4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

one last try to get maxy running

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 08:45 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by The Wizard
$12 when Amazon has lightning deals....that's how I got mine.
Yup, that's the one I'm talking about.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
If it helps I bought the Beck Arnley one and it came in a Nissan box inside the Beck Arnley box ( you can see the photo on Rockauto shows the Nissan logo molded into the part)
and here it is if anyone's doubting what dizzy is saying. came in a beck arnley box with a new nissan box and branded nissan part inside, sealed and new.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:55 AM
JvG

Best of luck.

Hope it works.

Have you bought the scanner I talked about?
Old 05-19-2019, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
Best of luck.

Hope it works.

Have you bought the scanner I talked about?
if you recall jvg, the seller said it will not work on my 95. i think it probably will, been thinking about a surgery i have tomorrow, nothing serious but it's still surgery.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:36 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by max ride 41
if you recall jvg, the seller said it will not work on my 95. i think it probably will, been thinking about a surgery i have tomorrow, nothing serious but it's still surgery.
There might be some confusion.

The federal regulation required all cars to have obd2
by 1996.

The 95 maxima got obd2 from the beginning.

Most other cars were still OBD -1 in 1995.

So I'm almost sure it would work.

Perhaps another member knows the answer to this.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
There might be some confusion.

The federal regulation required all cars to have obd2
by 1996.

The 95 maxima got obd2 from the beginning.

Most other cars were still OBD -1 in 1995.

So I'm almost sure it would work.

Perhaps another member knows the answer to this.
you know, your probably right. my current scanner works and its ob2 that i got from amazon. i can't see why this wouldn't work. i'm going to take a chance and get one.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:03 AM
Administrator

you know, your probably right. my current scanner works and its ob2 that i got from amazon. i can't see why this wouldn't work. i'm going to take a chance and get one.
The scanner/code reader will work.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:21 PM
Banned

OK, you got that new TPS sensor in 2 days ago.. we're all waiting to see if it fixes the problem. It only takes like 5 minutes to install and adjust.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by chop_sooie
OK, you got that new TPS sensor in 2 days ago.. we're all waiting to see if it fixes the problem. It only takes like 5 minutes to install and adjust.

ok rookie, there's a little more to it than that. plus, i have stitches in my chest and arm, can't bend over and mess with the car. plus it was 88 degrees today.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:42 PM

Good luck getting the OEM TPS phillips head brass bolts removed.

Replace them with hex head steel bolts.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by jholley
Good luck getting the OEM TPS phillips head brass bolts removed.

Replace them with hex head steel bolts.
Or at least get a JIS #2 Philips while you recuperate.
Amazon Amazon

Vessel also makes shorter lengths in case this is too long. JIS offers a MUCH better grip on our Japanese cars.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Or at least get a JIS #2 Philips while you recuperate. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TG8OTY..._t2_B007R13P7A

Vessel also makes shorter lengths in case this is too long. JIS offers a MUCH better grip on our Japanese cars.
amazons version has the teeth built in where as i was told the old vessel screwdrivers did not. that is an updated version that i believe will rip apart the screw heads. someone know the part number for those screws?? thanks
btw, started up maxy last night and she smoked a tad and drove her around the block and she drove fine. no hesitation or bucking or stalling, i do believe she's a temperamental lady, so i gave her a bath and spray waxed her and cleaned the windows as a reward.

Last edited by max ride 41; 05-21-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:54 PM

In another word's your car is fixed.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
In another word's your car is fixed.
if only man, if only it was that easy. still have to put the tps on yet, and, as i was looking at it the top piece that says jecs almost looks like they took it off an oem tps and glued it on an aftermarket sensor. but rock auto wouldn't allow that kinda crap, unless they didn't know? or, do all of them look like that? probably just me being paranoid.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:37 PM

so, what app works with this scanner? i got the bafx scan tool and have only tried torque light which is generic at best. someone know the best way to set this up on android and what app works best for it? thanks
Old 05-25-2019, 10:15 PM

so, tried a new guy yesterday, first thing that happened is the c/e light came on right as i pulled into his garage. pulled code p0443, evap purge valve. so, he checked injectors by spraying carb cleaner over the top of the motor and the front row was acting weird so he unplugged each one and the middle one was def not working properly so, went and got an injector and took one of my old coils that i replaced and swapped it onto cylinder 4 and walla!!! idling right, no backfire, and drove down the road nicely. went and got some seafoam and dumped it into the g-tank as that gas has been sitting for awhile. what needs to be replaced typically when that code pops up? cannister box, purge valve under hood? at least she ran right no stalling under load and cruised down the road normally again. 1 f'ing injector, really?
Old 05-26-2019, 09:55 AM
JvG

Well, seems like it was fixed by replacing an injector and a coil.

Just like we all said.

Regarding the BAFX.

Find the settings part, choose the dails.

Just work with it a bit.

I prefer the simple stuff it comes with.

Sufficient for my needs.

Downloads are available in case you want way too much information .
Old 05-26-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
Well, seems like it was fixed by replacing an injector and a coil.

Just like we all said.

Regarding the BAFX.

Find the settings part, choose the dails.

