another coil failure, what do you suggest I do - Maxima Forums

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

another coil failure, what do you suggest I do

Old 07-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #1  

another coil failure, what do you suggest I do

1st - Lost an original coil, replaced with a Duralast one from autozone, no problems.

2nd - Lost another original coil and ordered a full set minus one for that which I just replaced.

Installed two of those new coils, one in place of 2nd original that failed, and one on another cylinder where the original still worked. The others were pretty stuck so I just left them since they still work.

3rd - lost one of the new ones from the set, replaced with the original that still worked.

4th - lost a second one of the set I bought, and now have none left working to replace it with.

So this is four failed coils in a few hundred miles.

This set I bought is Hitachi which I have read is good quality, and it seems they are failing more than the Duralast or originals.

The spark plugs are fine. Is this just a bad set of coils or what could be killing them like this? Should I buy another Duralast? A whole set of another brand?
plat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #2  

Is your car a 99? Because coil failure like that is very common on the 99's

Coil failure is much more rare in earlier cars.

Are you sure the spark plugs are fine? When did you replace them last? And what kind did you use?

It's also possible that something else is killing your coils.
maximaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #3  

My car is a 97. The plugs came with the car but look good and have correct gap, and correct NGK part. I was thinking if something else that could kill them or I just got a bad Hitachi set?

Last edited by plat; 07-13-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #4  

How many miles have you put on the car since buying it? How many miles do you think are on the plugs?

Those are actually not the OE type. NGK is OEM, but not that particular version. The one you have is single platinum. The OE type is double platinum. NGK Laser Platinum is the name of the OE type. Double platinum lasts longer than single platinum.

Four failed coils within 100 miles on a pre-99 is relatively unheard of.

Have the fuel injectors ever been replaced? Do you have any CEL codes?
maximaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #5  

I've had the car just over a year and put on 14k miles with no problems.

If I had to guess, the plugs are newish because the car had some other work done shortly before the sale to me as well and maybe did them.

The fuel injectors I can only assume are original, and have never had issues or messed with them.

Well, when this happens I get the flashing CEL for a misfire and get code for misfire on a cylinder, and sometimes an ignition circuit code as well. I don't have a scanner so I'm flashing these out on the CEL to read them.

When I check the coils, the bad one is totally dead at idle and makes no difference unplugging it. If I move it to another cylinder, the problem moves.

Failures are located: 2 on cylinder #2, 1 on cylinder #4 and 1 on cylinder #6
Strangely none on the other bank.

Measuring the good and bad ones with a v/ohm meter, the resistance of the primary and secondary windings are sometimes still pretty close to normal and sometimes way out. It seems pretty random.

Last edited by plat; 07-13-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #6  

I wonder if something electronically upstream has gone off spec. Maybe the voltage spec feeding the coils is off or the wire compromised and can't feed all of them running simultaneously Compromised amps draw.

And then it could be you got a bad batch. It does happen. Hopefully, there's a LLW and you can bring all 6 back and get a fresh batch.

But if you do that and they fall quickly too, look elsewhere.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I bought two from Napa. Never looked back. Supposedly they use(d) the same OEM manufacturer as the reliable years.

But reviews are all over the place, as are the results. I guess it's more about luck!
KP11520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:06 AM   #7  
JvG

KP might be correct about something upsteam causing failure. I don't know what that might be.
I know that our car has an igniter. I'm not sure what that does.

Consider also that the coils have ground wires. Perhaps a corroded contact could cause issues. But it's is a wild assed guess.

Look on the bank by the radiator, where it meets the intake manifold. Look for some ground wires which are attached with screws. Remove the screw, sand the wire contacts. Also under where the screw would go on the manifold.

You do have an unusual problem.

One suggestion is to buy some spares at a wrecking yard. Coils can last for a very long time, so the junkyard ones should work just fine.
JvG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvG View Post
KP might be correct about something upsteam causing failure. I don't know what that might be.
I know that our car has an igniter. I'm not sure what that does.

Consider also that the coils have ground wires. Perhaps a corroded contact could cause issues. But it's is a wild assed guess.

Look on the bank by the radiator, where it meets the intake manifold. Look for some ground wires which are attached with screws. Remove the screw, sand the wire contacts. Also under where the screw would go on the manifold.

You do have an unusual problem.

One suggestion is to buy some spares at a wrecking yard. Coils can last for a very long time, so the junkyard ones should work just fine.
The ECU is the ground that opens and causes the field collapse and coil saturation, then the Spark...I'd suggest you take an ole school timing light and place the inductive clip around the coilpack harness of each coilpack to view the firing consistency! The ignition process is very visible and you can find ignition problems really fast this way...New Hitachi Coilpacks giving you problem is hard to believe! I would suggest you invest in a new Crankshaft sensor at the crank pulley and transmission mating line!
CMax03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #9  

Rockauto sells good quality parts I'd suggest you leave that Duralast Crap alone!
Old Today, 08:30 AM   #10  

Well????????? How's it going with your coil issues??????????