4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help. Parking lights and instrument cluster(side and rear) won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 04:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need help. Parking lights and instrument cluster(side and rear) won't turn off

Out of nowhere my parking lights won't go off. The dash lights are on too. This is not even day one so I don't know if this will be a battery drain overnight. I took the switch off the car and it still wouldn't go out. Only taking the 7.5amp #5 fuse out turns them off and I have to use the dimmer switch to turn the cluster out. I am really ready to just let this car go now. Someone encourage me to keep it by giving me a solution. I cannot find a parking lamp relay either.

This is not the brake pedal switch and stopper. This is the parking lights
Old 05-18-2022, 11:25 AM

Ground short? Sometimes things are wired hot and the ground is what gets interrupted when turning off.

Have you recently done other work and moved wires to access? Start there.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Ground short? Sometimes things are wired hot and the ground is what gets interrupted when turning off.

Have you recently done other work and moved wires to access? Start there.
No work done there no. I'm beginning to think that it is just the stalk. Looking at the diagram I see that the power is constant and that it breaks around the switch so it is possible that the switch is bad. That's the cheapest way before I run for diagnostic. Contrary to what everyone told me that is no relay for the parking lightsl instrument cluster
Old 05-18-2022, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon and Ian
No work done there no. I'm beginning to think that it is just the stalk. Looking at the diagram I see that the power is constant and that it breaks around the switch so it is possible that the switch is bad. That's the cheapest way before I run for diagnostic. Contrary to what everyone told me that is no relay for the parking lightsl instrument cluster
You said above you took the switch out and the lights were still lit? Did you physically remove it and completely unplug all wires?

If you didn't unplug everything, then a new switch assembly is the most likely. There's a lot going on inside all those things. Directionals, Parking Lights,, Fog Lights and Headlights AND a lot of cumulative stress over 25 years or so of driving. The parking lights are one step on the switch, so that gives a high probability of that theory.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:19 PM

You said above you took the switch out and the lights were still lit? Did you physically remove it and completely unplug all wires?

If you didn't unplug everything, then a new switch assembly is the most likely. There's a lot going on inside all those things. Directionals, Parking Lights,, Fog Lights and Headlights AND a lot of cumulative stress over 25 years or so of driving. The parking lights are one step on the switch, so that gives a high probability of that theory.
Yes. I unplugged the stalk/switch and the parking lights and cluster was still lit. Only when I take out the 7.5amp fuse(s) is when the lights go out
Old 05-19-2022, 04:20 PM

oh, and thank you for the reply
Old 05-19-2022, 04:31 PM

Yes. I unplugged the stalk/switch and the parking lights and cluster was still lit. Only when I take out the 7.5amp fuse(s) is when the lights go out

That sounds like a short, but who knows? Maybe the switch when working properly somehow disrupts flow of volts? But that sounds like wishful thinking. Please let us know!

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2022, 03:23 PM

That sounds like a short, but who knows? Maybe the switch when working properly somehow disrupts flow of volts? But that sounds like wishful thinking. Please let us know!

Good luck!
Found it and this is my post on the Maxima page on Facebook.
"Update on Parking Lights not going off. I traced all the relays in the motor and fuses and came up with nothing. Changed a headlight switch and nothing. Playing around with relays under the dash I find this one is loose (my foot must have kicked it) and it was loose. Clicked it back in and walla the parking and dash lights turn off and back to normal. Can someone tell me what this block of relays are? "

Old 05-23-2022, 05:32 PM

So..... Bigfoot is REAL?

Congrats! Extra Kudos for being able to trace it to that point and even know where to look!

Murphy's relays! Something about Murphy's Luck I think!
Old 05-23-2022, 08:33 PM

looks like a block of relays for an aftermarket alarm system. Door lock, unlock, starter kill, flashing lights, etc.. DEI is parent company that makes alarm system that goes by a bunch of other names, viper, python, etc.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:43 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Found it and this is my post on the Maxima page on Facebook.
"Update on Parking Lights not going off. I traced all the relays in the motor and fuses and came up with nothing. Changed a headlight switch and nothing. Playing around with relays under the dash I find this one is loose (my foot must have kicked it) and it was loose. Clicked it back in and walla the parking and dash lights turn off and back to normal. Can someone tell me what this block of relays are? "

Before finding this did you know you had any aftermarket electronics?
Old 05-24-2022, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Before finding this did you know you had any aftermarket electronics?
Just the Remote Start. I know I have an Automate Alarm too but that is quirky