4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help deciding...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Banned

Need help deciding...

Sold my I35 a few days ago and looking to go back to a 4th gen maxima which I had such good luck with my 99 (over 400k miles.)

Have come across a couple of 99s that look like good deals within my price range (basically same price.) Wondering what thoughts were about either.

First one: GLE in Sterling mist, black leather interior, 167k miles

Second one: GXE in whatever flaming red that is, gray cloth interior, 195k miles:

Thoughts?
Old 11-29-2018, 12:31 PM

With a full tank of gas, and if they run good, $700 is the most I'd pay.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Why did you sell the I35? I thought you appreciated the extra 30hp?

Between the two choices, it's a no brainer. The GLE.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
With a full tank of gas, and if they run good, $700 is the most I'd pay.
Really? What blue book or comp price world are you living in? Show me where you're getting that number, I'll wait. (And to be fair, yeah I only paid $300 for my 99 Maxima that I put 400k miles on, but I got lucky as hell since I actually bought it from Goodwill.)

Also do you still feel that way since it's been proven that the 4th gen is by far the most reliable of all the Maximas (see the recent 5th gen discussion.)

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw your post in the 5th gen forum. I can guess where you're getting that number now, and it's not even close.

Last edited by sb001; 11-29-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Why did you sell the I35? I thought you appreciated the extra 30hp?

Between the two choices, it's a no brainer. The GLE.
Not when the CV axles/ drive train can't handle it. Have you not seen my post in the I35 forum? What a piece of crap, others having the exact same issues tells me never a 5th gen again.

Back on topic--why the GLE? (I know you're a sterling mist fanatic, got to give me more than that.)

Last edited by sb001; 11-29-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sb001
Not when the CV axles/ drive train can't handle it. Have you not seen my post in the I35 forum? What a piece of crap, others having the exact same issues tells me never a 5th gen again.

Back on topic--why the GLE? (I know you're a sterling mist fanatic, got to give me more than that.)
I don't buy the CV axles/drive train story one bit. I have a supercharged 5th gen with an extra 100hp over stock. I have a supercharged 4th gen with double the hp as stock. No issues. Unfortunately, it sounds like your I35 was neglected and you got stuck with it.

GLE has all the bells and whistles (electronic climate control etc) while the GXE is stripped down. I prefer leather over cloth. Plus, the mileage was lower. As much as I like Sterling Mist, it didn't influence my decision of which Max to pick.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:59 PM

I'm sorry the I35 didn't work out

In regards to the two 99's you just found, you will just have to drive them and take a look at them, like any car in the low price bracket for cars under $3000 or so. In that range, it's all about condition.

For the 99 model year, side airbags were optional but only with leather. Some people may prefer the side airbags, while others may not care as much. The I30 got the side airbags from 98, but I'm not sure about the Maxima.

The 99 Maximas have a couple issues not found on the 95-98 models. I've heard of immobilizer problems, and frequent coil failure (the latter also carried over to the 5th gen). The coils almost never die on the pre-99's, and of course they don't have the immobilizer, either.

The I30 is still worth considering, being a Maxima with more features, like LSD, auto-dimming mirror, and headrests in the back seat. The I30 also got the AMB button for the climate control from 98, whereas the Maxima only got it in 99. If you're lucky, you'll find a 5-speed I30t (the 5th gen I30/I35 was auto-only). If you get an I30, you can use the European headlights which are glass and take H4 bulbs (rather than the terrible 9004 lights we got in the US). And used I30 prices aren't necessarily more than a regular Maxima, so you might as well get the extra features for the same price.

As you know, lower miles doesn't necessarily mean better condition. And remember to check the radiator support!

Good luck
Old 11-29-2018, 05:06 PM
Administrator

^Yup, well said.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:29 PM
Banned

I don't buy the CV axles/drive train story one bit. I have a supercharged 5th gen with an extra 100hp over stock. I have a supercharged 4th gen with double the hp as stock. No issues. Unfortunately, it sounds like your I35 was neglected and you got stuck with it.

GLE has all the bells and whistles (electronic climate control etc) while the GXE is stripped down. I prefer leather over cloth. Plus, the mileage was lower. As much as I like Sterling Mist, it didn't influence my decision of which Max to pick.
Well I knew the GLE was the loaded one but actually the GXE pictured has pretty much everything the GLE does except the leather- and TBH I kind of prefer cloth since it's more "temperature neutral" and stuff doesn't slide around on it, but that's not really a big deal with me I'd take either.

