4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Turbocharging??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 05:56 PM

Turbocharging??????

I was wondering if you can turbo charge a maxima. I'm assuming you can, but I don't know what kind of turbo charger would be the best. I see a few on ebay for 250-500, and i'm guessing getting a gas station to install it will be about 300 dollars. Anyway, my question is.... "is their a certain turbo charger that works better with maximas then others"?

See right now I have a 1995 Maxima GXE and I want to bring the HP up to 225 and i'm guessing the turbo would be the best way. Any othe suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:02 PM

You should try to search, you'll see that it would cost more than $300 to install it, since you have to get custom parts and such.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:22 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Turbocharging??????

Originally posted by EN_Maxima
I see a few on ebay for 250-500
Not for a Maxima you don't

and i'm guessing getting a gas station to install it will be about 300 dollars.

See right now I have a 1995 Maxima GXE and I want to bring the HP up to 225 and i'm guessing the turbo would be the best way. Any othe suggestions will be appreciated.
Cold Air intake+Y-pipe+Catback and you got yourself about 225HP.

SEARCH! Turbo's are custom jobs that will run you thousands of dollars and lots of stress and your engine needing constant tuning !
Old 02-04-2002, 07:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Links?

I see a few on ebay for 250-500, and i'm guessing getting a gas station to install it will be about 300 dollars.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:52 PM

hmmmm, alright I guess it really isn't worth it. How much would the Y-pipe and cold air intake run me? I'd like to keep everything fairly inexpensive just cause i'm not into serious racing and my car does have 122k on it. Any other ideas for cheap things that will raise my HP? thanks

-Ian
Old 02-04-2002, 08:07 PM

unclemax.net
Old 02-04-2002, 08:09 PM

cold air intake $160
warpspeed performance y-pipe $299
beating a ferrari in a max: priceless
Old 02-04-2002, 11:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=96104
Old 02-04-2002, 11:53 PM
SLOW

Gas station turbo install for $300? Haha talk about Full Service... this thread is funny.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:16 AM

Me either, ive never seen a turbo for a maxima on ebay. IF your thinking about turbo for a max, just forget it and get an SC if your planning on spending that much money anywya. Take Care
Old 02-05-2002, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by vinny1978
cold air intake $160
warpspeed performance y-pipe $299
beating a ferrari in a max: priceless

lol...that Ferrari must be in park.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

lol...that Ferrari must be in park.

HAHA!!! Good one.

hehe.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was wondering if you can turbo charge a maxima. I'm assuming you can, but I don't know what kind of turbo charger would be the best. I see a few on ebay for 250-500, and i'm guessing getting a gas station to install it will be about 300 dollars. Anyway, my question is.... "is their a certain turbo charger that works better with maximas then others"?

This is so funny I'm crying.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:54 PM

i have read a thread a few weeks ago about some turbo kit coming out for the max.... i havent seen any followups though
Old 02-06-2002, 05:30 PM

Just in case any of you are interested there are brand new Garrett T3/T4 turbos at http://www.turbochargers.com for $450.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ROTFLMAO... WOW 300 for a turbo kit for the Max... and gimmi the name of the GAS STATION that puts that badboy on for ya... hehe no seriously now, I hope you are kidding about the gas station but o well enough about it. Heres the deal w/ turbo kits. The T3/T4 isnt made for a Max. its made for the freggin Honda and Eclipse crowd. You CAN out one on a Max, its just that the manifold is gonna kill ya. COmin up with a manifold design that will work for the MAx is gonna be difficult and thats where we run into problems with the turbos. THe T3/T4 is a great turbo but probably alittle big to go into the Max seeing as how we have limited space... therefore you do a smaller turbo to take up less room. This allows for the correct piping and so on to come from the manifold to the turbo, as well as from the intercooler to the turbo. On the other hand you can count on a 2.5-3" pipe coming off the opposite side of the intercooler running to your intake manifold (throttle body). for all these pipes to fit your gonna have to move stuff around, battery to the trunk etc. will need to be done. So for alot of HARD work, and TIME you can make a turbo kit work on this car. O yeah Money wouldnt hurt either... SO as you can see there arent any GAS STATIONS around to help ya here and as far as the T3/T4 goes, scrap it and go w/ something alittle smaller, that will be more realistic and spool quicker as well........
Old 02-06-2002, 06:06 PM

You can run a T3/T4. you just half to run it off half the engine. i.e. one turbo manifold.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by mtcookson
Just in case any of you are interested there are brand new Garrett T3/T4 turbos at http://www.turbochargers.com for $450.
I rather get this one http://www.turbochargers.com/current...04-S-600hp.htm
Old 02-06-2002, 08:18 PM

I didn't think of that. 150 more horse for $100 more. Sweet, thanks for pointing that out.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:38 PM

