4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96 Maxima still stalling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:00 PM

96 Maxima still stalling.

I'm still having stalling issues. Car will drive ok for a few blocks then die completely with all the dash lights coming on. No codes. Can mostly start right back up but it dies sometimes immediately or drives a few blocks again. I had previously changed the maf (Cardone) after a P100 code and changed the TPS after it still kept cutting off. Cleaned the TB also. Could I have a bad remufactured maf from Rockauto? Any other ideas would be appreciated. I know someone had told me to get a new Bosch or Beck Arnley maf.

Last edited by slowmanvns; 09-27-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:23 PM
JvG

So, if I understand your situation correctly, the car runs ok when it's stone cold. But it dies once it gets warm?

The engine temperature sensor can cause this problem. A defective one sends incorrect information to the ecu.

Other members have had similar issues to yours.

The sensor is not that expensive. No need to drain coolant when it is replaced. Have the new one ready to install so that you can remove the old sensor, and stuff the new one in there.

It is possible to look up the ohms specified when cold, and also when warm. Like when it is cold, and when the engine dies. The ohms reading then will be different from what it should be.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:03 PM

Thanks for your reply. I remember doing this about 5 yrs ago when I had similar problems and ended up replacing the maf bought on eBay from an Infinity I30. I'll have to try replacing the temp sensor again I guess.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
So, if I understand your situation correctly, the car runs ok when it's stone cold. But it dies once it gets warm?

The engine temperature sensor can cause this problem. A defective one sends incorrect information to the ecu.

Other members have had similar issues to yours.

The sensor is not that expensive. No need to drain coolant when it is replaced. Have the new one ready to install so that you can remove the old sensor, and stuff the new one in there.

It is possible to look up the ohms specified when cold, and also when warm. Like when it is cold, and when the engine dies. The ohms reading then will be different from what it should be.
So I installed a new engine temperature sensor (Beck/Arnley) and my car still stalls out when it gets warmed up in 10 -15 mins. I'm planning to install my original maf which I think I still have (from 2012) to see if it stalls differently. This way I might find out if the one I just bought (Cardone) is crappy.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:24 PM
JvG

Let's try something else.

Loosen the gas cap. So that it leaks air.
Now drive the car as you normally would.

I'm thinking that part of the emmissions system is not working properly. This would result in excess vaccuum in the gas tank, followed by stalling.

Another experement is to tighten the gas cap as you normally would. Drive the car till it stalls. Then open the gas cap. A Woosh noise would also indicate a vaccuum condition.

Be aware that driving with a partly loose gas cap will set a cel.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:36 PM
JvG

What I'm thinking about is back in the old days, before emmissions, gas caps had vent holes to let air in to the gas tank as gasoline was pumped out.
If that hole was blocked, a the vaccuum in the tank overcame the suction from the fuel pump. The engine would run fine at first, then stall. Loosening the gas cap would create the whoosh noise, which was air entering the gas tank. Similar to opening a fresh can of vaccuum packed coffee.

Your problem could be caused by a bad soliniod valve somewhere in the system. Its job is to allow air into the gas tank. Other members will know exactly which one.

For now, see what the car runs like with a loose gas cap.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
What I'm thinking about is back in the old days, before emmissions, gas caps had vent holes to let air in to the gas tank as gasoline was pumped out.
If that hole was blocked, a the vaccuum in the tank overcame the suction from the fuel pump. The engine would run fine at first, then stall. Loosening the gas cap would create the whoosh noise, which was air entering the gas tank. Similar to opening a fresh can of vaccuum packed coffee.

Your problem could be caused by a bad soliniod valve somewhere in the system. Its job is to allow air into the gas tank. Other members will know exactly which one.

For now, see what the car runs like with a loose gas cap.
Do I actually have to be driving? The car stalls if I leave it running for about 10 mins if I start it when cold. Once it's warmed up after those 10 mins it stalls almost immediately when started. I've already taken out the Cardone maf and put in a different maf.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:51 PM
JvG

Just duplicate or similate the conditions in which stalling usually occurs.

All we are trying to do is introduce a variable. Like a loose or missing gas cap. So that air can enter the gas tank to reduce any vaccum problems.

If the car does not stall under that condition, we can assume problems in the emmissions system.

If the car does stall like it usually does, look elsewhere.

Another thought...... do you experience lack of power when accelerating, like on a freeway on ramp?

If so, how long since the fuel filter was changed?

Last edited by JvG; 09-30-2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Additional comment added.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Just duplicate or similate the conditions in which stalling usually occurs.

All we are trying to do is introduce a variable. Like a loose or missing gas cap. So that air can enter the gas tank to reduce any vaccum problems.

If the car does not stall under that condition, we can assume problems in the emmissions system.

If the car does stall like it usually does, look elsewhere.

Another thought...... do you experience lack of power when accelerating, like on a freeway on ramp?

If so, how long since the fuel filter was changed?
Actually, I gave the car to my nephew 2 yrs ago but I've been the one maintaining it since he's not that into cars lol. He said that power feels fine until the stall begins to happen. The fuel filter was changed maybe 10 yrs ago.
Quick note, I just saw that there was a rubber ring (kind of an o-ring) lining the mesh area on the front of the old maf that was missing on the Cardone maf, could this have caused a vacuum leak and stall the car?

Last edited by slowmanvns; 09-30-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:38 PM
JvG

Any variable could affect performance. Especially if any problems happen soon after some thing is different, or changes. If problems persisted after replacing the maf, the missing o ring could cause the problem you are having.

So the fuel filter was changed 10 years ago. What is more important is how many miles ago that was. It could be partially blocked after 100k miles.

So you are maintaining a car for your nephew, who is not into cars. This reminds me so much of my son, who is not into cars either. My parents did not own a car, so they knew nothing about them.
I'm 63 years old. I bought my first car in 1971, when I was 17. I tought my 50 year old mother how to drive. That changed her world, and my own. Over the years, I have learned a great deal about cars. I can repair just about anything. Which brings up the subject of my son, aged 32, or your nephew. My son has been driving since he was 15. I tought him.
I expected that he would want to learn, from me, how to maintain them, for cheap. No interest, ever.
Recently he told me that he decided a long time ago, that he has no interest in learning car repairs.
So now his 94 Nissan pickup I gave him sits, because there is something wrong with it. At 270k miles, no wonder. You might consider having your nephew take his car to a mechanic, and pay the bill, buy a different car, or ride public transportation, or walk, like my son does. Perhaps then, eventually, after walking or waiting for the bus or Uber long enough, in the rain and snow, he might realize that his uncle might, perhaps, know what he is talking about.

Last edited by JvG; 09-30-2017 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Additional comment added.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:13 AM

I shouldn't say that my nephew is not into cars, just not a 21 yr old car, lol. He's actually my right hand man since I've been wheelchair bound since 2005 and he's the one that does the actual work. I supervise, lol. He's changed struts (quick), brakes, mafs, TPS, starters to name a few things. He's ok with helping to fix the problems. Now back to the problem.
The fuel filter maybe has 25-35k in that 10 yr span. The car has a total of just 88k. I'll have to let him try the gas cap check.