4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

installed cai...sort of...look inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

installed cai...sort of...look inside

I just finished putting on my intake. It's a PR CAI. However, I did not put the long tube in, so I guess it's sort of a HAI. I already had a hole there from the previous CAI(before my SC, after I got the SC, I sold the CAI...now I sold the SC, I bought another CAI). Anyway, I thought it didn't seem to align right. I didn't want to drill another hole. So, I said what the heck and did the install like a HAI. The only part I didn't use was the long curve tube that came with the CAI. Yes, there's a point to all of this rambling. I am wonder is this setup better, should I just leave it at that? There is a quite a growl from the intake, I couldn't tell if it's the same as a conventional CAI. I noticed that with my stock air box, my highway speed is pretty strong, but lacks low end power. Could this setup be the best of both? Another thing, there's nothing blocking or holding the filter. It sits very close, actually touching my battery holder thing. Should I put back the lower portion of the stock air box to enclose the filter? Sorry for the newbie like question, but I have too used to the SC, so I forgot how it's like with a conventional setup. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:56 PM

Btw, I also cleaned out my TB today too. It's very nice and clean now. So far I haven't noticed any difference, but I only been driving around the streets near my house.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:40 PM

I kind of know what you mean...Keep that setup for the winter (cold out) and put the curve on and put the filter in the wheel wel for the summer (hot weather) there is a guy that does that on the .org

Old 02-04-2002, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by matty
I kind of know what you mean...Keep that setup for the winter (cold out) and put the curve on and put the filter in the wheel wel for the summer (hot weather) there is a guy that does that on the .org

Me
Old 02-04-2002, 06:21 PM

So basically, your using the upper intake pipe with a pop-charger? That's what I was planning on doing, but I realized PR is charging about $95 for the upper pipe to use it on my pop-charger. I'm planning on just buying the whole CAI, but yea, I was planning on doing that setup, hope you like it. May be a difficult question to answer, but do you happen to remember if the whole CAI was better than your current setup, sound or performance wise?
Old 02-04-2002, 06:58 PM

Re: installed cai...sort of...look inside

Originally posted by Cumalot
I just finished putting on my intake. It's a PR CAI. However, I did not put the long tube in, so I guess it's sort of a HAI. I already had a hole there from the previous CAI(before my SC, after I got the SC, I sold the CAI...now I sold the SC, I bought another CAI). Anyway, I thought it didn't seem to align right. I didn't want to drill another hole. So, I said what the heck and did the install like a HAI. The only part I didn't use was the long curve tube that came with the CAI. Yes, there's a point to all of this rambling. I am wonder is this setup better, should I just leave it at that? There is a quite a growl from the intake, I couldn't tell if it's the same as a conventional CAI. I noticed that with my stock air box, my highway speed is pretty strong, but lacks low end power. Could this setup be the best of both? Another thing, there's nothing blocking or holding the filter. It sits very close, actually touching my battery holder thing. Should I put back the lower portion of the stock air box to enclose the filter? Sorry for the newbie like question, but I have too used to the SC, so I forgot how it's like with a conventional setup. Thanks.
I was thinking about doing the same with mine. Since I have a PR CAI that I took out and replaced with a JWT (Don't ask, I have CEL issues). I was thinking of using the upper tube to connect the vacumm hoses to the pipe. Getting rid of that resontor piece that then sticking it straight to the JWT.. Do you think that will yield higher gains? Sound?
Old 02-04-2002, 07:07 PM

ive been doing this for awhile....old noticas....
Old 02-04-2002, 07:17 PM

Re: Re: installed cai...sort of...look inside

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

I was thinking about doing the same with mine. Since I have a PR CAI that I took out and replaced with a JWT (Don't ask, I have CEL issues). I was thinking of using the upper tube to connect the vacumm hoses to the pipe. Getting rid of that resontor piece that then sticking it straight to the JWT.. Do you think that will yield higher gains? Sound?
I figured it was a good theory, but I too would like to hear from those who have had both setups.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by buss95max
ive been doing this for awhile....old noticas....
Did you notice better sound/gains with the PR upper tube/JWT.. Rather then connecting just the JWT to the TB?
Old 02-04-2002, 07:30 PM

with my intake under the hood(hooked up to the pr tube). im WAY quicker on the fwy, unlike the slow rpm climb i get with my cai. lowend isn't as great, but its decent. i ran @ the track with both setups and i ran 1mph slower with the intake under the hood, but ran .1 faster.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:36 PM

with my intake under the hood(hooked up to the pr tube). im WAY quicker on the fwy, unlike the slow rpm climb i get with my cai. lowend isn't as great, but its decent. i ran @ the track with both setups and i ran 1mph slower with the intake under the hood, but ran .1 faster.
Hmm, that's sounds good to me, I might just get that upper intake tube and call it a day, still don't wanna bother with the cutting of the hole.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:37 PM

