4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Black door pillars and buffing

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 08:05 AM

Black door pillars and buffing

Has anyone tried to buff them.The door pillars on my car are fading and i thought about using a buffer on them if so what kind of wax etc,i do not want to take the black vinyl off the car (white car) or put carbon fiber on.Yes i did a search and could not find any thing thanks
Old 02-03-2002, 08:09 AM

Re: Black door pillars and buffing

Originally posted by shane
Has anyone tried to buff them.The door pillars on my car are fading and i thought about using a buffer on them if so what kind of wax etc,i do not want to take the black vinyl off the car (white car) or put carbon fiber on.Yes i did a search and could not find any thing thanks
You might try a "plastic polish." Several of the big name wax product companies make them. I know Mother's & Meguiar's each make one.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:06 PM

where can i get this at,cant remember ever seeing it thanks
Old 02-03-2002, 12:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

where can i get this at,cant remember ever seeing it thanks
You could always take them off. . . It is just a black plastic tape. . . That is what I did and it is painted underneath. Only thing is you may have to buff out some small scratches because it isn't perfect under there.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:08 PM

Think i could usse a scratch and haze remover on the door pillars,would the buffer hurt my vent shades any thanks
Old 02-09-2002, 09:38 PM

i do not want to take the black vinyl off the car
Originally posted by Adidas_Boy

You could always take them off. . . It is just a black plastic tape. . . That is what I did and it is painted underneath. Only thing is you may have to buff out some small scratches because it isn't perfect under there.
anyway i took mine off too, some people just painted over them, its just vinyl
Old 02-09-2002, 09:44 PM

then why not just put black vinyl over them instead?
Old 02-17-2002, 05:08 PM

Has anyone had the vinyl replaced with some more vinyl if so how much etc thanks
Old 02-17-2002, 05:15 PM

Has anyone had the vinyl replaced with some more vinyl if so how much etc thanks
Should be no more than $25. Any local graphics/vinyl shop should be able to do it for you. I was quoted $40 for carbon-fiber (which was more expensive than black of course), but they guy was like "But why do you want to bother putting the vinyl back on, the paint looks better," and so I left it off.
-Cyrus
Old 02-18-2002, 04:35 PM

I would leave the vinyl off but the car is white with tinted windows and the back are a shader darker cant remember how much darker and to me that white would not look very nice thanks
Old 02-18-2002, 05:24 PM

I would leave the vinyl off but the car is white with tinted windows and the back are a shader darker cant remember how much darker and to me that white would not look very nice thanks

I think it looks great!
I'll probably be doing my own car this week.

IanS
Old 02-18-2002, 07:59 PM

How do you remove them?

I painted mine this June and they are already starting to fade.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:43 PM

Yeah, who has some hints on doing this because I would like to do this to my max in the next week or two. If someone could write how they did it, and any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks

- Mike
Old 02-19-2002, 04:25 AM

Re: Black door pillars and buffing

Don't peal them off. You will never get the paint to sit right on the metal.. Just tape them off very well and spray paint them w/ "bumper black" which is designed to stick on the vynal material. It works great..
Or you can go to Nissan and pay $20 each for new stickers.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:53 AM

Re: Re: Black door pillars and buffing

Originally posted by cbr2
Don't peal them off. You will never get the paint to sit right on the metal.. Just tape them off very well and spray paint them w/ "bumper black" which is designed to stick on the vynal material. It works great..
Or you can go to Nissan and pay $20 each for new stickers.
No way, you can get this part from NIssan? All that time Ive spent taping and painting down the drain. Have any idea what the part is called?

Also, does this sticker just go on top of the existing viynl or does the old viynl need to be stripped off?

Does the $20 cover an entire side?
Old 02-19-2002, 08:46 AM

Re: Re: Black door pillars and buffing

Originally posted by cbr2
Don't peal them off. You will never get the paint to sit right on the metal..
whatcha talking about? mine is sitting quite nicely
Old 02-19-2002, 09:39 AM
MaximaFreak

Re: Re: Re: Black door pillars and buffing

Originally posted by RedMax95
whatcha talking about? mine is sitting quite nicely
So, I'm a little confused. If I take the black pieces off, there is paint underneath? If so, it obviously won't sit flush - so I'm taking it that you just painted the tape? Or you took the tape off and painted the pastic? If so, what kind of paint did you use/how did you do it? I have some ideas, but looking to see how someone already did it.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Black door pillars and buffing

Originally posted by Big_Ham

So, I'm a little confused. If I take the black pieces off, there is paint underneath? If so, it obviously won't sit flush - so I'm taking it that you just painted the tape? Or you took the tape off and painted the pastic? If so, what kind of paint did you use/how did you do it? I have some ideas, but looking to see how someone already did it.
I think someone needs to do a writeup of how to do this properly.

And I still don't get what anyone means by "sitting improperly". Looks fine to me.

And how bad is th paint underneath? Is it missing the Clearcoat or something? Does it just need to be buffed?

Why is taking the sticker off anything but a good idea?

IanS
Old 02-19-2002, 12:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Black door pillars and buffing

Originally posted by iansw

I think someone needs to do a writeup of how to do this properly.

And I still don't get what anyone means by "sitting improperly". Looks fine to me.

And how bad is th paint underneath? Is it missing the Clearcoat or something? Does it just need to be buffed?

Why is taking the sticker off anything but a good idea?

