4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

High Pressure Hose To Steering Rack Hardline HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 12:18 PM

High Pressure Hose To Steering Rack Hardline HELP

Edit: my nut on the steering rack end was just frozen to the line making the line twist with it. I'll pull one at the junkyard, if it's frozen and i cant get it to cooperate I'll cut the line and reflare it

​​​​​​
49712M in the picture. It's a discontinued SOLID 1 piece hardline that goes from the steering rack (visible from topside directly below the fuel filter) through a rubber filled retaining bracket bolted to the firewall, along the firewall up the corner on the passenger side to the hose and sensor assembly behind the passenger strut. I'm doing a full 3.5 swap and have to replace the pressure switch with the 02/03 pressure sensor and the whole assembly twisted and broke the hardline clean off and I still never got the frozen power steering switch nut broken loose, then I found out the side that goes into the steering rack under the fuel filter is solid unlike a clutch line and the entire assembly threads in as 1 piece.

I'd think with its placement Nissan techs are wizards or an advanced alien race. How on Earth am I supposed to remove this line from a pick n pull or even if it wasn't discontinued installing a brand new one in an empty bay would be problematic. it's tucked in the corner of the firewall along the passenger side, assembly on one end with the shape of the line and that whole thing needed screwed in like that?

My hardline is now broken at both ends, could this even be welded back together?

Last edited by Violator; 02-20-2019 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Cleaned up thread
Old 02-18-2019, 06:27 PM

Maybe the line was flat-ish when threading the whole thing in and then bent to conform to the engine bay.

If its safe to bend these headlines, the retaining bracket is only held on by 2 10mm bolts and ?they are accessible with stock exhaust?(Chime in?) you could maybe then bend it to were you could unscrew the whole assembly together and lift it out.

Only problems I could see here is the bending and also that bracket not having enough space to rotate with the hardline in a full rotation, but you can only open up the bracket from underneath and with stock exhaust I doubt its accessible. Ill take a picture of what I mean when I get home
Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maybe find a shop that deals with hydraulics to make you a line? I dont think it would have to necessarily be a hardline, it would just need to fit where it needs to. I think its pretty safe to say that your hardline is FUBAR, definitely not something you want to be bending, once it gets pinched its toast.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:29 AM
Father of the 00 VI

The 2000-2003 maxima one is discontinued also. I broke mine doing my project.

I got one off in the junkyard . But it could be made.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by krismax
The 2000-2003 maxima one is discontinued also. I broke mine doing my project.

I got one off in the junkyard . But it could be made.
ENLIGHTEN ME!!! The 03 hose looks the same just that the high pressure hose and sensor assembly behind the strut aren't part of the hardline itself. How did you remove this at a junkyard? (49713+A)

As far as making my own/having one made I was thinking flexible PFTE with the right size end for the steering rack end and for the metal assembly end just drill out where the hardline was and tap the hole to thread in the line, or if that won't work I'd have it welded on. dont have the metal assembly tossed it after it sat on the counter for a few days I was planning on just junkyard ******* this, I thought the steering rack end was like a clutch line and wasn't expecting the whole thing to be a solid one piece tucked back behind the engine with a retaining bracket that is probably a PITA

Last edited by Violator; 02-19-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:28 PM

My line seems to of just frozen at the steering rack. I do think the nut is separate from the line itself and that mine seized and twisted with the nut and broke, making it seem like it was a 1 piece line and impossible design. Makes a lot more sense now, I'll try on all the junkyard cars I can find, if I don't have any luck I'll probably make a PFTE line with the fitting for the steering rack, then drill and tap the hose/sensor assembly for a fitting
Old 02-21-2019, 03:50 PM

I've avoided line trouble with a flare nut wrench.