4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Crunchy clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 06:15 PM

Crunchy clutch noise

Since swapping the clutch (pulled the engine) I’ve been getting a really weird cracking sound when I’m coming back off the clutch in gear, especially first.

At about 5 seconds you’ll hear it. Sorry no video it was dark out and I didn’t have a cameraman.

New clutch disk / plate / throwout bearing. It seems especially bad when I’m trying to apply a fair amount of torque on a quick start. Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

possibly input shaft bearing or bearing at first gear. Is there some sound at neutral and other gears ? What about reverse ?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:46 AM

How far does the thrwout bearing travel on the input shaft? I noticed that the input shaft sleeve didn’t have any lubrication on it. Would I even be able to hear the throwout bearing moving back and forth on the sleeve?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:52 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Shrout1
How far does the thrwout bearing travel on the input shaft? I noticed that the input shaft sleeve didn’t have any lubrication on it. Would I even be able to hear the throwout bearing moving back and forth on the sleeve?
So did you grease the input shaft, the inside of the clutch where it slides over the input shaft, and the inside of th pilot bearing?

Many clutch kits include the grease for this.

I used high temperature wheel bearing grease on a Toyota Corolla clutch I did earlier this year. It works fine.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Hard to tell from the sound i would check the axles also.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:27 PM
JvG

I listened to the noise this time.

I agree with Krismax. Sounds like axle noise.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:41 AM

Axle noise associated with the clutch? It correlates directly with the clutch pedal being lifted and torque being applied.

My axles were replaced in February and I'm sure they seated correctly when we put them back in, but it's worth a check.

Seems like my passenger side axle has a bad CV joint :P They're remanned A-1 Cardone's and I hear this happens. I may just end up rebuilding the joint, the boot is fine.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
So did you grease the input shaft, the inside of the clutch where it slides over the input shaft, and the inside of th pilot bearing?
So to be fair as I was doing the water pump my mechanic friend was doing the clutch. He spent 17 years of his life doing it professionally and did manage to put the whole engine back in successfully (or at least mostly ) so I'm assuming if it needed grease, it got grease. The man has a garage filled with all the things.

I'm wondering specifically if the inner diameter of the throwout bearing should have been greased where it rides on the input shaft sleeve (I'm assuming that's what it rides on...). I looked at it, asked my friend if that gets greased and he said that it doesn't usually.

I may take the car back by his place and have him give it a once over. With my move looming I'm not sure I have the time to drop the transmission again. We'll see! Might be worth it...
Old 11-16-2017, 09:21 AM

I would jack up the car on one side (non-VLSD) so the tire can spin freely then run the car so maybe you can hear the noise. I've done that on automatics to find a noisy wheel bearing.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 AM

Just to follow up on this... After about 2500 miles this noise went away. I think it was something to do with the new throwout bearing or clutch plate getting properly seated. No more crunchy clutch noise and no intervention from myself.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:03 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Shrout1
Just to follow up on this... After about 2500 miles this noise went away. I think it was something to do with the new throwout bearing or clutch plate getting properly seated. No more crunchy clutch noise and no intervention from myself.
Thank you for reporting your sucessful outcome.