4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Random misfiring with a rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Random misfiring with a rough idle

I recently picked up the 99 I30 with 225k miles on it for a pretty good deal but was warned of the exhaust leak and what was described as some sort of mist. I changed the oil and filter, spark plugs and bled the brakes to start everything off on a fresh base for routine maintenance, lately though I've been pulling up a few different codes, P0300 P1320 P1130 and P1105. All of these seem to connect with what I've noticed to be a rough idle, misfiring, and to smell like it's running rich. I replaced the spark plugs after I noticed it started to misfire but that didn't change anything and the old plugs seemed to look a little old but nothing unusual, I checked the wiring connections that connect to the coil packs and they're all putting 12 volts so it didn't seem to be an issue with the harness. I haven't checked the resistance for the coil packs to see if they're still any good but perhaps it could just be all from this exhaust leak which I doubt but maybe, it was patched for a bit and seemed to run smoother but now it's kinda losing it's hold on the flex pipe where the hole is. Any ideas on what all these problems could lead to the actual issue? I also just ran through the codes again earlier today and it's all the same except for the 1320 is gone.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:55 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

99 was a bad year for coil packs. What brand are they?
Old 05-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Haven't checked, what brands should I look out for with fault packs and good new ones?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:21 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Perhaps this will help. http://www.nissanforums.com/a32-1995-1999-chassis/112130-99-maxima-rough-engine-ignition-coil.html#/topics/112130

I never had problems with the Hanshin coils in my 98. My 99 had them replaced before I purchased it. Now I'm curious what they are.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 AM

Yeah I'd bet it's a coil pack the resistance testing isn't always accurate just pull coil pack one by one while its idling and if one doesn't affect the idle at all it's bad. coil packs do tend to go out around the same time so some reccomend replacing them all at the same time unless one has failed prematurely. AutoZone coils have always worked fine for me and if not take it back
Old 05-17-2018, 07:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JSutter
Perhaps this will help. http://www.nissanforums.com/a32-1995.../topics/112130

I never had problems with the Hanshin coils in my 98. My 99 had them replaced before I purchased it. Now I'm curious what they are.
Yeah that post is looking a lot like with what I got going on, now I just gotta mess around with what packs are still good. When I have time this weekend I'll be able to look into everything a little more thorough

Originally Posted by Violator
Yeah I'd bet it's a coil pack the resistance testing isn't always accurate just pull coil pack one by one while its idling and if one doesn't affect the idle at all it's bad. coil packs do tend to go out around the same time so some reccomend replacing them all at the same time unless one has failed prematurely. AutoZone coils have always worked fine for me and if not take it back
Ok I checked the ohms on a couple when I got home just now and one post is reading around 1.9 megaohms and the other post doesn't show anything. Would unplugging the packs from the harness be the same affect as pulling it off the plug? Because I did that the first time I looked at everything and the idle still seemed the same on each pack getting unplugged. Do you know if the packs from Autozone come in packs of three or by themselves, because 300-400 for all 6 seems pretty steep but I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by elabono
Yeah that post is looking a lot like with what I got going on, now I just gotta mess around with what packs are still good. When I have time this weekend I'll be able to look into everything a little more thorough

Ok I checked the ohms on a couple when I got home just now and one post is reading around 1.9 megaohms and the other post doesn't show anything. Would unplugging the packs from the harness be the same affect as pulling it off the plug? Because I did that the first time I looked at everything and the idle still seemed the same on each pack getting unplugged. Do you know if the packs from Autozone come in packs of three or by themselves, because 300-400 for all 6 seems pretty steep but I wouldn't be surprised.
I think it's around 50 for the fronts and 60 for the backs. And yes unplugging/pulling them would have the same affect, I do know that testing by multimeter can be unreliable and that disconnecting each coil has been how I found the bad one
Old 05-27-2018, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JSutter
Perhaps this will help. http://www.nissanforums.com/a32-1995.../topics/112130

Just replaced all the packs with some others I pulled out of a 98 maxima and it runs back to normal, old ones were Hanshin as well. Still get the p1130 and p1105 code after that and after some driving a p0303 pulled up so could it be from a bad vacuum leak or mostly from the swirl valve and MAP sensor maybe not working right?