4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmisson issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 06:35 AM

Transmisson issues

My 4at in my 95 max has been having some trouble.

To start, it busted a line while I was driving it and I didn't notice until there was a cloud of smoke behind my car from liquids on the exhaust. I shut it off ASAP but I definitely lost a couple of quarts of trans fluid. I got some fluid and re-filled it and got it back to the house, but it developed a "slip".

Now it will pull for about 1000 ft and then it basically goes into neutral and will not pull. If I rev it then it will go back "into gear" for a short spell but then it goes right back to "neutral".

So tell me this, is it shot? Would hooking up the lines backwards to the cooler or something cause issues like this? I don't think I did because I was very thorough with labeling everything, however I guess it's possible. I'm also wondering if it may be related to the tq converter. Both that and the trans have around 80k miles on them and came out of a wrecked car. Just looking for some insight.

TL;DR - Trans blew a line and now it slips all over the d*** place.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by CallMeThatOneGuy; 10-27-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:56 AM
JvG

I don't have an auto maxima.

I have driven other makes of cars with automatics in the past. They act thst way when they are low on fluid. You might have re- filled the fluid once, but generally you might have to add more fluid another time or two.

Because the fluid you added the first time was pumped into empty places inside the transmission.

So add more fluid, and don't drive with a slipping transmission.

Your transmission should be just fine.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
You might have re- filled the fluid once, but generally you might have to add more fluid another time or two.
Thanks for the response. I've added fluid a few times and even replaced the fluid, however I will give it another go this weekend.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:16 PM
JvG

Keep adding fluid from time to time till the dip
stick indicates it's full as the car idles.

I hope that fixes your problem.

Please let us know what the outcome is.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:50 AM

hate to be bearer of bad news, but you probably damaged the solenoids inside the trans running it low like that. while the car is hot and in idle, check the stick and make sure it's in between the cross hairs, but it should read on the hot line once warmed up. only use nissan matic-d fluid, it's made for our cars and won't cause further issues with the transmission. drain the front few quarts and then run it for 2 weeks and re-fill, that way you slowly mix the old and new fluid allowing for a smooth transition. good luck

Last edited by max ride 41; 10-29-2017 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:53 PM
JvG

MaxRide, I'm curious about the soliniods.

I'm trying to understand how low fluid would hurt the solinoids.

Nor doubting what you said, just trying to learn and understand
Old 10-29-2017, 02:41 AM

The automatic transmission relies on bands and clutches to change gears, and the only way they can be applied is by fluid pressure. The transmission solenoid is responsible for opening or closing valves in the valve body to allow transmission fluid to enter, at which point the fluid can do its thing and pressurize the clutches and bands. Solenoids consist of a spring loaded plunger wrapped with a coil of wire, and communicates with the car’s engine sensors or the transmission control module (TCM) via electronic signals to either open or close. so, it is vital to transmission that you keep the fluid at the proper level, and change old fluid to keep the transmission shifting smoothly. otherwise you will lose pressure, causing one or more solenoids to fail.

Last edited by max ride 41; 10-29-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
I don't have an auto maxima.

I have driven other makes of cars with automatics in the past. They act thst way when they are low on fluid. You might have re- filled the fluid once, but generally you might have to add more fluid another time or two.

Because the fluid you added the first time was pumped into empty places inside the transmission.

So add more fluid, and don't drive with a slipping transmission.

Your transmission should be just fine.

Last April one of the trans cooling hose mounting ports rusted away on my OEM radiator. When I found the leak it was 3 quarts below average level. It was a very slow leak dropping onto the engine splash shield so I don't know how long it leaked fluid.

I immediately replaced the RAD with a new one from Advance Auto. I had no thought on trying to fix an old RAD. It's not only quick and easy to replace but the new highly rated lifetime warrantied RAD cost a mere $80.

Driving on low fluid for who knows how long did not damage the AT. The clutches and solenoids are operating smooth.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
The automatic transmission relies on bands and clutches to change gears, and the only way they can be applied is by fluid pressure. The transmission solenoid is responsible for opening or closing valves in the valve body to allow transmission fluid to enter, at which point the fluid can do its thing and pressurize the clutches and bands. Solenoids consist of a spring loaded plunger wrapped with a coil of wire, and communicates with the car’s engine sensors or the transmission control module (TCM) via electronic signals to either open or close. so, it is vital to transmission that you keep the fluid at the proper level, and change old fluid to keep the transmission shifting smoothly. otherwise you will lose pressure, causing one or more solenoids to fail.
Nice copy Maxride

http://transmissionrepairguy.com/transmission-solenoid/
Old 10-29-2017, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
call me crazy, at least i'm not giving mis-information. and, i knew what solenoids did, i just wasn't sure how to word it so i looked it up on the old interwebz. o, and bite me!!!
Old 10-29-2017, 12:10 PM
JvG

So basicly the soliniods do the same work that spings, valves, and check ***** do in purely mechanical transmissions back in the old days, the ones I AM familiar with.

Lack of fluid meant lesser or no fluid line pressure.
At first, less line pressureand slippage, followed by no power through the transmission. Until new fluid brought the pressure back up.

I can't see how the soliniod would be damaged. It would still have residual oil in it.

I still feel that the trans will be ok.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
So basicly the soliniods do the same work that spings, valves, and check ***** do in purely mechanical transmissions back in the old days, the ones I AM familiar with.

Lack of fluid meant lesser or no fluid line pressure.
At first, less line pressureand slippage, followed by no power through the transmission. Until new fluid brought the pressure back up.

I can't see how the soliniod would be damaged. It would still have residual oil in it.

I still feel that the trans will be ok.
more than likely your right, if he did any damage it would've been to the clutch plates. low fluid could have caused no pressure resulting in slippage.

Last edited by max ride 41; 10-29-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:13 AM

I was worried about the valve body and shift solenoids because I've been in multiple maximas with bad or faulty valve bodies and this seems similar, however my shifts are so smooth that I almost feel like I can rule that out. I have to wonder if maybe the tq converter is the cause of my problems, but I'll just have to continue my trial and error. As of right now I can barely get it up my street and back to get the fluid pumping through it.

I was going to run some tests over the weekend but I ended up working on a less frustrating project.