Your extra 100 HP must not be making it to the wheels. If I was the only one experiencing those issues that's one thing but when there are multiple complaints including one guy who's giving up completely on the 5th gen because of multiple CV axle failures, hmm. BTW my 99 was obviously wrecked in front when I bought it, the suspension was terrible. I had to buy new shocks, control arms, tie rods, sway bar links, and get an alignment. The one thing I never replaced on it were the CV axles. Just saying.

Last edited by sb001; 11-29-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maximaxi
I'm sorry the I35 didn't work out

In regards to the two 99's you just found, you will just have to drive them and take a look at them, like any car in the low price bracket for cars under $3000 or so. In that range, it's all about condition.

For the 99 model year, side airbags were optional but only with leather. Some people may prefer the side airbags, while others may not care as much. The I30 got the side airbags from 98, but I'm not sure about the Maxima.

The 99 Maximas have a couple issues not found on the 95-98 models. I've heard of immobilizer problems, and frequent coil failure (the latter also carried over to the 5th gen). The coils almost never die on the pre-99's, and of course they don't have the immobilizer, either.

The I30 is still worth considering, being a Maxima with more features, like LSD, auto-dimming mirror, and headrests in the back seat. The I30 also got the AMB button for the climate control from 98, whereas the Maxima only got it in 99. If you're lucky, you'll find a 5-speed I30t (the 5th gen I30/I35 was auto-only). If you get an I30, you can use the European headlights which are glass and take H4 bulbs (rather than the terrible 9004 lights we got in the US). And used I30 prices aren't necessarily more than a regular Maxima, so you might as well get the extra features for the same price.

As you know, lower miles doesn't necessarily mean better condition. And remember to check the radiator support!

Good luck
Thanks maxi! I don't blame anyone one bit except myself And no harm in the long run since I sold it for what I had in it,
It's really amazing the story behind that car- I test drove it and it was great except for a kind of shudder when I accelerated. Over the next week or so it grew worse so I took it to the shop and that's where they diagnosed the broken motor mount. I thought "OK fix that and everything's peachy." What actually happened was when that motor mount was fixed, the ride suddenly grew so harsh whenever I went over a bump it felt like my teeth were going to fall out! It was crazy- the only explanation was the broken motor mount hid other issues with the suspension. So I replaced the shocks and then there was a wicked shimmy- so then I got the CV axles replaced and that smoothed it out considerably vut there was still something going on not quite right- like the other poster in the Infiniti forum it seemed to be transmission or differential related or something. I couldn't take any more risk with it.
I guess I won't completely exclude Infiniti from the list but honestly I was absolutely fine with the Maxima's offerings, don't really need the other snazzed up stuff. But if I do look I'll be looking for the I30. In fact I did find one for a decent price here, see what you think:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...roduct_details

I actually test drove this one the other day and it seemed fine, the only problem was you had to keep your foot on the gas while starting it otherwise it would die (apparently this is fairly common and due to a clogged idle air control valve, no big deal.) In fact it drove a lot closer to my 99 Maxima (same powertrain of course.). And he said he'd take $1500 for it. Maybe I ought to call it a day?

Last edited by sb001; 11-29-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Well I knew the GLE was the loaded one but actually the GXE pictured has pretty much everything the GLE does except the leather- and TBH I kind of prefer cloth since it's more "temperature neutral" and stuff doesn't slide around on it, but that's not really a big deal with me I'd take either.

Your extra 100 HP must not be making it to the wheels. If I was the only one experiencing those issues that's one thing but when there are multiple complaints including one guy who's giving up completely on the 5th gen because of multiple CV axle failures, hmm. BTW my 99 was obviously wrecked in front when I bought it, the suspension was terrible. I had to buy new shocks, control arms, tie rods, sway bar links, and get an alignment. The one thing I never replaced on it were the CV axles. Just saying.
Besides leather, there are many differences between a GXE and GLE. GXEs can't have digital climate control, don't have Bose stereo's etc. Shoot for a fully optioned SE or GLE. They're gonna be the same price at the end of the day, why not get the one with the most options?

