4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Coils not firing

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 06:38 PM

Coils not firing

Coils 1 3 and 5 fire but 2 4 and 6 don't this is a 97 maxima 5speed please help
Old 10-26-2017, 01:08 AM

Get some new HITACHI coils, they run about $293 for all 6. My coils went bad last year in June, decided to replace all of them at once.. no problems after more than a year. I highly advice you to replace all 6, since if one is going out.. soon enough the next one will go and you will have to re-do the labor all over again.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:15 AM

Check to see if you have 12 volts on the red wire on each of those coils. Also check that the black wire has continuity to ground. Maybe you have a problem in the wire harness connector that feeds those 3 coils.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Check to see if you have 12 volts on the red wire on each of those coils. Also check that the black wire has continuity to ground. Maybe you have a problem in the wire harness connector that feeds those 3 coils.
I did they do have continuity and 12 volts plus if I plug them into the back coils 1 3 and 5 they will fire but they just don't when plugged into the front side
Old 10-26-2017, 10:47 AM
JvG

+1 On what Dennis said. Most likely a grounding issue. There are some ground wires attached to the front head, next to the uim. Remove the screw, clean the contactswith fine sand paper.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Administrator

You do realize that the front and rear coilpacks are different?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
You do realize that the front and rear coilpacks are different?
yes I do I just stuck them on the rear side to see if they would spark but they did they just don't spark on the front side wonder what it could be i checked continuity it's good also they get 12v I also swap the computer with another one with matching numbers it does the same thing PLZ HELP.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:16 PM
JvG

Have you checked and cleaned the ground wires I mentioned yet? You might have 12v in the supply wire, but without a good groud, the coils won't fire.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
new battery and new starter but when I try to start it it drags slow until I hook up my battery bank tht goes to my system and it turns over like it should does tht sound like a ground issue. I'm going to clean and add more grounds cause the new deep cycle battery should spin the motor over just fine
Old 11-15-2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
Have you checked and cleaned the ground wires I mentioned yet? You might have 12v in the supply wire, but without a good groud, the coils won't fire.
going to today cause with new starter and new deep cycle battery it should turn over fine but it turns over like a dead battery hope it's a ground issue. Is there anything else to try if tht ain't it.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:45 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Charles Randy Phillips
going to today cause with new starter and new deep cycle battery it should turn over fine but it turns over like a dead battery hope it's a ground issue. Is there anything else to try if tht ain't it.
I ran into this same issue when I was helping another member. They had a corroded negative wire from the battery cable to the frame. It would not allow enough amps to pass to allow the starter to get all the power it needs. They replaced that cable with a better one from the junk yard. Worked fine afterwards.

Electrical power travels from the battery, through an electrical device, then back to the battery. It seems that most members only want to replace expensive parts and batteries, while taking the main ground wire for granted.

I also feel that cleaning the grounds for the injectors will help fix that issue
​​​​​
​​​​​