Must you remind us of this!
Old 02-06-2002, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by sett HEHE
ROTFLMAO... WOW 300 for a turbo kit for the Max... and gimmi the name of the GAS STATION that puts that badboy on for ya... hehe no seriously now, I hope you are kidding about the gas station but o well enough about it. Heres the deal w/ turbo kits. The T3/T4 isnt made for a Max. its made for the freggin Honda and Eclipse crowd. You CAN out one on a Max, its just that the manifold is gonna kill ya. COmin up with a manifold design that will work for the MAx is gonna be difficult and thats where we run into problems with the turbos. THe T3/T4 is a great turbo but probably alittle big to go into the Max seeing as how we have limited space... therefore you do a smaller turbo to take up less room. This allows for the correct piping and so on to come from the manifold to the turbo, as well as from the intercooler to the turbo. On the other hand you can count on a 2.5-3" pipe coming off the opposite side of the intercooler running to your intake manifold (throttle body). for all these pipes to fit your gonna have to move stuff around, battery to the trunk etc. will need to be done. So for alot of HARD work, and TIME you can make a turbo kit work on this car. O yeah Money wouldnt hurt either... SO as you can see there arent any GAS STATIONS around to help ya here and as far as the T3/T4 goes, scrap it and go w/ something alittle smaller, that will be more realistic and spool quicker as well........
Dude! With all due respect, I don't think you know what you are talking about! T3/T4 is NOT too big for our maxes, in fact in some people's opinion, it is too small. I think you are talking about physical size, well that MAY be true. But what is more important is the size of the turbo for performance. The larger the turbo (to a certain extent) the larger the capability for boost, but the greater the lag. Sure a small turbo spools up faster, but it will end up choking your exhaust system very quickly. I don't claim to be a big expert on the matter, but I will be putting on a TO4 on mine and Unclemax will put on a Garrett T-60 on his (even larger). Turbomax has a T3/4 and is very happy with the performance on his. You are right about there not being any gas stations that can do this ... that is 100% true!

I am not sure if either of the guys I mentioned have posted here. It would not surprise me if they didn't! What a joke!
Old 02-07-2002, 01:40 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

a t3/t4 being TOO BIG? no disrespect but i disagree. This became a popular turbo size because it offers good power overall and little lag. (not zero lag)
as far as lag, choose your a/r and trim wisely and lag is not much of a prob. IM using a T3/To4e and i get close to full boost around 3k rpm and 2psi at 2200rpms. would be even better if i ran a 3" exhaust system. This setup can flow more then i desire in terms of horsepower. dont think too much bout that straight To4 turbo. youll regret it for a street car. juss cause it can suppose 700 horse or watever doesnt mean its a better turbo. you could go with a small turbo but it might not flow enough for your liking.

by the way, you dont need a custom manifold done, juss a trick downpipe will do. Remember keep it as simple as possible.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:41 AM

I've had a turbo charged car for over 10 years. There is way too much involved in turbocharging a car that came from the factory with a "normally aspirated" motor. Just to give you an idea of what is cost; I recently had the motor redone in my Buick T-type. The turbo alone was $700. In your case you can add another $500 for custom bent tubing and hoses. Don't know what somebody would charge to modify your ECM to run with a turbo. I'm guessing $300. Then you have the cost of a wastegate and I wouldn't even think of turbocharging something without an intercooler another $500 to $1500 depending on size. This list goes on and on.

As 97ABMAX said, buy the Supercharger, it will be cheaper and easier to maintain.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Jim Sundin
I've had a turbo charged car for over 10 years. There is way too much involved in turbocharging a car that came from the factory with a "normally aspirated" motor. Just to give you an idea of what is cost; I recently had the motor redone in my Buick T-type. The turbo alone was $700. In your case you can add another $500 for custom bent tubing and hoses. Don't know what somebody would charge to modify your ECM to run with a turbo. I'm guessing $300. Then you have the cost of a wastegate and I wouldn't even think of turbocharging something without an intercooler another $500 to $1500 depending on size. This list goes on and on.

As 97ABMAX said, buy the Supercharger, it will be cheaper and easier to maintain.
Turbocharging a N/A car is not an atronomical feat, its done on older Z's (with the VG) all the time (check out Z31.com). Of course that engine also came from the factory with a turbo option whereas the VQ doesn't.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:21 PM

In Japan they make the VQ stock with a turbo. I'm not sure but i'm going to try find out if there is a way to get the piping and such shipped over here. That would be awesome.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by mtcookson
In Japan they make the VQ stock with a turbo. I'm not sure but i'm going to try find out if there is a way to get the piping and such shipped over here. That would be awesome.
Let me know what you find out would ya? It would be sweet to have a turbo max, i know i know.. i can have a supercharged max, but turbo sounds cooler, just say it outload "turbo, super" "turbo, super"
Old 02-07-2002, 05:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

