4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

found a 99 se emerald green, new paint, no rust, 155,000

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 06:03 AM

found a 99 se emerald green, new paint, no rust, 155,000

drivers seat is chewed up, tires are not great, there's a pole in the steering wheel for some reason, and the owner said it has a c/e light on. he's asking 1,975.00 for it and if the rad support isn't rusted through and there isn't fluids everywhere i might buy it. he also said that the exhaust is good, tan leather interior, moon roof, fogs, spoiler, and he also said that his son put new bose speakers in it, i mean new from the dealer, not used j/y crap. i'm checking it out at noon today, also has a new battery. which means it probably sat for awhile, wish me luck, maxy numero dos. of course i have a long way to go before i catch up to craig or the wiz
Old 09-30-2017, 08:02 AM

Good luck. You've on the org long enough to know what to look for.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:16 PM

Go in eyes WIDE open!

New paint could mean recent collision!

I'd pay $1K more to have a SE in all original, well maintained shape any day.

It's usually quite evident when a car is well taken care of its whole life and many times even a lot of money can't buy that back when it's not.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2017, 09:26 PM

well, who ever said if it's too good to be true, it usually is? only thing good about the car was the body had fresh paint and no rust. guy asked me if i wanted to make him any type of offer after hearing it run and seeing the lack of maintenance and i said no thanks. hell, the heater core was shot, dash was tore apart, stereo didn't work, at all. damn, fluids were all shot, burnt, and low. and, i pulled out the handy dandy amazon scanner and pulled 6 codes, 2 of them were the same for some weird reason, i felt bad for the guy cause his son died earlier in the year, but i knew it was going to be a money pit. you couldn't give it gas, it was stalling, bucking like crazy, my thoughts were maf, coils, and the snorkel coming from the front was all detached as well. when i got to run, it was quiet, told him if he got his mechanic to look it over and get it to run w/o stalling, i was still interested. i mean, it'll need a lot of tlc, but once you throw some love into it, i think it'll be a decent max, really.

Last edited by max ride 41; 09-30-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:26 PM

Sounds like a project car for someone that: A) has lots of money they don't want and B) doesn't need it for transportation.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:51 AM
Rit

Where are you located ? I have a '98 Maxima with 115K miles with no rust, and in fantastic condition. I live in Schenectady NY, but get down to Wayne PA on occasion, and also Northern Jersey.

It is Artic White Pearl, with black leather, a Sunroof, and 5 speed. Any interest and we can discuss price.

Richard.Szczepanski@yahoo.com
Old 10-01-2017, 12:32 PM

^^^^^^^^^^Now that's what I'm talkin' bout!
Old 10-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by max ride 41
well, who ever said if it's too good to be true, it usually is? only thing good about the car was the body had fresh paint and no rust. guy asked me if i wanted to make him any type of offer after hearing it run and seeing the lack of maintenance and i said no thanks. hell, the heater core was shot, dash was tore apart, stereo didn't work, at all. damn, fluids were all shot, burnt, and low. and, i pulled out the handy dandy amazon scanner and pulled 6 codes, 2 of them were the same for some weird reason, i felt bad for the guy cause his son died earlier in the year, but i knew it was going to be a money pit. you couldn't give it gas, it was stalling, bucking like crazy, my thoughts were maf, coils, and the snorkel coming from the front was all detached as well. when i got to run, it was quiet, told him if he got his mechanic to look it over and get it to run w/o stalling, i was still interested. i mean, it'll need a lot of tlc, but once you throw some love into it, i think it'll be a decent max, really.
And this is what you found in your limited time inspecting the car. The truth is, the car will have even more problems once you really get into it. As is, that car is a parts car and is only worth $350 maximum.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:06 PM

He should go bury that car with his son, lol.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:19 AM

Based on a few past experiences, I think any used 4th gen at this point time will require a mid-life refresh to be reliable for heavy use daily driving or long trips. The cost for a refresh will range anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500 in parts. This is unless the previous owner recently finished a refresh before selling. New tires and wheels are extra.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:57 AM

I still have that "new" trans if you want to stick it in your max. I have a trailer. I can deliver as well as install.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM

BTW ... I actually did go look at that red '99 we PM'd about earlier this month. It wasn't too far away from my office.

Sorry for not getting back to you but IMO you wouldn't have wanted that one either.

The body is nice, straight and solid. The clear coat is completely shot and the tires are quite worn.

The driver's seat is horrible (even worse than mine) ... hence the seat covers ... and the interior was overall pretty neglected. After seeing the driver's seat I didn't feel like I need to look at the seating surfaces any further.

However, the thing(s) that really got me most was the apparent lack of maintenance. I, personally take issues when I pull oil and trans fluid dipsticks and see significant staining on the dipsticks and buildup in the oil dipstick orifice and in the trans fluid tube.

After seeing those, I was done. I didn't need to see anymore ... didn't need to hear it run.

According to the seller the car was bought and spent all of it's life in FL, but when I got back to the office I did a quick VIN check and found that it was initially sold and titled in SC.

Me no likie to be lied to ...

Last edited by Turbobink; 11-29-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
You have obviously forgotten the 1st rule of used car sales - there is no such thing as a lie.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You have obviously forgotten the 1st rule of used car sales - there is no such thing as a lie.
Ohhh they are just living somewhere in the alternate reality.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
BTW ... I actually did go look at that red '99 we PM'd about earlier this month. It wasn't too far away from my office.

Sorry for not getting back to you but IMO you wouldn't have wanted that one either.

The body is nice, straight and solid. The clear coat is completely shot and the tires are quite worn.

The driver's seat is horrible (even worse than mine) ... hence the seat covers ... and the interior was overall pretty neglected. After seeing the driver's seat I didn't feel like I need to look at the seating surfaces any further.

However, the thing(s) that really got me most was the apparent lack of maintenance. I, personally take issues when I pull oil and trans fluid dipsticks and see significant staining on the dipsticks and buildup in the oil dipstick orifice and in the trans fluid tube.

After seeing those, I was done. I didn't need to see anymore ... didn't need to hear it run.

According to the seller the car was bought and spent all of it's life in FL, but when I got back to the office I did a quick VIN check and found that it was initially sold and titled in SC.

yeah, he kept lowering the price and i saw the master cylinder fluid was black and low and i figured the seat covers were hiding something. thanks for taking a look tho man, ORG.respect