone had similer problems. They do look alot better than the orange.

I could probubly figure it out, but yes DavidL does good work. Even If I can't do it and he can, he is still getting payed for doing it!

Once again I am appriciative of his work, but as a customer I am just speaking my mind.

Nickstam and Sprint, I sure hope you don't get all offended over this. Sheesh.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:08 PM

he won't... you can never satisfy ungratefull mother f#ckers
i definitly agree with you Doug!

Ant
Old 02-04-2002, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

sell the **** and shut the f#ck up.. i am sure you could get $190 easy for them in the for sale forum.. **** .. let me know.. i will put them up for sale and take the $15 profit..

simple as that..

obviously you couldn't do a better job thats why you had someone "f#ck up" your tail lights.. next time do your **** your f#cking self..

thats why I make my own tail lights

That is the thing. I DO like them, I was just pointing out they are not as perfect as I thought they would be. I was merely venting a little and asking if anyone had similer problems. They do look alot better than the orange.

I could probubly figure it out, but yes DavidL does good work. Even If I can't do it and he can, he is still getting payed for doing it!

Once again I am appriciative of his work, but as a customer I am just speaking my mind.

Nickstam and Sprint, I sure hope you don't get all offended over this. Sheesh.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:16 AM
Administrator

so craig.. what would you have done if you bought them from custommaxima and they came out pink like these?

you would have took the whole 4th Gen forum down huh? its funny.. none of the guys who got greg's tail lights publicly b!tched about it.. they contacted greg privately and tried to work something out.. and he told them if they didn't like it.. get a can of spray paint and do it themselves.. of FYI: those red ones are David L lights and the pink ones are Gregs

Old 02-04-2002, 08:19 AM

NOPI sells APC clear tail lights for $160, by the time they arrive at your door they will cost ~$175, which is what you paid. Now you have to buy paint (if you want the same paint David uses it will cost ~$25-30). Now you have to spend hours painting them, letting them dry, painting them again, then apply a protective clear coat. Chances are that unless you really know what your doing they will not be nearly as good as "David's imperfect" ones. So far you would have spent over $200, plus hours and hours of your time and ended up with something less that what you have now. David makes next to nothing selling these tail lights, and the only reason he sells them for so cheap is because he is extremely generous to fellow Maxima enthusiasts (although I don't know why).

If you are do displeased with them, I am willing to buy them off of you for $190 + shipping.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:29 AM

David L did mine and they look great, very professional and hight quality--no drips, etc. Thanks for doing this for us Dave--i see so many 95/96 maxes with the nasty orange lenses and i'm grateful to have my clear tails!
Old 02-04-2002, 11:37 AM

I got taillights from DavidL almost a year ago. I'm very satisfied with the work. The car looks 100% better with these. As far as David making money of the taillights, doubt he makes much. If he makes any money, it is not worth the frustration of having to deal with the clear taillight vendors and ungrateful .org members that he provides this service for. I wonder why he stopped making them??
Old 02-04-2002, 11:48 AM

you all just shut up and get altezzas
Old 02-04-2002, 01:36 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

sell the **** and shut the f#ck up.. i am sure you could get $190 easy for them in the for sale forum.. **** .. let me know.. i will put them up for sale and take the $15 profit..

simple as that..

obviously you couldn't do a better job thats why you had someone "f#ck up" your tail lights.. next time do your **** your f#cking self..

thats why I make my own tail lights

You kiss your mother with that mouth?
Old 02-04-2002, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

yes
Old 02-04-2002, 03:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Its sad isn't it ? Someone could get so worked up over this..at least you have a level head, Potatohead

Ok people. I got this pic of his tails. From the angle and the crappy scan quality, the imperfections arent as noticable.

But I want you to look closely and see if you can see any imperfections. I want you to tell me your 95 red/clears look like that.

Maybe I am just a perfectionist but I want the best for my car.

So anyways here, tell me what you think of his work..

Notice the small blotch of red that got away from the rest..

Now to calm down people who may be so **** about DavidL like Mr. Sprint is, here is a good pic of my tails. Like I said from a distance they blend right in..

Old 02-04-2002, 03:50 PM

They dont look so bad from a duistance but are normal people gonna look at them the same as us or do they just glance quick and think they look cool without breaking out the magnifying glass? Probably to regular people they look fine. I think for the most part they do to.

SuDZ
Old 02-04-2002, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
They dont look so bad from a duistance but are normal people gonna look at them the same as us or do they just glance quick and think they look cool without breaking out the magnifying glass? Probably to regular people they look fine. I think for the most part they do to.

SuDZ
I agree.

I am just saying as the owner I expected perfection becuase thats what everyone says..and how freakn **** sprint gets about it that was another reason...O well.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:02 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Sexima
you all just shut up and get altezzas
refer to sig to see why they dont have altezzas.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:23 PM
Administrator

I have no problem with you having an issue over the quality of the work.. my problem is.. you should have contacted him privately.. and never took it to a public forum..
Old 02-04-2002, 05:27 PM

I have no problem with you having an issue over the quality of the work.. my problem is.. you should have contacted him privately.. and never took it to a public forum..
That's the thing, I just wanted to see if others have the same "defects". I don't believe its worth the hassle of removing them, shipping them back, waiting forever for him to fix it, and ship it back, and re-install it!

That's why I just posted the pics of it to get everyone's opinions on what they think of them...
Old 02-04-2002, 06:24 PM
Administrator

That's the thing, I just wanted to see if others have the same "defects". I don't believe its worth the hassle of removing them, shipping them back, waiting forever for him to fix it, and ship it back, and re-install it!

That's why I just posted the pics of it to get everyone's opinions on what they think of them...
sell them to supermachoman
Old 02-04-2002, 07:23 PM

sell them to supermachoman
no...hell no. I didnt wait 4 months just to sell them off again

please dont reply unless you have an opinion on my davidl tails...

i didnt post that pic for nuttin

Quick Reply: Got 95-96 DavidL tails, installed them, and...WELL....