To clarify, I'm using the PR tube that goes after the TB. So it's:
TB to PR tube to MAFS to filter.

I just came back from a friend's place and when I was going home, I had the chance to really push the car. My reaction:

I don't really know if it's the modified CAI to HAI setup or not. What do I call this anyway? PR HAI? Like I said, I also cleaned out the TB too. Plus, I also add this mixture into my gas tank. It suppose to clean out the internals of the car like fuel injectors and such, I forgot what exactly it does. These two factors might have helped, I'm not sure.

Anyway, the growl is very strong. It's as strong, maybe a bit stronger than the CAI. I noticed when I stomp on the gas driving around in the streets, the pull is pretty strong. I got only one chance to really lay it down on the street. I was about a few houses to my house when I just say let see what happen. After I made the turn, I stomp on the gas. I was shocked at the outcome. The intake roar to life, the car chirped into 2nd gear plus I had to hold onto the steering wheel a bit stronger because it gave me a strong torque steer. I was like WTH?! I don't know if that's just an one time thing or not. Btw, I'm running on the stock 15" rims and tires.

I think it's not all the intake. I think cleaning out the TB and adding that mixture really helped. That got to be the reason, no way an intake could help this much.

So, on the street and on the highway, it's pretty strong. I like it, I'm definitely going to keep this setup.

I am not sure what's the real reason why I got a big jump in performance. I don't really care, I just hope it stay this way.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:44 PM

i cleaned my t/b recently and i didnt feel crap. i have 145k on my car btw. ive taken my cai off and on to try out which is best. cai always wins for low and mid punch. but fwy driving is much better with the intake under the hood.

my setup goes..

t/b > pr pipe > maf > intake that comes with the pr cai.

no stock resanator. basicly the pr cai can serve as a HAI and a CAI.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:46 PM

my setup goes..

t/b > pr pipe > maf > intake that comes with the pr cai.

no stock resanator.

Same setup as me. This might be a dumb question, but what does the stock resantor look like? I guess I don't have that on because other than the MAFS, no stock part.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:48 PM

Btw, everything is great and all now, but the annoying lag in the auto tranny is still there.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:55 PM

BenBlanco218

do you have a write up on how you did the dash LEDs?! thats hot ta def, kid
Old 02-04-2002, 10:06 PM

I'm wondering if I get a larger filter, would that improve anything? It has some more room to go, maybe not a longer filter, but a wider one might fit if I move a few stuff out of the way.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:12 PM

i did the same thing you did basically this weekend, except i installed the entire thing, and i even cleaned out my tb as well, it made the car much smoother, installed pics on my homepage <----
Old 02-04-2002, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by RedMax95
i did the same thing you did basically this weekend, except i installed the entire thing, and i even cleaned out my tb as well, it made the car much smoother, installed pics on my homepage <----

Yeah, I think cleaning out the TB really helped the car run smoother. I don't know if that cleaner mixture thing I pure into the gas tank made any difference. Hm...I got to find the name of that again. Suppose to clean up your car's internal.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:20 PM

Same setup as me. This might be a dumb question, but what does the stock resantor look like? I guess I don't have that on because other than the MAFS, no stock part.

