4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuel Injector servicing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:19 PM

Fuel Injector servicing

I decided to add in injector servicing on my current list of coming maintenance to-have-done tasks, while I have my new clutch work done (O2 sensors, rear main seal and oil pan gaskets being on the list as well). I picked up a "remanufactured" set of JECS injectors off eBay which looked pretty clean when they showed up (new O-rings and caps) at a good price of around $60. Didn't really trust the quality of an eBay unknown so drove down to RC Injectors (formerly called RC Engineering I think) over the weekend to have them balanced and blueprinted (fair priced at around $28 per injector). I had them send them back to me via mail with a one-day turn around period. Glad I had them serviced before having them installed...

LEFT = Before / RIGHT = After

I believe RC still does custom enlargement/boring of throttle-bodies at a $200-300 price range. I picked up a used throttle body off eBay for under $30 so I will be looking into that soon.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:22 PM
JvG

I sent my original injectors to Injector RX in Houston for rebuilding, flow testing, and balancing. They did an excellent job. They charge 18.00 per injector.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:02 AM

I was referred to InjectorRX by this site. As it turns out, a family member's spit brother has worked as a mechanic at EngineLogics (sister enterprises, both under one roof) "forever". I personally delivered my injectors just because I wanted to say hello to this mechanic, whom I also know socially...

I highly recommend InjectorRX in Sugarland, TX...skip that $10 / injector California Tax.

(no seriously California I'm a big fan - taxes are too low in TX and everything is coming off the rails as a result...but SHIP your stuff to TX (don't live here - stay in California) and its a win-win for everybody)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:41 AM

Reallywildstuff your comments made me laugh. I am going nuts over the fruitcakes in this state of Californication. When I retire, I am out of here. All the conservative people are leaving, which is leaving things nuttier than ever. I am looking at TX or NV. When I get injector work, it is coming your way.

Last edited by PH98I30; 04-24-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:50 PM

Just a follow up... Finally had a chance to get the balanced injectors installed over the weekend (combined it with clutch work and RMS I had to get done). My 140k mi factory injectors taken out looked like the below... Four with broken pintle caps, and the two other compete ones showing visible cracks on them. Car didn't run too bad with them in this condition, but idle did sometimes get rough after sitting for a short duration.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:26 PM
JvG

Zerodrag, please let us know which performance differences you notice when the car is back in service.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:13 PM

No difference so far that I can tell. I forgot to mention I replaced all three O2 sensors during the service work. I am still in the break-in period for the clutch so no hard driving for a while. I do still have that occasional weird drop in idle when idling at a stoplight at times. Might be due to voltage drop from radiator fans kicking on maybe?
Old 11-18-2019, 04:53 PM

Glad everything worked out. As a side note, a guy who owns an injector cleaning service gave me a tip about leaving injectors to sit on the shelf for too long. He said it's not good to let injectors sit around after cleaning unless the cleaning company used a preservative that keeps the internal parts moving freely. I've got some injectors that have been sitting for 4 to 5 years. I would need to get those tested before even thinking about using them.

Meanwhile at my Toyota car club, we have discovered there are hundreds and thousands of counterfeit injectors from China being sold as new OEM. Counterfeits are easy to spot on those injectors. Though, its really a mess a a lot of people have been burned.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:47 PM
JvG

The drop in idle speed could indeed be related to the fans. I take it that you live some place warm enough that the fans would turn on?

Do you have an auto or 5 speed.

What is your idle rpm, and what does it drop down to?
Old 11-18-2019, 08:41 PM

Ya, it's been warm in SoCA so the fan does cycle. S/C'ed manual trans with idle at around 700rpm or so. Only drops a little at times during long periods of idling, but enough where the car feels like a mild misfire is occurring. It's been doing that since I've owned the car so I always assumed it was normal.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:07 PM
JvG

Zerodrag, I also have the 5 speed. Mine acts the same way. It has since I bought it almost 14 years ago. You could always increase the idle speed slightly if the slight miss bothers you.

I used to have wheezy engines due to worn rings many years ago. Like in the 1970s. They would stall at traffic lights at factory spec idle speeds. They wouldn't at a slightly higher speed.