4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

at what point do our maximas fade away?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:23 AM

^^^ Now that's a mid-life refresh!
Old 11-05-2017, 10:56 AM
JvG

Agreed on the mid life refresh concept.

Many of us buy cars which are older and need work. So there can be a lot of catching up to do.
We also need to spend perhaps 1000 to 2000 dollars to get it all done. About the cars worth.

But once all that has been done, the cars can be driven comortally and reliably for another 100k miles or 10 years. Well worth the effort in the long run. Very cost effective.

But our wives and friends won't' understand.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:10 PM

what if you've done all the refresh and 4 more problems pop up? i have an intake leak, need to re-do my valve cover gaskets, timing chain water pump, brake lines are leaking a little as well. what do i do first? moneys tight as my other car was hit a few weeks back and i'm being blamed. ( bs )
Old 11-05-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
what if you've done all the refresh and 4 more problems pop up? i have an intake leak, need to re-do my valve cover gaskets, timing chain water pump, brake lines are leaking a little as well. what do i do first? moneys tight as my other car was hit a few weeks back and i'm being blamed. ( bs )
Oh man I am so sorry. Getting hit is my nightmare with this car - that would mean losing all the time and effort put into it. I hope that it all works out with the other vehicle.

I wish I could come help you! I enjoyed the overhaul a lot, but pairing it with my master's class, packing for the move, my last business trip and the project I'm leading at work really stressed me out. I'm glad it's done for now.

If I were in your shoes I'd try to pick the cheapest, most time sensitive thing and do that first. Good luck my friend!

Last edited by Shrout1; 11-05-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Agreed on the mid life refresh concept...

But our wives and friends won't' understand.
Yeah the wife thinks this thing is a money sump. And it's certainly cost a bit - far more than the car's worth. But in the meantime I've learned about braking systems, transmissions, suspensions, engines. I've done almost every major auto repair under the sun and had a car I love to drive for the past three years. I've got a long ways to go when it comes to repair work; I couldn't have pulled the engine without the help of my friend. But I am so excited to be learning on this car. I even learned how to drive stick on it!

I hope that it can give me another 100k - I certainly wouldn't mind being stuck with it
Old 11-05-2017, 04:35 PM
JvG

I always do safety first, mission critical stuff next, then annoying things, and nice improvements if possible.

so I would say the brake lines are high priory, do that first.

the water pump is mission critical, do that second.

the intake leak can be fixed at the same time you do the valve cover gaskets, since you are in there anyway. Which would also be a nice time to rebuild the rear fuel injectors and clean out the egr system.

All this should cost no more than one car payment, if you do it all yourself.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:48 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Shrout1
Yeah the wife thinks this thing is a money sump. And it's certainly cost a bit - far more than the car's worth. But in the meantime I've learned about braking systems, transmissions, suspensions, engines. I've done almost every major auto repair under the sun and had a car I love to drive for the past three years. I've got a long ways to go when it comes to repair work; I couldn't have pulled the engine without the help of my friend. But I am so excited to be learning on this car. I even learned how to drive stick on it!

I hope that it can give me another 100k - I certainly wouldn't mind being stuck with it
So you have driven the car for three years already, and have learned a set of skills which you can use for the rest of your life. This set of skills means that you won't need to buy new cars, or pay a mechanic mega giga bucks to repair an older car.

My knowledge of cars came to me gradually over the last 46 years. I did not know much about cars, and the internet did not exist. I rebuilt an engine in 1977. This year I rebuilt an other one. What I learned from the first experience helped me with the recent one.

What your car has tought you about car repairs is actually more valuable than the car its self.
I learned through the school of hard knocks.
I made mistakes, like we all do. The learning curve was steep at first. I sometimes felt like I was beating my head againt the wall. My first attempts were the subject of laughs by my friends.

Back in the 70s, diy was far more common than now, and car loans were harder to get.

