4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake Pads (Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 02:44 PM

Brake Pads (Questions)

Last week I put on Bendix Import Quiet OEM brake pads that I got for $28 from Auto Barn (front set). Excellent stopping power and no squeeking, HOWEVER, in only 4 days of moderate driving, my rims were almost completely BLACK!!!
I could not live with having to clean my rims every 5 days so I went to Pep Boys today and got a set of Raybestos pads for the front. A friend of mine who has a 5th Gen. said that they give off very little dust and are very quiet.
Two Questions:
1) Are these pads known for not dusting a lot and being quiet? They seemed fine after I installed them, now Im interested to know how long my rims will stay clean under moderate driving.
2) After the install (2nd within one week) my brake pedal was able to travel much further than it could before. The braking power was fine, but only after pressing the pedal down a good distance. My question is will adding some brake fluid to the resevoir fix this problem? After squeezing the pistons down and putting them back on I got in the car and pumped the pedal to get the air out of the lines. Then I closed the cap to the resevoir and went for a drive. I can live with the pedal how it is, but I prefer it to be very responsive when I tap it, not soft where it requires a heavy push to brake.
Thanks for any advice....
Old 02-04-2002, 03:45 PM

Re: Brake Pads (Questions)

Originally posted by araffio
Last week I put on Bendix Import Quiet OEM brake pads that I got for $28 from Auto Barn (front set). Excellent stopping power and no squeeking, HOWEVER, in only 4 days of moderate driving, my rims were almost completely BLACK!!!
I could not live with having to clean my rims every 5 days so I went to Pep Boys today and got a set of Raybestos pads for the front. A friend of mine who has a 5th Gen. said that they give off very little dust and are very quiet.
Two Questions:
1) Are these pads known for not dusting a lot and being quiet? They seemed fine after I installed them, now Im interested to know how long my rims will stay clean under moderate driving.
2) After the install (2nd within one week) my brake pedal was able to travel much further than it could before. The braking power was fine, but only after pressing the pedal down a good distance. My question is will adding some brake fluid to the resevoir fix this problem? After squeezing the pistons down and putting them back on I got in the car and pumped the pedal to get the air out of the lines. Then I closed the cap to the resevoir and went for a drive. I can live with the pedal how it is, but I prefer it to be very responsive when I tap it, not soft where it requires a heavy push to brake.
Thanks for any advice....
I have no experience with Raybestos so I can't help on question 1, but for the second part...What you described is not the way to get air out of the lines. First off, if the fluid is low, add it to the proper level. If you want to bleed the brakes to get the air out you need to attach a hose to the bleed screw on the caliper and sub-merge the other end in a clear jar filled a little with brake fluid. You will a second person in the car to start pushing on the brake pedal. While they are doing this you will open the bleed screw and then close it after the bubbles stop. Now let your friend release the brake pedal to the up position. Do not pump the pedal, or release it with the bleed screw open. Repeat as many times as necessary at each caliper to make all the air disapear, and remember to constantly check the level of fluid in the reservoir. You don't want it to get too low while you do the procedure.

These were kind of the quick and dirty instructions. I'm sure if you search there will be some more detailed ones already posted. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:26 PM

Re: Re: Brake Pads (Questions)

Is it common for this to happen after a brake job? After the install I did last week my brake pedal was perfect, now it depresses too far. The level in the resevoir is perfect so I don't think I'm low on fluid. I don't know, it's just annoying thats all.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:30 PM

I have not had experience with the rebestos pads either. But I do have the Axxis metal masters. They are suppose to be no sqeeking, no fade, no dust. The only one true is the fade. But for the dust, there is still some but not as much as oem. As far as the sqeeking goes. I found out that they only really do it when they are dirty. After I wash my car that goes away. As far as your pedal feel, the guy before my pretty much summed it up.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Brake Pads (Questions)

Originally posted by araffio
Is it common for this to happen after a brake job? After the install I did last week my brake pedal was perfect, now it depresses too far. The level in the resevoir is perfect so I don't think I'm low on fluid. I don't know, it's just annoying thats all.
What you're describing sounds to me like a mushy pedal, especially with the pedal travel. This leads me to believe that air is in the system and needs to bled out. Honestly, this shouldn't happen at all with a normal pad change. I'm guessing that since you pumped the pedal with cap off, the fluid in the reservoir was agitated enough to introduce air into the system causing your problems. The only other thing I can think of is that their was air trapped in your system and with the brake job it traveled to a spot that makes itself more noticeable to you, but I really don't think this is the case.

Bleeding the system is relatively easy, but a little time consuming. If that doesn't "cure" your pedal, I'm at loss as to what the issue might be. Maybe some others have another idea??
Old 02-04-2002, 07:56 PM

bleed brakes or you might need new brake lines.