Its that big black square box thats connected between the TB and MAF
Old 02-05-2002, 03:55 AM

From what everyone is saying the tb->Pr Tube->Maf->Filter is a good idea. I'm definitely gonna try it this weekend. Should I stick to my Pop Filter or use the one that came with the Cai? In theory, I should get more air with the JWT since it's more bigger?
Old 02-05-2002, 05:53 AM

Is this set up a the same thing as (or close to what) the FrankenCar intake will be?
Old 02-05-2002, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by Anachronism
Is this set up a the same thing as (or close to what) the FrankenCar intake will be?
I believe soo.. I think the Frankencar will be w/velocity stack or something..
Old 02-05-2002, 06:53 AM

I believe soo.. I think the Frankencar will be w/velocity stack or something..
I have read through about 1 million (give or take 500,000 ) intake posts, but I still don't know what a velocity stack is. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Old 02-05-2002, 08:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

From what everyone is saying the tb->Pr Tube->Maf->Filter is a good idea. I'm definitely gonna try it this weekend. Should I stick to my Pop Filter or use the one that came with the Cai? In theory, I should get more air with the JWT since it's more bigger?

yes, anyone??? can i use my CAI canister type filter, or do u have to switch to a velocity stack?
Old 02-05-2002, 09:48 AM

i use the filter that came with my pr cai. the filter itself cant
get any farther from the engine basicly hiding behind the battery.
i dunno about that franken-thingy, i'd just buy a complete pr cai and use it as a short ram. and if you want to switch to cai, its as easy as taking the 2nd pipe off. save ur money.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:12 AM

i use the filter that came with my pr cai. the filter itself cant
get any farther from the engine basicly hiding behind the battery.
i dunno about that franken-thingy, i'd just buy a complete pr cai and use it as a short ram. and if you want to switch to cai, its as easy as taking the 2nd pipe off. save ur money.
Exactly why I'm keeping the other piece of the PR tube, if I want to switch to CAI setup, I just put that tube in.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

pics with the CAI filter?
Old 02-05-2002, 01:27 PM

take ur 2nd pipe and attach your k&n to the adapter off the MAF. it takes about 2 minutes.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:37 PM

Anybody care to point me in the direction of instructions for cleaning tb?....please
Old 02-05-2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by jay_johnson
Anybody care to point me in the direction of instructions for cleaning tb?....please
http://www.motorvate.ca/

he has a how2 there.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:44 PM

thanks....

by the way, i have single pipe straight into filter on a 95 maxima, and am about to go back to cai because my air temp is running a little high
Old 02-05-2002, 05:50 PM

Btw, I left the temp meter thingy hanging on the side, it's zip tied. It's connected though. I just cover the hole up with a lot of electrical tape, making sure it's strong enough so it won't get suck in the tube. So sx7r was right, no problems here, no check engine light or anything. I did this because when I tried to align the meter up with the hole, I noticed it couldn't cover up the hole completely, it still left a very tiny little slit exposed. So, I said what the heck and just cover up the hole with electrical tape.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:31 PM

Btw, I left the temp meter thingy hanging on the side, it's zip tied. It's connected though. I just cover the hole up with a lot of electrical tape, making sure it's strong enough so it won't get suck in the tube. So sx7r was right, no problems here, no check engine light or anything. I did this because when I tried to align the meter up with the hole, I noticed it couldn't cover up the hole completely, it still left a very tiny little slit exposed. So, I said what the heck and just cover up the hole with electrical tape.
really? mine fit in there easily and snugly
Old 02-05-2002, 09:14 PM

I'm running that intake setup that was mentioned and I like it. It does seem a little bit louder than the CAI, probably because the sound is closer to the driver, but I like it alot. I've run just the pop charger, the full CAI and this and I like this best I think. The CAI has more low end, but this setup seems to pull a little bit harder when the speed and the RPMs go up, I'm not sure why. I recomend trying it if you can, especially during the winter months. Just my $.02
Old 02-06-2002, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by Anachronism

I have read through about 1 million (give or take 500,000 ) intake posts, but I still don't know what a velocity stack is. Anyone care to enlighten me?
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/aem_filter.html

Ok, the above isn't exactly what is used on our cars (Stillen or JWT MAF intake adapter) but the operating principle is the same.

Basically, a "velocity stack" refers to an adaptor which both smooths & accellerates airflow into either the carburator or the MAF/throttle-body (in EFI cars, like ours). It is the shape of the opening in this adapter that achieves the desired result. You'll notice in the pictures, the opening is fluted, or "widest" at the top, getting progressively smaller in diameter toward the bottom, where it meets the MAF/throttle body. This convex opening helps efficiently direct the airflow into the intake and in doing so, increases the velocity of that airflow over and above what it would be with a straight "tube" type MAF adapter.

The Stillen and JWT pop chargers come with a billet aluminum MAF adapter plate that shares the same design attributes as a velocity stack (for all the right reasons).

I hope this helps. . .