Just work with it a bit.

I prefer the simple stuff it comes with.

Sufficient for my needs.

Downloads are available in case you want way too much information .
no, you guys wanted me to yank all the injectors, test them, replace o-rings, when i said all but 2 were new. i'm assuming the purge issue can be ignored for awhile as it doesn't seem to affect throttle for now.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:16 AM
JvG

So how much time, money, and grief did you go through by ignoring the reccommendations many of us made? How difficult would it have been to test the coils and injectors on the front side?

If it was coil or injectors, you had a 50 percent chance of a simple repair. Granted, the rear ones would have been more difficult.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Glad you got the issue resolved. If the other code is charcoal canister related, that will be a relatively cheap part to replace if needed. I replaced mine a few months back. Either way, time to enjoy driving that car again!
Old 05-26-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Glad you got the issue resolved. If the other code is charcoal canister related, that will be a relatively cheap part to replace if needed. I replaced mine a few months back. Either way, time to enjoy driving that car again!
jvg, nothing was ignored, i replaced 4 out of 6 injectors and unplugged and sprayed the other 2 several times and nothing happened till yesterday. quite literally it acted up the same time as the code for the purge valve popped up. so, it might have been failing and just died yesterday.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
so, where did you get the parts and how much? labor? cannister and purge valve number's? this the right one? https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/19...l#immersedview

Last edited by max ride 41; 05-26-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:10 PM

so, where did you get the parts and how much? labor? cannister and purge valve number's? this the right one? https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/19...l#immersedview
I got mine from CourtesyNissan, I believe. It was under $50, and is the type that is located at the back side of the vehicle, on the driver side. I recall reading that there were two versions of the canister depending on vehicle. If your vehicle uses the same one as mine, it should be fairly easy to change. I didn't do the labor myself, but I am going by the location and access to the part on the vehicle.

Mine was the square version from this link...
https://www.courtesyparts.com/oem-pa...MtMGwtdjYtZ2Fz

Last edited by Zerodrag; 05-26-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:36 PM

It's good to hear that she is up and running again. I know it was either the injectors or coils. It can finally be driven again pain free.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
It's good to hear that she is up and running again. I know it was either the injectors or coils. It can finally be driven again pain free.
well, she is running again, but still needs work. she sat for over a year and developed some leaks and needs some brake work etc., otherwise she does want to get up and go again. was pushing her last night to see if she still has that nissan powa!!! she still moves pretty damn good, i know something else is going to need attention soon, that's ok, i'll fix her. pics to come of my happy max!!
Old 05-26-2019, 06:09 PM
JvG

I'm happy for you.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I've had emissions in the past which occurred soon before state emissions inspection.

I chased my tail, but got nowhere. codes said bad solenoid . Solenoid were good, as were the ones from the wrecking yard. I looked everywhere. Could not solve the problem. Could not drive car legally either.
I had another vehicle I could drive, so the maxima sat on the driveway all winter in Portland.

So I started looking at everything I had done recently. I looked under teen throttle body. I had replaced all my vacuum hoses while reinstalling the uim after the injection repairs.

I noticed that the middle hose under the tb was kinked. I had cut the bulk hose a bit short.
So I replaced that hose with a slightly longer one.

No more kink. No more codes. I felt happy, and could register my car again.

My rear brakes needed total replacement, after rusting all winter in the Pacific Northwet.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
I'm happy for you.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I've had emissions in the past which occurred soon before state emissions inspection.

I chased my tail, but got nowhere. codes said bad solenoid . Solenoid were good, as were the ones from the wrecking yard. I looked everywhere. Could not solve the problem. Could not drive car legally either.
I had another vehicle I could drive, so the maxima sat on the driveway all winter in Portland.

So I started looking at everything I had done recently. I looked under teen throttle body. I had replaced all my vacuum hoses while reinstalling the uim after the injection repairs.

I noticed that the middle hose under the tb was kinked. I had cut the bulk hose a bit short.
So I replaced that hose with a slightly longer one.

No more kink. No more codes. I felt happy, and could register my car again.

My rear brakes needed total replacement, after rusting all winter in the Pacific Northwet.
is the northwet near a body of water somewhere?? but seriously, i do thank you and everyone in the org for all the suggestions and help steering me in the right direction, even if that direction was sometimes a little misguided. you gotta get a little lost before you find your way sometimes.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:11 PM
Banned

no, you guys wanted me to yank all the injectors, test them, replace o-rings, when i said all but 2 were new. i'm assuming the purge issue can be ignored for awhile as it doesn't seem to affect throttle for now.

Here is exactly what I said:

It's your injectors. It is entirely possible for them to run just fine with engine cold, but as engine warms up they seize up. Bad injectors may or MAY NOT cause a misfire (a misfire is far more likely to occur with a bad coil pack.)
This video I watched a few days ago is the EXACT same issue you're having (albeit a totally different car.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbdjn_uP85A

The whole video is almost an hour, you can watch it if you want--but the jist of it is dude had a corvette that would run pretty well when cold but then start to buck and stall the longer it was driven, until it was stall and not start back up.
If you just want to watch the crux of the diagnosis/ problem solve, start at about 23 minute mark and watch for about 10-12 minutes. But it sounds exactly like the issue you are having.

