4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ignition Upgrade...I think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 08:29 AM

Ignition Upgrade...I think?

Did anyone see this on the stillen website, I just noticed it today...is this new?

Its going for $625
Old 02-02-2002, 08:39 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Ignition Upgrade...I think?

Originally posted by gtr_rider
Did anyone see this on the stillen website, I just noticed it today...is this new?

Its going for $625

you can get it for cheaper than that...

and they have been around for awhile.. it doesn't to too much for us though...
Old 02-02-2002, 09:11 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I think that's what roadbeast is running. I have NOT heard of anyone running this.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:29 AM
Howie

Originally posted by bags533
I think that's what roadbeast is running. I have NOT heard of anyone running this.
I have been running this for a while and it is not true that it does not do anything for us it does, I bought from stillen also but not that much I paid $325 with s/h

Old 02-02-2002, 11:56 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by Howie

I have been running this for a while and it is not true that it does not do anything for us it does, I bought from stillen also but not that much I paid $325 with s/h
what benefits??? Stillen says 4 hp gain...???
Old 02-02-2002, 12:00 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I waiting for the MSD version

MSD probably will make a digital ignition so I can retard the timing. If not, they have the Stacker ignition which function basically like the HKS.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:05 PM
Howie

Re: I waiting for the MSD version

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
MSD probably will make a digital ignition so I can retard the timing. If not, they have the Stacker ignition which is function basically like the HKS.
well isn"t 4hp more better than none??????? or it has to over 25hp to be considered gain, do more get more buddy

Old 02-02-2002, 12:08 PM

No way a NA will gain 4hp with an ignition upgrade. They are a waste of money on NA cars.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:13 PM
i SeE what you did therE

No way a NA will gain 4hp with an ignition upgrade. They are a waste of money on NA cars.
that was the point i was trying to make.. but i forgot to mention the N/A part in my earlier post..
Old 02-02-2002, 01:51 PM

I think iginition upgrade will help cars running nitrous.

I had some ignition problems with my 100shot. I had to close up the gap on the spark plugs. If I upgrade to either HKS or the MSD. I could open up the gap again to get a better spark. I'm just waiting for MSD. I feel better working with parts that are from the states. It's easier to get customer support and warranty repair.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

As redmaxpa007 said it has been around for a while.
It is a very needed part in ur car since u r looking to gather all three :Air, fuel, and electricity( plugs,twin power, etc.)
So i guess to get the total package from ur car u have to plug the twin power....as for what it gives......it gave me a better response through the whole rpm...... BUT i didnt get what other maximas got cuz:::: my spark plugs r dead........in order to get the complete advantage from the twinpower u need to upgrade ur plugs.( denso, SF,etc..)

Last but not least since that there are only few performance parts for the max then i guess up to 4 horses r not bad at all......even if it cost u 479$ (including tax)

Maxima rules!

fist302
Old 02-02-2002, 04:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: I waiting for the MSD version

Originally posted by Howie

well isn"t 4hp more better than none??????? or it has to over 25hp to be considered gain, do more get more buddy
If your willing to pay $625 for only 4 horses, be my guest. Its a waste!
Old 02-02-2002, 06:59 PM

Unclemax is supposed to have an MSD ignition for his Max. I have been trying to find out how it works. Haven't heard back yet.
Old 02-02-2002, 07:58 PM

It works because it's hooked up to a Haltech stand along fuel/ignition system. The Digital 6 DIS system can only fire up to 4 channels/coils...ie Late model V8 Mustang. It won't work on 4th gen because we have 6 coils. The MSD Stacker will work on the maxima, but it hasn't been relased yet. It's pretty much function like the HKS as a piggy back to the OEM ignition system.

Originally posted by nigelcmf
Unclemax is supposed to have an MSD ignition for his Max. I have been trying to find out how it works. Haven't heard back yet.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:48 PM

It works because it's hooked up to a Haltech stand along fuel/ignition system. The Digital 6 DIS system can only fire up to 4 channels/coils...ie Late model V8 Mustang. It won't work on 4th gen because we have 6 coils. The MSD Stacker will work on the maxima, but it hasn't been relased yet. It's pretty much function like the HKS as a piggy back to the OEM ignition system.

Dude you're right! The digital 6 DIS system does only fire up to 4 channels/coils, but that's not the reason it cannot be used. The main reason it cannot be used is that ours is a transistorized coil system. If it were not transistorized, then it would work by the "wasted spark" technique whereby two plugs are fired at once, one on the ignition stroke and the other on the exhaust stroke. That way you only use three channels (hooking two together) and that's how it can work on a V8 (using four channels). No doubt, firing individually has it's advantages.