These days people buy or lease new cars.
They look prosperous, but know very little about what happens under the hood. Just like all their friends. While people like you and I get laughed at because we get dirty.
​​​​​

Last edited by JvG; 11-05-2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 11-05-2017, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
I always do safety first, mission critical stuff next, then annoying things, and nice improvements if possible.

so I would say the brake lines are high priory, do that first.

the water pump is mission critical, do that second.

the intake leak can be fixed at the same time you do the valve cover gaskets, since you are in there anyway. Which would also be a nice time to rebuild the rear fuel injectors and clean out the egr system. did that already

All this should cost no more than one car payment, if you do it all yourself.
brake lines are next, good point on the valve cover and intake gaskets. water pump is only part of the problem, had a timing chain tensioner noise for years and the engines at 286,000. so, keeping her safe is a priority and will do brake lines next. do them both i'm guessing? only one is leaking, i hope the damn master cylinder isn't going south on me as well.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:31 PM
JvG

brake lines are next, good point on the valve cover and intake gaskets. water pump is only part of the problem, had a timing chain tensioner noise for years and the engines at 286,000. so, keeping her safe is a priority and will do brake lines next. do them both i'm guessing? only one is leaking, i hope the damn master cylinder isn't going south on me as well.
You must live in an area where road salt is used.
Which brake lines are involved? Is it a metal line, or a rubber hose?

In your opinion, how much of a pita will it be to replace just the leaking line? Also same question regarding he other line?

Perhaps one line is in better condition than the other, and could out last the car.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 PM

They started fading away within the first three years of release. Have you seen the rusted radiator support pics posted on the org?
Old 11-06-2017, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm new to the org since I just recently obtained a '98 SE for $360. Can't help feeling like I stole it but it needs some help. I did some body work already, so now my plan is to replace the motor mounts, lower control arms (and tie rod ends), the hub bearings, and possibly the half-shafts. The only thing I know that was done recently was the clutch. I'm in it for so little that I don't mind throwing more at it and I do like the car even if I'm not exactly passionate about it. I like learning about mechanic-ing; regretfully I didn't have the patience or fortitude to learn when I was younger but I'm only 32 so it's not too late.

It has 294k on it. Texas, so no rust. The car still seems strong and capable but how much is left is unknown and I'm doubtful about how much it will be worth if I decide to sell it in a few years. Might keep it as a backup if nothing else. I am impressed by y'all's enthusiasm for these cars.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:24 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by falkin42
I'm new to the org since I just recently obtained a '98 SE for $360. Can't help feeling like I stole it but it needs some help. I did some body work already, so now my plan is to replace the motor mounts, lower control arms (and tie rod ends), the hub bearings, and possibly the half-shafts. The only thing I know that was done recently was the clutch. I'm in it for so little that I don't mind throwing more at it and I do like the car even if I'm not exactly passionate about it. I like learning about mechanic-ing; regretfully I didn't have the patience or fortitude to learn when I was younger but I'm only 32 so it's not too late.

It has 294k on it. Texas, so no rust. The car still seems strong and capable but how much is left is unknown and I'm doubtful about how much it will be worth if I decide to sell it in a few years. Might keep it as a backup if nothing else. I am impressed by y'all's enthusiasm for these cars.
Your car might last a lot longer than you have in mind.

As I tell a lot of members, the skills you learn by working on your Maxima will serve you well long after the Maxima is gone.

Maximas LOVE attention. They are very appreciative of the work you do, and will serve you quite well.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:26 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by falkin42

As I tell a lot of members, the skills you learn by working on your Maxima will serve you well long after the Maxima is gone.

Maximas LOVE attention. They are very appreciative of the work you do, and will serve you quite well.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by JvG

+1 -- With proper care, it could see another 100,000 miles.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 PM

The first thing here is because what Nissan made vq to be the engine that it is the ward's top ten engine that is very reliable and how it operates. The engineering and parts manufacturing the engine to it's limit. It's pure bulletproof. This car with no matter what miles on the car it's about maintenanced of the wear and tear parts that will keep it going. The body or rust issues that will be another story, but this will also have an impact on the cars appeal and performance depending on where and what part of the car is rusting like the core support, if that goes the whole front drops. I know they have many other cars that were on the ward's top ten that are great and they will run but can they be compared to the good vq grave like condtions.