IanS
I had the vinal taken off and it looks fine to me also. . . It is painted and clear coated, but it just needs to have some scratches, at most, buffed out. The vinal isn't that thick and it doesn't look irregular at all. As for doing it correctly, I have no clue how to do it as I just had the body shop do it while it was being fixed for other things.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:30 PM

and buffing

heres my write up:
1. open front door
2. use fingernails to pull up vinyl behind door
3. heat up the vinyl piece with a hairdryer so it will come off in one piece and you have less glue left on it
4. pull the piece, follow the edges and make sure to get it out from under the trim, its much easier if you can keep it in one piece
5. now you see paint, mine was very close to the paint color, already clearcoated, no scratches, use some adhesive remover to get rid of the glue stuff
6. wax
7. back door: open both front and back doors
8. you need to pull back the weatherstripping a little in order to get the piece started
9. once you start pulling off the piece repeat steps 2-6
10. enjoy
Old 02-19-2002, 02:59 PM

I buffed it and it did not help with the fading/peeling look that i have all the buffing did was get rid of the scratches that i had so i will do something else
Old 02-19-2002, 03:39 PM

I buffed it and it did not help with the fading/peeling look that i have all the buffing did was get rid of the scratches that i had so i will do something else
You buffed the paint or the plastic sticker?

ebmorgan did his today on his I30...just removed the tape, used some goo-gone to remove the adhesive left over, wash and wax, and viola!

looks nice!

IanS
Old 05-01-2002, 07:28 PM

anyone have a pic of this mod on a White maxima with tinted windows? how does it look in a tinted car? I'm wondering if it would look better just to keep it on. Thanks

Kevin
Old 05-01-2002, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Kevin
anyone have a pic of this mod on a White maxima with tinted windows? how does it look in a tinted car? I'm wondering if it would look better just to keep it on. Thanks

Kevin

I have a pic of ebmorgan's I30, which is white:

IanS
Old 05-01-2002, 10:22 PM
Custom User Title...

i really want to do this...mines white and the one on the first page with altezza's looks awesome. my only problem is, i just recently put on the vent visors (rain guards)...so it would probably be a pain to take those off and do that...so i don't know what to do.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:51 AM

HELP

HELP!!! I have started taking off the black tape from my pillars! The glue didnt come off very well. I have Lots of glue left on my pillars. I have tried goo b gone and thats not working. What other kind of SAFE adhesive can I use? Please help ! I have a gimp door ! LOL
Old 10-10-2002, 09:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: HELP

Originally posted by MystiWink
HELP!!! I have started taking off the black tape from my pillars! The glue didnt come off very well. I have Lots of glue left on my pillars. I have tried goo b gone and thats not working. What other kind of SAFE adhesive can I use? Please help ! I have a gimp door ! LOL
dry it off.. and rub with isopropyl rubbing alcohol. just wash right after
Old 11-07-2002, 05:42 AM

3m adhesive remover

Hi I just wanted re-post about Pillars!
1.Go to the store and get 3m adhesive remover! rubbing alcohol works great but 3m is better!! bug and tar remover also works.
2. use a hair dryer it helps the tape get soft!
3. do one side at a time and use your nail to scrape off the glue

I still have some glue left on my pillars.. even after all that work!
Mysti~~
Old 08-03-2003, 08:31 AM

I was doing this and one side of my car didn't have the tape at all...it was painted black, this was the side of the car that I got a door panel replaced. I'm gueessing the guy at the body shop just painted it instead of putting the tape back on...any ideas on how to fix my now messed up car?
Old 08-03-2003, 12:55 PM

well you will have to either get new tape (possibly carbon fiber)or go yell at the bodyshop, they should have realized it wasnt painted on the other side in the first place
Old 08-03-2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by my99maxisnice
I was doing this and one side of my car didn't have the tape at all...it was painted black, this was the side of the car that I got a door panel replaced. I'm gueessing the guy at the body shop just painted it instead of putting the tape back on...any ideas on how to fix my now messed up car?
only way is to get it repainted back to beige cg2 or just re wrap it in vinyl.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:44 AM

well i did the passenger side on both doors and i got 3M adhesive remover but it won't take the glue off. It just took the dirt off of the glue. Now there's buncha yellow with white. So what do I do? How can i remove the glue? Any suggestions or advice would be great. Thanx
Old 12-03-2003, 06:30 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

POlishing it with any kind of polish is only going to make it look worse. It's vinyl...the outer surface isn't scratched, it's missing altogether. replace the vinyl or peel it off. I will be doing this to my car next summer. I'm going to get vinyl, peel, and see how it looks. I've seen good pics of my car (dark green) with it off...but I need to see it in person to be sure.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:06 PM

man i just got done with peeling the tape off of the door pillars and those instructions redmax95 gave are perfect (Make sure you heat it up real nice till the tape is actually melting cuz as the tape peels, it takes the glue off too. Also, if there is glue left, spray 3M adhesive remover and get a credit card and scrape. It should come off with ease.) I don't know if the time and effort was worth it. With the black tape, it looked fine, but without it, it just adds a little character to it, but not much. Just giving a little heads up.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:58 PM

jeez..seems like a pain in the ***...sumone mind posting a before n after pic??
Old 03-01-2004, 10:23 PM

It looks 100 times better with the sticker peeled off.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:53 PM

Wow. Your cars look like Crown Victorias now!

Old 03-02-2004, 10:40 AM

looks good with tint. I had a problem too though, body work was done on the driver side with a prior owner. When I peeled the vinyl on that side, the paint was sanded down almost to the metal...So I had to repaint that side.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:57 PM

HELP!! Im having trouble getting some of the vinyl out from under the trim, anyone have any ideas on how to get it out, i mean its being stuborn. thanks in advance
Old 10-10-2004, 03:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

that looks great man, i may try this

Quick Reply: Black door pillars and buffing