I am interested in the MSD stacker, do you have more information on that (other than it has not been released yet)?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2002, 11:24 PM

http://www.msdignition.com/n2000.htm

Dude you're right! The digital 6 DIS system does only fire up to 4 channels/coils, but that's not the reason it cannot be used. The main reason it cannot be used is that ours is a transistorized coil system. If it were not transistorized, then it would work by the "wasted spark" technique whereby two plugs are fired at once, one on the ignition stroke and the other on the exhaust stroke. That way you only use three channels (hooking two together) and that's how it can work on a V8 (using four channels). No doubt, firing individually has it's advantages.

I am interested in the MSD stacker, do you have more information on that (other than it has not been released yet)?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2002, 11:45 PM

http://www.msdignition.com/n2000.htm

Thanks man! Any idea when it might be available? ... just thought you might know, since you know it hasn't been released yet.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:20 AM

I asked MSD a few times over the phone and the date keeps getting pushed back.

Thanks man! Any idea when it might be available? ... just thought you might know, since you know it hasn't been released yet.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:22 AM

One way to test out if the HKS works might be using this tester.

http://buy.snapon.com/products/diagn...00&dir=catalog

It can measure Kilovolt. I guess take some measurements before intallation the unit and take somre measurements after.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:36 AM

Re: One way to test out if the HKS works might be using this tester.

http://buy.snapon.com/products/diagn...00&dir=catalog

It can measure Kilovolt. I guess take some measurements before intall the unit and take somre measurements after.
Actually, I am more interested in the engine retard stuff than voltage. But thanks for the info. It seems that this product may not be able to do that ... but there is limited info on the site.

Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2002, 12:41 AM

Re: Re: One way to test out if the HKS works might be using this tester.

If you find a way to retard the timing short of stand alone ignition system, please let me know.

Actually, I am more interested in the engine retard stuff than voltage. But thanks for the info. It seems that this product may not be able to do that ... but there is limited info on the site.

Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2002, 12:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: One way to test out if the HKS works might be using this tester.

If you find a way to retard the timing short of stand alone ignition system, please let me know.

Sure, no problem!
Old 02-03-2002, 07:04 AM

I have been thinking about this for a while too. The best idea I have had so far is to replace the individual coil pacs with a three chanel wasted spard set up. You can get the coil pack assembly for under $100. MSD makes Hemi spark plug attachers that are long and will fit down the plug holes on the Max. My application is a little different because I am boosted, I want ignition retard but boost referenced. Now I just need to find some one who makes a three chanel ignition controller that takes a MAP sensor input?
Old 02-03-2002, 10:01 AM

Don't believe anything your read unless you know how reliable the source is. Most guys on here came to the conclusion that the HKS twin power doesn't work because Loren (.org member) bought it when it first came out. That was 2 years ago. He dynoed tested on his SC maxima and it provided no gain. That doesn't mean it didn't do anything, but it just didn't do anything for a car that's making ~270ish HP. It might provide good gains for someone that's making 350hp, but who knows. This is why I brought up the Snap On Tool. With that tool you can actually take measurement independent of the rest of the car.

Originally posted by rOaD bEaSt
I think that many guys said that I'm a lier when I said that Twin Power is working in maxima and you can find that in stillen and this will give you about 4 HP , please guys next time before you say to anyone lier be sure if this was true or not ..

I will sell mine if any one intrested please contact me for the price

Thanks
Old 02-04-2002, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
I have been thinking about this for a while too. The best idea I have had so far is to replace the individual coil pacs with a three chanel wasted spard set up. You can get the coil pack assembly for under $100. MSD makes Hemi spark plug attachers that are long and will fit down the plug holes on the Max. My application is a little different because I am boosted, I want ignition retard but boost referenced. Now I just need to find some one who makes a three chanel ignition controller that takes a MAP sensor input?
You'll probably need a Haltech management system to work with the MSD. They're not cheap, but do the job!

Yeah, if you find one that is boost dependent, let me know!
Old 02-04-2002, 09:35 AM

Don't believe anything your read unless you know how reliable the source is. Most guys on here came to the conclusion that the HKS twin power doesn't work because Loren (.org member) bought it when it first came out. That was 2 years ago. He dynoed tested on his SC maxima and it provided no gain. That doesn't mean it didn't do anything, but it just didn't do anything for a car that's making ~270ish HP. It might provide good gains for someone that's making 350hp, but who knows. This is why I brought up the Snap On Tool. With that tool you can actually take measurement independent of the rest of the car.

nice sig.