4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I just did something crazy this week: But I kept the Max...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:19 AM

I just did something crazy this week: But I kept the Max...

So over the weekend, a conversation about cars lead to me browsing the local classified just for fun. I ended up finding the best deal I've seen so far on an 98 Infiniti q45 base under 200,000 miles...similiar to car in my sig pic.

After 1 test drive and 2 visits, I decided to go ahead with it. I just couldn't pass it up. I won't say the exact price, but it was very good for the condition of the body...the car is pretty much immaculate, just needs some TLC after it seemed to have went from old lady to college student over the years.

Now...I did keep the Max because it's still my reliable driver and don't wish to sell (but has over 350,000) The q45 has its issues...and I was scared (and still scared lol) as to what I may need to fix because the steering on it is CRAP lol. Best case scenario an alignment and PS pump, worst case scenario rack/pinion/steering gear. Also has no A/C. However, I was told the Max would need a rack and pinion too.

But the ride quality and overall sturdiness is a huge upgrade. I love my Max, but Ive fixed (and still need to fix) most everything you can name on it, and I just wanted something different. The GXE just doesn't have the loadedness I like, and the low ride/seat limitation is killing my back.

One thing for sure, it reminds me of when I first bought the max few years ago. The "new" car feel just changes my whole state of mind lol.

Last edited by 97_GXE; 10-04-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:28 AM

Congratulations. The 98 model Y33-Cima is one of the best.

Over the years I've seen some cases where the PS pump needs to be replaced. Years ago I replaced the PS pump on my 91 Q and 99 Max with a Cardone reman without issue.

The forum in the link below is the resource for a Q45 owner.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/q45-forum...e8a62500f5d9c4

Be sure you have a 2nd key. I believe all 2nd generation Q45s came with NATS. Use the replacement key on a daily basis and keep the originals in the event you need another replacement someday.

Last edited by CS_AR; 10-04-2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 AM

Thankyou for posting that! I was wondering what the top part of the console was for. A friggin phone. No wonder it was so pricey back then lol.

Now that one is a little different, model year newer and the T version...but there's one even more loaded than that, the T with the wood grain steering wheel. I think I have regular headlights, idk if it would be worth having the HID headlights, considering I'm always replacing burnt out bulbs.

I do have 1 regular and 1 electronic key. I did ask about that. I'll have to read up more about it.

I think it's funny how the Max and it are so similar in ways. Nowadays I can't tell which Infiniti is which they have so many out now. Was also considering the i30, but it's hard to find those in good condition sometimes. Plus, not too crazy about their exterior. I almost traded the Max awhile back for a j30...but those are small are kind of rare to come across much.

That V8 engine is scary in many ways lol. BUT...It's a front-forward engine and seen some things like the EGR valve within easy reach.

The guy had a hard time selling it, because people got scared off of the PS pump clunking about. He was literally GIVING it away. People ask, "does it have mechanical problems". People don't understand all cars get mechanical problems. You can buy a 2015 off the lot, and still have to fix something down the line.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:19 AM
JvG

Congratulations.

Your Maxima does have a lot of miles on it.

The q45 seems like nice upgrade.

Enjoy!!!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:09 AM

Nice. Congrats on the car. I've always liked those.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:35 PM

You'll want to save this link for Infiniti parts. I can usually buy Infiniti OEM parts at or less than Nissan.

https://www.orderinfinitiparts.com/
Old 10-09-2017, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
You'll want to save this link for Infiniti parts. I can usually buy Infiniti OEM parts at or less than Nissan.

https://www.orderinfinitiparts.com/
Thanks, trying to get the run down on where I should get parts from. It'll be hard getting some parts I need by mail as I'm out of town with it and need to kinda get them quickly.

But I've already started swapping stuff out. Wipers, air filter, steering wheel cover. Seems the prior owners just didn't know **** about this car other than it being "reliable", and my further inspection in the daytime shows some neglect at 182,000 miles...and GREEN coolant. Gack. Changing that very soon. Disappointed, but nothing that can't be fixed. After all, the price I paid is for cars that are wrecked or for parts only. But everything works, body has only minor wear and tear and is original down to the tarnished alloy wheels.

However, if it's anything like the trusty Max, it too was a kinda big ugly car but in good shape, original hubcaps, a little neglect here and there, but I immediately filled it up with premium, injector cleaner, TB cleaning and put it on a long drive. Instantly cured issues with starting/transmission shifting.

But yeah, the power steering pump is so shot that I'm not going to drive it anywhere until it gets fixed. **** ****ing almost acts like it's not going to steer the car anymore.

Last edited by 97_GXE; 10-09-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
Congratulations.

Your Maxima does have a lot of miles on it.

The q45 seems like nice upgrade.

Enjoy!!!
Thanks, like I say I wasn't looking for it...but sometimes when an oppurtunity is there just gotta take it first, worry later lol. I was actually going to get a 96 J30 a few months after I bought my Max...but my mom talked me out of it. That's why this time, I didn't tell anyone except a friend who lives in the area. And even then...he shared some concerns which I had to ignore lol.

I think the main reason I went ahead and did it, is because I hated having to stop in the middle of working on my car to go grab a tool/part. Or sometimes I couldn't finish a project for 1-2 days and I'm on call for work and sometimes need to leave quickly. And where my parents garage is, it's 7 miles to the nearest auto parts store.

So it was more of a necessity than a luxury, but I wasn't gonna get a 4 cylinder!

Last edited by 97_GXE; 10-09-2017 at 12:42 AM.