4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Poured a little oil on alternator what to do

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:34 PM

Poured a little oil on alternator what to do

Bought adriena's 3.5 swapped 99, in the process of changing all fluids and spark plugs to troubleshoot any A/F mix issues he had, starting probably with the 2 kinked vacuum hoses and one that was torn.. anywho

I was filling it back up with oil and instead of looking for my funnel in my newly rearranged garage I poured it straight from the container and it ran down the valve cover and trickled to the alternator, I've previously replaced one before due to being ruined by oil so how do I fix this before I try to start it up? A whole lot of brake fluid cleaner wouldn't hurt anything? Right?
Old 09-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Violator
Bought adriena's 3.5 swapped 99, in the process of changing all fluids and spark plugs to troubleshoot any A/F mix issues he had, starting probably with the 2 kinked vacuum hoses and one that was torn.. anywho

I was filling it back up with oil and instead of looking for my funnel in my newly rearranged garage I poured it straight from the container and it ran down the valve cover and trickled to the alternator, I've previously replaced one before due to being ruined by oil so how do I fix this before I try to start it up? A whole lot of brake fluid cleaner wouldn't hurt anything? Right?
brake fluid spray will kill it. i use an electronic cleaner
Old 09-26-2017, 04:11 AM

I don't think this is really going to cause you any problems other than the appearance and maybe some grime build up over time if left alone.

However, a sudsy mix of blue Dawn and water and an open garden hose will likely do wonders.

Mix it up, dump it on, rinse it off.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:47 AM
98 SE

Water on an electrical component...I don't think it's a good idea. If it doesn't short it out, water on the alternator bearing could ruin it.

Wipe off as much as you can, or spray electronic cleaner. Then let it dry.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:38 AM

^^^ so all that obsessive compulsive engine compartment and engine cleaning I've been doing for the past 18 years might hurt my alternator?
Old 09-26-2017, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Compressed air, lots of it.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
Water on an electrical component...I don't think it's a good idea. If it doesn't short it out, water on the alternator bearing could ruin it.

Wipe off as much as you can, or spray electronic cleaner. Then let it dry.
What do you think happens when you drive in the rain? It is not dry under the hood. Bearing are sealed so that the grease does not leak out and that also keeps water from getting into the bearing.

Electronic cleaner would work, but it is expensive. Soap and water works just fine.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
What do you think happens when you drive in the rain? It is not dry under the hood. Bearing are sealed so that the grease does not leak out and that also keeps water from getting into the bearing.

Electronic cleaner would work, but it is expensive. Soap and water works just fine.
How does oil burn up an alternator then?
Old 09-26-2017, 03:59 PM
98 SE

Oil bad, water good...yeah right.

I respect DennisMik's experience and the opinion's he has shared on this forum, but I can't get my head around intentionally pouring water on an alternator (or any electrical component).

Your choice Violator. What's the worst that can happen?
Old 09-26-2017, 04:15 PM
JvG

A driving rain storm of driving though a deep, long puddle would get the alternator and other stuff quite wet indeed.

A soap solution would be about the same wetness.

People do this kind of thing at the car wash, or on the driveway. Yes, this is a no-no, which happens probably a million times a year in the USA alone.

I read very few posts about our alternators failing after an engine cleaning session. It is possibe, of course.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
A driving rain storm of driving though a deep, long puddle would get the alternator and other stuff quite wet indeed.

A soap solution would be about the same wetness.

People do this kind of thing at the car wash, or on the driveway. Yes, this is a no-no, which happens probably a million times a year in the USA alone.

I read very few posts about our alternators failing after an engine cleaning session. It is possibe, of course.
I've personally replaced 2, when i was 17 my friend sprayed pb blaster on when he was trying to spray my belt, stupid. then last fall I replaced one bc of a valve cover oil leak. I feel a little jealous ppl seem to get away with spraying them meanwhile I've gone through 2
Old 09-26-2017, 04:32 PM
JvG

To wash and spray, or not wash and spray are your immediate choices. A rain storm will make the decision for you.

Best wishes to you for either one you choose.
There are risks either way.

Bottom line..... your call.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:34 PM

W D 4 0

There’s your answer. If don’t believe, YouTube how to clean engine with WD40!!!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:03 AM

Dawn, a 5 gallon bucket, a garden hose and a leaf blower ... 18 + years and here's what you get. Or should I say, here's what you "keep".

But feel free to ignore me, I know nothing.

Wanna see my undercarriage?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:27 AM
98 SE

Ding, ding, ding...it looks like we have a winner!

You obviously know what you are doing when in comes to cleaning an engine compartment, nobody said you didn't know anything, but the original post had to do with cleaning an alternator. Not everyone may have your skill or experience. Using the leaf blower to remove any "left over" water helps reduce the risk of a short with the alternator...but that's also not what you originally posted (you said mix it up, dump it on, and rinse it off...concerning the oiled alternator).

Look, there may be no one right answer. A lot of inexperienced kids get on here looking for advice. No one wants to give bad advice. I just thought it was important to point out that electricity and water don't mix too well. It's his decision. He's already replaced two alternators, I certainly wouldn't look forward to doing another because of an oil spill and an intentional alternator hosing.

Ooh, and one other thing, the reason we have plastic under engine cowling is to keep water and other debris from coming up and onto the engine and associated components. It may not eliminate all water and debris, but it's not like it's getting hosed like the underside of your car.

I think JvG said it best. It truly is his call. I'm glad he's getting different opinions.