4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

R34 retros wont aim

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

R34 retros wont aim

Title says it all. Got around to installing them the other night and while they look fantastic, they needed to be aimed. Luckily the passenger side is about spot on where it should be - however the driver side is way too low. Im aware its meant to be slightly lower to avoid blinding incoming traffic but its like a difference of a few feet on light dispersion. Theyre practically pointed at the ground.

I tried the adjustment screw on the back of the headlight unit but nothing happened. Tried turning the other way just to see - still nothing. I even tried adjusting the passenger side and nothing happened.

Do r34 retros just lack the ability to be adjusted once they are put together? Or am i missing something obvious? Do i basically have a pair of extremely expensive paperweights? At this point im better off putting in the halogen r34 set i replaced with these since they light the road better than these are doing.

Hoping someone can come along and tell me im not totally fecked on this one. Was really geeked that i finally put these in but now i just sorta feel like sht about it.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, did some digging and to answer my own question it appears projectors cannot be adjusted on a retrofit without opening the whole unit up and adjusting them manually. Which is something that is simply out of my league.

This got me thinking though; i still havnt wired in the highbeams, as i planned to use the projectors' bixenon feature rather than the normal halogen bulbs/reflectors. This required me to splice in new connectors on my harness which i simply have not got around to doing yet. But what if i just keep my highbeams on all the time? The driverside in theory would be adequet as the current cutoff is so low that the highbeam cutoff should be just about right. As for the passenger side - i could simply resplice the harness so the low beam bulb is activated by putting on high beams. With the driver side always on highbeam (and not too low anymore) and the passenger side rewired so that activating highbeams only turns on the lowbeam, i could probably get a pretty decent cuttoff all around. Hopefully that makes sense..

Yes, this is GHETTO as ****. It would only be a temporary measure until i could have the projector fixed. I wouldnt have the ability to put on highbeams anymore while this system is in place. But i think it would work.

Anyone have opinions on this? Or see any flaws in my line of thinking (besides being ultra jerryrigged)? People who have experience with retros and/or HIDs - your thoughts here are especially welcome.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Got Retrofit?

Are these the lights that I freshened up for you? Or another set?

Send me a PM I'll get you straight.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Are these the lights that I freshened up for you? Or another set?

Send me a PM I'll get you straight.
Same lights. Took me all these years to get around to putting them in because I just couldnt make sense of how to wire the HIDs but i finally buckled down and figured it out and obviously it was pretty easy in the end lol.

Sending you a PM tho!