W/ All due respect Nigelcmf... If you will be so kind to REREAD what I posted before, I do beleive I said the turbo would fit the Max. Therefore I didnt say it was TOO BIG. I stated that the turbo is not the best choice for the maxima. Read my post and you can plainly see what I was talking about. Post to me again if you understand this time As for the guy who said that you only use the front of the engine for the T3/T4 well... In order for that to work you would have to run Twins. You cant run only 1 turbo from the front set of exhaust and leave the rear as N/A. This is what I took your coment as. If you were speaking of twins then cool. TurboMax You HAVE TO HAVE a custom manifold made for the Maxima in 97. I am almost 150% positive that they were N/A. Therefore a Trick Downpipe will do nothing for you. Downpipes are after the turbo not before so you would have to have a turbo manifold made for the turbo to bolt up to, afterwards a trick downpipe would help take the exhaust from the turbo to the catback section of the exhaust. JIM SUNDIN... I think I am on your level of turbo knowledge. Maybe you can help me out with these guys. Im not trying to be an a-hole to anyone here. Just trying to help out with these who want a turbo on there cars. Myself being one of them. In fact I am coming along nicely on my own kit. Nothing will be said about it until complete. Later guys
Old 02-07-2002, 06:11 PM

TurboMax You HAVE TO HAVE a custom manifold made for the Maxima in 97.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:50 PM

W/ All due respect Nigelcmf... If you will be so kind to REREAD what I posted before, I do beleive I said the turbo would fit the Max. Therefore I didnt say it was TOO BIG. I stated that the turbo is not the best choice for the maxima. Read my post and you can plainly see what I was talking about. Post to me again if you understand this time As for the guy who said that you only use the front of the engine for the T3/T4 well... In order for that to work you would have to run Twins. You cant run only 1 turbo from the front set of exhaust and leave the rear as N/A. This is what I took your coment as. If you were speaking of twins then cool. TurboMax You HAVE TO HAVE a custom manifold made for the Maxima in 97. I am almost 150% positive that they were N/A. Therefore a Trick Downpipe will do nothing for you. Downpipes are after the turbo not before so you would have to have a turbo manifold made for the turbo to bolt up to, afterwards a trick downpipe would help take the exhaust from the turbo to the catback section of the exhaust. JIM SUNDIN... I think I am on your level of turbo knowledge. Maybe you can help me out with these guys. Im not trying to be an a-hole to anyone here. Just trying to help out with these who want a turbo on there cars. Myself being one of them. In fact I am coming along nicely on my own kit. Nothing will be said about it until complete. Later guys

Old 02-07-2002, 06:54 PM

Here, read your own quote

"...THe T3/T4 is a great turbo but probably alittle big to go into the Max seeing as how we have limited space..."

so I paraphrased a little....too big = a little big! As for downpipe stuff go to www.unclemax.net and learn something about turbocharging a max.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:44 PM

I was talking about twins.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:30 PM

Oh sweet lord, I cannot believe you posted that. All Maximas are N/A.
And you don't need a custom manifold. Here's what the turbo guys have been doing. Bolt a custom downpipe to the factory manifolds, and voila, mount your turbo there. Downpipe hooks up to the manifolds, then the turbo mounts there. Look at unclemax's pictures to see.

W/ TurboMax You HAVE TO HAVE a custom manifold made for the Maxima in 97. I am almost 150% positive that they were N/A. Therefore a Trick Downpipe will do nothing for you. Downpipes are after the turbo not before so you would have to have a turbo manifold made for the turbo to bolt up to, afterwards a trick downpipe would help take the exhaust from the turbo to the catback section of the exhaust.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Shadow
Oh sweet lord, I cannot believe you posted that. All Maximas are N/A.
And you don't need a custom manifold. Here's what the turbo guys have been doing. Bolt a custom downpipe to the factory manifolds, and voila, mount your turbo there. Downpipe hooks up to the manifolds, then the turbo mounts there. Look at unclemax's pictures to see.

Old 02-08-2002, 12:36 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

EH? last time i checked my engine bay i have NO turbo manifold, juss downpipe...
anyways, no flame here but id be willing to wager a friendly amount...say $20? $100? that says you dont need a turbo manifold, downpipe will do fine. I dont want to sound like an A hole either, but since you know your turbo stuff...shouldnt you know about the downpipe and manifold thing already?
Old 02-08-2002, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max

anyways, no flame here but id be willing to wager a friendly amount...say $20? $100? that says you dont need a turbo manifold, downpipe will do fine.
i'd like to get in on this.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max

EH? last time i checked my engine bay i have NO turbo manifold, juss downpipe...
anyways, no flame here but id be willing to wager a friendly amount...say $20? $100? that says you dont need a turbo manifold, downpipe will do fine. I dont want to sound like an A hole either, but since you know your turbo stuff...shouldnt you know about the downpipe and manifold thing already?

"...no flame here but id be willing to wager a friendly.."

Hehehe! Turbomax, sometimes you are way to friendly. No flame? c'mon I think most people know you know your stuff round here ... go ahead have a little flame! even a little spark would be nice!