Of all the thousands and thousands of Maximas sold, you're hanging your hat on the multiple complaints you've read? Really? What about the thousands and thousands of Maxima owners who have had no issues and didn't bother to create a thread about it? As you know, when your car is running great, people rarely post about it. But when something goes wrong, you better believe they're gonna share their story. LOL
Old 11-29-2018, 06:34 PM
Banned

Besides leather, there are many differences between a GXE and GLE. GXEs can't have digital climate control, don't have Bose stereo's etc. Shoot for a fully optioned SE or GLE. They're gonna be the same price at the end of the day, why not get the one with the most options?

Of all the thousands and thousands of Maximas sold, you're hanging your hat on the multiple complaints you've read? Really? What about the thousands and thousands of Maxima owners who have had no issues and didn't bother to create a thread about it? As you know, when your car is running great, people rarely post about it. But when something goes wrong, you better believe they're gonna share their story. LOL
Fair enough.
Just one thing- the GXE pictured above does in fact have the Bose system, it's (not so) clearly visible on the tape deck door.
All rabble rousing aside, I do take your point, But like I said in the other thread, often all it takes is one bad experience (or several as is the case with the other poster.)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Fair enough.
Just one thing- the GXE pictured above does in fact have the Bose system, it's (not so) clearly visible on the tape deck door.
All rabble rousing aside, I do take your point, But like I said in the other thread, often all it takes is one bad experience (or several as is the case with the other poster.)
That's not a GXE. It's an SE. SE's have white gauges and fog lights. Bose was optional. Cloth seats were standard. The seller is an idiot and doesn't know what he has. GXE's had black faced gauges and no fog lights.
I'd track down a Maxima with heated seats (SE or GLE only). Where you are, I figure you'd appreciate it. Shoot, I appreciate my heated seats here in Southern California this time of year.
What you neglected to point out is in that same very thread (just read it) some people are saying that they haven't experienced those issues and it's not the norm for the car.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:40 AM

That's not a GXE. It's an SE. SE's have white gauges and fog lights.
The Wiz beat me to it ... and I'll take his statements a bit further ...

That's an SE-L. That color is Crimson Blaze and was only available on the late '99 SE-Ls.

Also, the door emblems scream SE-L.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:29 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Don't let any 99 haters dissuade you. Each year has it's own list of pros and cons.

Let the overall condition of the car be number one priority.

​​​​

Old 11-30-2018, 11:47 AM

Thanks maxi! I don't blame anyone one bit except myself And no harm in the long run since I sold it for what I had in it,
It's really amazing the story behind that car- I test drove it and it was great except for a kind of shudder when I accelerated. Over the next week or so it grew worse so I took it to the shop and that's where they diagnosed the broken motor mount. I thought "OK fix that and everything's peachy." What actually happened was when that motor mount was fixed, the ride suddenly grew so harsh whenever I went over a bump it felt like my teeth were going to fall out! It was crazy- the only explanation was the broken motor mount hid other issues with the suspension. So I replaced the shocks and then there was a wicked shimmy- so then I got the CV axles replaced and that smoothed it out considerably vut there was still something going on not quite right- like the other poster in the Infiniti forum it seemed to be transmission or differential related or something. I couldn't take any more risk with it.
I guess I won't completely exclude Infiniti from the list but honestly I was absolutely fine with the Maxima's offerings, don't really need the other snazzed up stuff. But if I do look I'll be looking for the I30. In fact I did find one for a decent price here, see what you think:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...roduct_details

I actually test drove this one the other day and it seemed fine, the only problem was you had to keep your foot on the gas while starting it otherwise it would die (apparently this is fairly common and due to a clogged idle air control valve, no big deal.) In fact it drove a lot closer to my 99 Maxima (same powertrain of course.). And he said he'd take $1500 for it. Maybe I ought to call it a day?
Yeah, I'd pass on that I30 on FB, too. If it was really just the IACV, they would've cleaned or replaced it.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:01 PM
JvG

Yeah, I'd pass on that I30 on FB, too. If it was really just the IACV, they would've cleaned or replaced it.
Perhaps they don't know what's going on with their car, or their "mechanic" doesnt. Consider the situation with your own car for example

The infinti runs OK if the foot is on the gas a bit.

If the car does not get enough air to idle due to an iacv blockage, pressing on the gas a bit would provide enough air for idling.

