4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 03:09 PM

97 dead

So changed it all but coils, cam both crank sensors condenser and a computer and still no fire got fuel but no spark please help.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Spark plugs? Is it turning over but not firing up? Did you actually test the fuel pressure? FPR on the fuel rail? Any codes? If it's none of those then I'd say it has to be injectors
Old 10-05-2017, 08:32 PM

Check the wire continuity from the flywheel crank sensor to the ECU. The camshaft sensor could be the problem, too.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:05 AM

I did all that to everything checks out I can have someone try to start it and I can grab the coil and no spark nothing.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Violator
Spark plugs? Is it turning over but not firing up? Did you actually test the fuel pressure? FPR on the fuel rail? Any codes? If it's none of those then I'd say it has to be injectors
yes it turning over has fuel but no spark did continuity test even changed the ecu still no start I'm thinking all coils died the car has almost 400,000 miles on it with original coils
Old 10-06-2017, 09:08 AM

It would be strange that all 6 coils would die at the same time, but who knows. Before buying all new coils, visit a pick & pull junk yard and get a couple to try.

Several things to try is connecting the voltmeter to the trigger wire of a coil or 2 and crank the engine. Try both dc volts and ac volts. You should see the meter display "jump" if there is a pulse. It will not be an accurate reading but it indicates the ECU is sending the pulse.

You could also check the resistance of the coil(s).
Old 10-06-2017, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Charles Randy Phillips
So changed it all but coils ...
What exactly does this mean?

What is it that you've changed except for the coils?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:58 AM
JvG

It's difficult to understand what you are writing about. Grammer issues.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:12 PM

I hate when newbies don't bother to add their location and start threads with just about zero details.

The devil is in the details and many what most would think are subtle nuances also have an effect.

Does your car have any alarm system?

So a little discussed corrosion thing happens to 4th Gens that also keeps it from starting. If you have Winter and Salt, or are close to salt water you are a little more likely to experience this.

Somewhere between the engine block and transmission, corrosion builds up and makes a sensor required for ignition, not read. Maybe a crank sensor. But the sure fire way to fix it IF it is the problem, is pulling the transmission and wire brushing the area clean. apply oil or a thin clear coat that bonds to metal well to keep it from happening again. But THIN so it doesn't interfere with the sensor reading again.

There's a lot of good and helpful 4th gen owners volunteering here. And some are amazing. But I bet none can read minds.

Help us to help you!
Old 10-06-2017, 07:51 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by KP11520
I hate when newbies don't bother to add their location and start threads with just about zero details.

The devil is in the details and many what most would think are subtle nuances also have an effect.

Does your car have any alarm system?

So a little discussed corrosion thing happens to 4th Gens that also keeps it from starting. If you have Winter and Salt, or are close to salt water you are a little more likely to experience this.

Somewhere between the engine block and transmission, corrosion builds up and makes a sensor required for ignition, not read. Maybe a crank sensor. But the sure fire way to fix it IF it is the problem, is pulling the transmission and wire brushing the area clean. apply oil or a thin clear coat that bonds to metal well to keep it from happening again. But THIN so it doesn't interfere with the sensor reading again.

There's a lot of good and helpful 4th gen owners volunteering here. And some are amazing. But I bet none can read minds.

Help us to help you!
Lol !!!!

Original poster, don't do that!!!!

One of our members had a badly corroded negative battery cable . I mean the portion that bolted on to the engine. Once they replaced that, the car started and ran much better.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:16 PM
JvG

Attention Original Poster

I want you to read your first post.

Imagine that the people reading it mostly do know how to fix cars.

How are we supposed to understand what you are discribing?

You could have said that you have a (which year) maxima ( automatic or 5 speed with clutch)
I live at (location)

I'm having problems . There is no spark.. (how did you go about deciding that?)

I replaced both crank sensors (all but coils) , (What does that mean?) and the computer. (computer from which year car, auto or manual . ( There are several different ones. ) the wrong one won't play nice.

We need to know WHY you did those things. Did your buddy tell you to?

Are there any red lights on the dashboard?
Which ones?

Do you by chance own a 1999 Maxima?

The reason for a this picky informaton details is that enough of the right information can often make it possible for one or more of us to identify the problem. Often the same issue has happened to us.

Location matters. Salt leads to corrosion and
electrical issues.

Cars have different issues in cold or hot climates.

It is helpful to know where your car lived before you bought it. A car from a snowy area which now lives in Phoenix can have corrosion issues

The 1999 Maxima is infamous for alarm related issues. Because the alarm disables the spark.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:25 PM

Sorry JvG, sometimes I can't help myself! LOL

The thread title says 97 dead so I'm going to just assume it's a 97 cause that's all I got.

Some aftermarket alarm systems disable the spark, similarly to our famous 99 NATS. LOL

If that corrosion is there all the new sensors in the world won't help so I'm with you totally on needing A LOT more info! Following a logic ladder is how it gets done with minimal waste and costly parts change.