Good luck
I said "IT'S YOUR INJECTORS." Then I posted an explanation why and a video showing proof.

You chose to argue, and you were wrong. Deal with it.

Last edited by chop_sooie; 05-27-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:27 PM

Here is exactly what I said:

I said "IT'S YOUR INJECTORS." Then I posted an explanation why and a video showing proof.

You chose to argue, and you were wrong. Deal with it.
you know nothing of what i have done to the car except what i have posted. you weren't right, cause 1 injector and 1 coil didn't completely fix the issue as i was cruisin home tonight and lit up the throttle and i got some hesitation going down hill, twice. so, i did check the injectors, unplugged them, sprayed carbon cleaner along the front and back, and the code p0443 just popped up saturday as well. to say you know the injectors were the only problem is ridiculous.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:39 PM

so, here's the issue still guys, i can't punch it for very long ( like on a highway ) and keep a consistent speed w/o it bucking still. didn't stall tonight, but i thought it might. will the cannister cause this issue or what, i thought i had this mostly licked but apparently there's still something going on, damnit.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 PM

I'm out. Best of luck!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:03 PM
Banned

you know nothing of what i have done to the car except what i have posted. you weren't right, cause 1 injector and 1 coil didn't completely fix the issue as i was cruisin home tonight and lit up the throttle and i got some hesitation going down hill, twice. so, i did check the injectors, unplugged them, sprayed carbon cleaner along the front and back, and the code p0443 just popped up saturday as well. to say you know the injectors were the only problem is ridiculous.
YOU'RE the one who said in your post above your new mechanic replaced an injector and no more problems. You sure do have a crazy way of coming back after the fact spinning things to serve yourelf. Just like before when we told you it was your injectors and you FLAT DISMISSED IT because they were new, not because we insisted you check every single one of them just to make you jump through a bunch of hoops. Yeah, it's OUR fault for telling you what the problem was and you not doing your due diligence.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:14 AM

YOU'RE the one who said in your post above your new mechanic replaced an injector and no more problems. You sure do have a crazy way of coming back after the fact spinning things to serve yourelf. Just like before when we told you it was your injectors and you FLAT DISMISSED IT because they were new, not because we insisted you check every single one of them just to make you jump through a bunch of hoops. Yeah, it's OUR fault for telling you what the problem was and you not doing your due diligence.
i'm not getting into this with a new member, i never said that it was running perfect, just that some symptoms disappeared and that's seems to be running normally again. it would be a miracle if that's all it took, especially after sitting for so long and no codes popping up until saturday.i did the back 3 injectors together and 1 of the front ones recently. the 2 other injectors were checked and tested with no issues which made me look at other possibilities like the tps, and the fuel pump. the injector that was replaced was not an issue until recently, it didn't throw a code nor was it running improperly. it was just a little older and was probably slowly failing. the rest seem to be running fine, i bought a new scanner to try and see what the fuel trim is and see if there was any vacuum leaks possibly causing any other issues. could the last injector be slowly failing and causing an issue? possibly, i will check it again to see, otherwise i believe it's possibly the cannister or evap purge valve stuck open causing an issue. the car is 24 years old, nothing would surprise me.

Last edited by max ride 41; 05-28-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:08 AM

did you ever get a chance to swap in the new tps? Not saying that is the solution, but curious as to see if it would resolve the issue.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:09 AM
JvG

Please plug in the BAFX. put it in dial mode.

look up the short term fuel trim. the number you see should read close to zero.Tell us what the reading is.

I can walk you through this through private message if you like.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:43 AM

If the evap code is on and the little sensor causing problems change it. I had the same exact code and the car was acting up as you are describing. The other thing here is the car would not fully extent to it's potential with this code also this was also noted with the p0443 code
Old 05-28-2019, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JvG
Please plug in the BAFX. put it in dial mode.

look up the short term fuel trim. the number you see should read close to zero.Tell us what the reading is.

I can walk you through this through private message if you like.
He won't. He's too busy thinking up his next excuse.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:03 AM
JvG

He won't. He's too busy thinking up his next excuse.
I'm going to guess that he still has a leaking injector. The fuel trim might be negative. The ecu might lean out the mixture to compensate. That lean mix might cause engine stumble.

So if he would play with the scanner, report what it reads, we would be able to help.

But yes, Chop suee, thats what I expect as well.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:40 PM

so got the max inspected yesterday and i only drove her 2000 miles since last inspection so no emissions needed!! so, new stickers and maxy handled great yesterday. gotta take care of the evap issue and she should be good for another 10 years!! edit: so, was driving max to work on thursday and smoke started spewing out from under the hood. popped the hood and saw anti-freeze dripping onto the exhaust manifold, so, took her home and switched cars. from reasonable deduction and after talking to jvg we deduced it was one of the coolant lines going to throttle body ( i hope ) and i'm going to take a look at maxy this morning and see if one of the lines is the culprit, wish me luck!!

Last edited by max ride 41; 06-02-2019 at 05:49 AM.