4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Electrical problem

I was replacing my alternator and I forgot to disconnect the battery. When I took the AC compressor off to remove the alternator I accidentally shorted it out against the alternator. I remove the alternator and put on the new alternator and now my air conditioner does not work my power windows dont work my alternator does not work my horn doesn't work. But my car will start as long as my battery is charged my headlights work my tail lights work and my blinkers work. I have checked almost all the fuses I can find and none of them seem to be blown can't figure out what the problem is does anybody have any solutions?
Old 09-25-2017, 12:03 PM
JvG

There are fuses under the hood. The ones by the battery. I see ones of 140 amp, 75 amp.

Those are there to protect all the other circuits.
Check those first.

We all learn from our mistakes. Please disconnect the battery before working on the electrical system.

Especially under the hood, and for sure the alternator ones. They are always live, and considerable amperage.

I always disconnect the NEGATIVE cable from the battery. That way a stray wrench handle cannot ground out against the positive battery post.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima

Thanks I will try that. Last fuse to try is the main. I knew better I was in a hurry 3rd time to replace alternator on different maxima's. Felt so stupid been working on cars for 20 years.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:42 PM
JvG

Live and learn. Ive been wrenching on my own rides since 1971. I still make mistakes from time to time.
Sometimes because I'm dealing with unfamiliar stuff, or because I'm tired, or a bit too much beer.

A mistake like yours is one of the reasons they have the main fuse.

The reason I mentioned removing the negative cable comes from personal experience. I discovered that it's possible to spot weld a wrench handle to the positive battery terminal. I had removed it's cable. That was an interesting experience.......