You know we're on the same page! Glad to be here!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:17 PM
JvG

KP,, yes, I missed one of the scarce hints we are offered. A 97. Duh. (Lol)

Thanks for pointing out what after market alarm can do to ignition systems. Like protecting the car from its owner just as effectively as from the car. thief.

I like some humor on this forum.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
It's difficult to understand what you are writing about. Grammer issues.
I've changed both crank sensors and cam sensor the condenser and the computer and still no spark
Old 10-07-2017, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
What exactly does this mean?

What is it that you've changed except for the coils?
I've changed the both crank and cam sensor the condenser and computer but I have not changed the coils the car has almost 400,000 miles on it
Old 10-07-2017, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
It would be strange that all 6 coils would die at the same time, but who knows. Before buying all new coils, visit a pick & pull junk yard and get a couple to try.

Several things to try is connecting the voltmeter to the trigger wire of a coil or 2 and crank the engine. Try both dc volts and ac volts. You should see the meter display "jump" if there is a pulse. It will not be an accurate reading but it indicates the ECU is sending the pulse.

You could also check the resistance of the coil(s).
I do get a pulse I believe I'll try it again today and see and get back to you
Old 10-07-2017, 05:25 AM

Sorry JvG, sometimes I can't help myself! LOL

The thread title says 97 dead so I'm going to just assume it's a 97 cause that's all I got.

Some aftermarket alarm systems disable the spark, similarly to our famous 99 NATS. LOL

If that corrosion is there all the new sensors in the world won't help so I'm with you totally on needing A LOT more info! Following a logic ladder is how it gets done with minimal waste and costly parts change.

You know we're on the same page! Glad to be here!
my 97 maxima died I've changed all crank sensors and cam sensor the condenser and computer but still no spark the only thing I didn't change is the coils
Old 10-07-2017, 05:26 AM

my 97 maxima died I've changed all crank sensors and cam sensor the condenser and computer but still no spark the only thing I didn't change is the coils
also no aftermarket alarm still factory alarm and when trying to start it the alarm light goes out.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
Attention Original Poster

I want you to read your first post.

Imagine that the people reading it mostly do know how to fix cars.

How are we supposed to understand what you are discribing?

You could have said that you have a (which year) maxima ( automatic or 5 speed with clutch)
I live at (location)

I'm having problems . There is no spark.. (how did you go about deciding that?)

I replaced both crank sensors (all but coils) , (What does that mean?) and the computer. (computer from which year car, auto or manual . ( There are several different ones. ) the wrong one won't play nice.

We need to know WHY you did those things. Did your buddy tell you to?

Are there any red lights on the dashboard?
Which ones?

Do you by chance own a 1999 Maxima?

The reason for a this picky informaton details is that enough of the right information can often make it possible for one or more of us to identify the problem. Often the same issue has happened to us.

Location matters. Salt leads to corrosion and
electrical issues.

Cars have different issues in cold or hot climates.

It is helpful to know where your car lived before you bought it. A car from a snowy area which now lives in Phoenix can have corrosion issues

The 1999 Maxima is infamous for alarm related issues. Because the alarm disables the spark.
97 maxima 5 speed I've changed what the book said the manual said it could be i even changed the computer with the same numbers on it and still no spark could the coils be bad the car has almost 400,000 miles on it also it tries to start sounds like maybe two coils are trying to fire
Old 10-07-2017, 05:37 AM

97 maxima 5 speed I've changed what the book said the manual said it could be i even changed the computer with the same numbers on it and still no spark could the coils be bad the car has almost 400,000 miles on it also it tries to start sounds like maybe two coils are trying to fire
I live in Tennessee
Old 10-07-2017, 09:19 AM
JvG

Coils can last a very long time. You could find others at a junkyard. Most would still be good.

We are trying to help you do the least amount of work at the lowest cost.

This is why the more information we have, the better we can help.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:18 PM

also no aftermarket alarm still factory alarm and when trying to start it the alarm light goes out.
yes light goes out and the only code there was is cam sensor and tht is new
Old 10-07-2017, 01:26 PM
JvG

The code can still exist with a new sensor if the wiring terminals are corroded, or other wiring issues exist.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:41 PM

Some aftermarket alarm systems disable the spark, similarly to our famous 99 NATS.
Nissan NATS does not disable the spark, it shuts off the fuel injectors. The spark is still there.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:07 AM

Nissan NATS does not disable the spark, it shuts off the fuel injectors. The spark is still there.
got fuel but no spark I'm confused
Old 10-09-2017, 07:58 AM

Coil test

Did the continuity test on my coils there is a reading of ohms but no beeb like the manual says
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 PM

Thank you Dennis for setting me straight on that. I guess I was a little confused with that, most likely read the wrong in a forum and was blindly following the leader. OUCH!

I can hear it in my head now.....Boy..... Yer just like yer Mama....... Stoooopid!

Last edited by KP11520; 10-09-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:02 PM
JvG

Did the continuity test on my coils there is a reading of ohms but no beeb like the manual says
What is a beeb?