Last edited by JvG; 11-30-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Perhaps they don't know what's going on with their car, or their "mechanic" doesnt. Consider the situation with your own car for example

The infinti runs OK if the foot is on the gas a bit.

If the car does not get enough air to idle due to an iacv blockage, pressing on the gas a bit would provide enough air for idling.
Actually, I forgot to update on my own car. Now I think it might be the MAF, since I sprayed some CRC MAF cleaner on my MAF, and it hasn't stalled since. And I will not be selling my car on the open market. It will go to the junkyard and I will take the easy $300

I don'tr know too much about the 5th gen, but I have heard it being a step down from the 4th in terms of reliability.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:18 AM

Unless the previous owner recently performed extreme maintenance or provided exceptional care, any 4th or 5th gen that someone purchases, with over 150,000 miles will be due for a midlife refresh. I've learned over the years to budget $2,000 to $3,000 to refresh a good solid 4th gen. Here's a couple of stories about the 98 model's midlife refresh below.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...gen-today.html

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...on-wheels.html
Old 12-01-2018, 09:07 PM
Banned

After MUCH headaches today of going two hours away to look at an 02 Maxima that turned out to be complete crap (and this was AFTER I paid a mobile mechanic to go look at it and he gave it a clean bill of health ) I was about ready to just concede and go with either that 01 Infiniti or a local 02 that drove OK but had a bunch of dings in the back quarter panel, stereo didn't work rips in the seat etc. Both were $1500.
By sheer luck, I happened to look on facebook one more time this afternoon after getting back from my trip, lo and behold an 02 Maxima GLE had popped up a few minutes earlier for $1700. Almost no cosmetic damage (just a scuff on the front right bumper corner), pristine interior, heated seats AND steering wheel, Bose 6 CD stereo, the works. 170k miles. I met the seller and test drove it and besides the shocks needing replaced and (I believe) a slight cylinder misfire as it has a very slight hesitation if I floor it hard, otherwise it drove absolutely fine. I asked him if he'd take $1500 and he agreed. So I now have my new car and am happy I waited! Pics to follow sometime soon.
P.S. I am holding Wiz to his word that the CV axles on the 5th gen last forever.

Last edited by sb001; 12-01-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Banned

As promised....

Old 12-02-2018, 03:54 PM

Looks nice! Congratulations!
Old 12-02-2018, 04:01 PM
Banned

Thanks!
Guess I will be catching u all over on the 5th gen forum now.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:50 PM

Good luck with the new 02 Maxima. I hope you get many enjoyable miles out of it
Old 12-02-2018, 10:21 PM

Damn I was thinking you'd get the crimson red max. Great color and it looked in decent condition.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:02 PM
Banned

Good luck with the new 02 Maxima. I hope you get many enjoyable miles out of it
Thanks Maxi! Still miss my 99 though...
Old 12-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoshG
Damn I was thinking you'd get the crimson red max. Great color and it looked in decent condition.
It was WAAYY high up on the list, and I do love the color (although it sort of screams "pull me over".) But it was going to be tough to figure out how to get it as it's in Dallas and I'm up here in Arkansas. Plus, the Wizard said the GLE was a no-brainer and all...

Last edited by sb001; 12-02-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:38 AM
Administrator

It was WAAYY high up on the list, and I do love the color (although it sort of screams "pull me over".) But it was going to be tough to figure out how to get it as it's in Dallas and I'm up here in Arkansas. Plus, the Wizard said the GLE was a no-brainer and all...
Not sure why my name keeps being brought up, and your inferences to me in the other threads.

It's not my fault you don't know your trim levels and options/rarities/things to look for....
Generally speaking, IMO of course, fully loaded SE>GLE>GXE
A 99 SE-L Crimson Blaze Maxima is one of those special cars.

I hope you enjoy your Grandma Gold Maxima and it treats you well.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:32 AM

Thanks Maxi! Still miss my 99 though...
It's ok. Once you get the hesitation and misfire sorted out, your 02 will be much faster and more powerful
Old 12-03-2018, 01:57 PM
JvG

Congratulations. Looks like a nice car.

1500 buys a lot of car for the money.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:03 PM

😂 I didn't expect OP to buy another 5.5 gen after owning his 02 i35 for about two weeks.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:28 PM
Banned

Not sure why my name keeps being brought up, and your inferences to me in the other threads.

It's not my fault you don't know your trim levels and options/rarities/things to look for....
Generally speaking, IMO of course, fully loaded SE>GLE>GXE
A 99 SE-L Crimson Blaze Maxima is one of those special cars.

And it's not MY fault it took you 3 posts and me pointing out the Bose system before YOU picked up on the fact that it was an SE, so let's not go there. I brought your name up because your opinion seems to change with the wind and it's always related to petty stuff with these cars. Suddenly an SE is better than a GLE and a "special car," even after you speciifcally stated you would not want a Maxima with cloth seats, non-auto climate control system, etc. because the paint job makes all the difference in this one??

You also defended the 5.5 gen maxima in another post, because of its larger displacement engine and sportier performance, now you're saying you'd take this 4th gen over that just because of the color?? How old are you???

There's a thread in the general forum asking why maxima.org sucks so bad now. I'd say posts like the one you made above are prime reasons.

Last edited by sb001; 12-03-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98 i30t 5spd
�� I didn't expect OP to buy another 5.5 gen after owning his 02 i35 for about two weeks.
Why not? Just because one was neglected doesn't mean they all were. And this Maxima actually has more features than the Infiniti.
I do have a problem with this one, however-- but I will post it over in the 5th gen forum so as not to disturb the clamoring over the paint color of that red 4th gen here.

Last edited by sb001; 12-03-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM

Damn these mods must of been done years ago! check out this crazy 95 maxima. Someone can give it some love again even though it may look dumb these days. It's history.

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/maxima/6741466094.html
Old 12-03-2018, 08:34 PM

Why not? Just because one was neglected doesn't mean they all were. And this Maxima actually has more features than the Infiniti.
I do have a problem with this one, however-- but I will post it over in the 5th gen forum so as not to disturb the clamoring over the paint color of that red 4th gen here.
I get that all owners are different. But by the way this thread started, I expected you to go back to a 4th gen. Good luck with this one, I personally would not spend a dime on another 5.5 gen after owning a 04 i35 for 9 years.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Banned

I get that all owners are different. But by the way this thread started, I expected you to go back to a 4th gen. Good luck with this one, I personally would not spend a dime on another 5.5 gen after owning a 04 i35 for 9 years.
That is completely fair, i assume from your comment that you had lots of trouble. I am still new to the 5th gen and decided to give it another shot after the I35, mainly because (as Wiz actually posted earlier) it is tough to assess how much of the trouble I encountered were design/engineering flaws and how much is just neglect. So far this one seems to ride a lot better, but there are still issues- the seat heaters don't seem to work, CD changer still has trouble reading discs (and I occasionally have the left channel cutout issue), and--most importantly right now--it's throwing a P0011 code which is apparently VVT related. I can deal with some of that but if I can't get the VVT issue resolved this one may go the way of the I35.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:34 PM

That is completely fair, i assume from your comment that you had lots of trouble. I am still new to the 5th gen and decided to give it another shot after the I35, mainly because (as Wiz actually posted earlier) it is tough to assess how much of the trouble I encountered were design/engineering flaws and how much is just neglect. So far this one seems to ride a lot better, but there are still issues- the seat heaters don't seem to work, CD changer still has trouble reading discs (and I occasionally have the left channel cutout issue), and--most importantly right now--it's throwing a P0011 code which is apparently VVT related. I can deal with some of that but if I can't get the VVT issue resolved this one may go the way of the I35.
Actually, my i35 was very reliable. That's way I owned it for so long. I stayed on top of its maintenance. The biggest issue for me was the engine burning oil. I'd give up rear heated seats, rear sun shade, heated steering wheel, and a 6cd Bose (which stopped working) for a clean 4th gen.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:31 AM

Actually, my i35 was very reliable. That's way I owned it for so long. I stayed on top of its maintenance. The biggest issue for me was the engine burning oil. I'd give up rear heated seats, rear sun shade, heated steering wheel, and a 6cd Bose (which stopped working) for a clean 4th gen.
because race car
Old 12-04-2018, 02:34 AM

Why not?
Old 12-04-2018, 04:01 AM

Hey ... I have an idea ...

Didn’t the OP shop, find and purchase another car, which was the process that prompted the initiation of this thread?

That process having been completed, let’s let this whole thing go shall we?

There seems to be a good amount of pissy replies relative to opinions, perspectives and observations that, at this point, don’t matter in the least.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding...