1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Fuel Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 10:44 PM

Fuel Problems

Ok here is the deal, I know there is fuel coming out of the fuel filter, so I know the fuel pump is working. The car wont turn over at all. I know its a fuel problem becuase I have gotten the car to start on ether, the starting fluid junk, but it doesnt last long, (ether runs out). So my question is, what can affect the fuel flow now, I have a list of 2 things, and I want to know if there could be something else.

Its an 1986 Nissan Maxima SE, 5 Speed Manual

The Pressure Regulator, this is right after the fuel filter kind of I checked the fuel line before the pressure regulator.

The fuel injection heads. It could be they are not spraying any fuel in the engine.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can check each othe these or any thing else that can have the car not get any fuel in the engine? Thanks for the help.

PS: I replaced the fuel filter on the thing last night, still doesnt run.

Thanks

Brian
Old 07-22-2002, 11:45 PM
Charles Bisel

Hey, I got your IM's, sorry I haven't been able to respond but I haven't been at my computer that much.

As for the fuel pressure regulator, that's connected to the fuel return side of the fuel injection rail. The way it works is that the fuel pump sends more fuel than the engine needs. The regulator uses the intake manifold pressure to determine how much fuel should be injected. The unneeded fuel is then sent back to the fuel tank. Now, if your regulator is bad, the engine should be flooded with too much fuel, which could certainly explain why your car cannot start, as the car needs the right air/fuel mixture in order to detonate.

Now, I'm not exactly sure how to test whether or not the regulator is good, for that you'll have to consult a mechanic. But that's really the only thing I can come up with. Even if some of your injectors were bad, you should at least be able to start the car, though it would run like sh*t.

Good luck

-C-

Old 07-23-2002, 02:37 PM

The regulator in our cars is of a simple diaphram type. When they go out, you can disconnect that small vaccuum hose on the top, and when accelerating, if the reg is bad, gas will leak out, anywhere from a drip or two, all the way to a jet of gas erupting from the nipple.

This information comes from z31.com.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:47 PM

Thanks

Ok I have been working on it, and I have narrowed it down to that the injectors arent firing fuel into the engine I think. I am thinking that its the computer, must of got screwed up when the cable came off for the power on my battery. So now I am debating on how I am going to check it, I dont think there is anyone around the seattle area with an 85-87 maxima I could borrow their ecu from for like 1 minute to see if the car starts at all.

When I checked the error codes of the ecu, it spat out all of them except crank angle sensor, and fuel pump. So its been wierd. Well anyone have any ideas on how i can check my ecu? Thanks for the help.

Brian
Old 08-03-2002, 02:00 AM

Not the ECU

I bought a new ECU and the car still is messed up, I have some serious electrical problem.

Well I have a electrical short somewhere in my car, and the thermostat for water temp is going spaz. It just stays all the way up on high as it can go when the car is off. There is something pulling a good amount of current on my battery, brought it down to 5 volts in like 7 days. I found which wire off the battery but I cant figure out how to stop it, I pulled every relay, fuse, or fuseible link I could find, still didnt stop it. So I have to fix that now, and I am getting very frustrated.

What I do know is there is fuel getting to the engine. My car runs off ether (starting fluid) so its a fuel problem. I think the injectors arent shooting fuel in the engine, the injectors are all fine, even if one or 2 went out the engine would still start. I had the injectors replaced in like 1997 on the injector recall, maybe it was 1995, so I know they are good.

I tested the voltage of the injectors wiring harness, it registers 12 volts when you bring it to ground on both of them, is this normal?

Thanks for the help.

Brian
Old 08-03-2002, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Not the ECU

Originally posted by 86MaximaSE
I bought a new ECU and the car still is messed up, I have some serious electrical problem.

Well I have a electrical short somewhere in my car, and the thermostat for water temp is going spaz. It just stays all the way up on high as it can go when the car is off. There is something pulling a good amount of current on my battery, brought it down to 5 volts in like 7 days. I found which wire off the battery but I cant figure out how to stop it, I pulled every relay, fuse, or fuseible link I could find, still didnt stop it. So I have to fix that now, and I am getting very frustrated.

What I do know is there is fuel getting to the engine. My car runs off ether (starting fluid) so its a fuel problem. I think the injectors arent shooting fuel in the engine, the injectors are all fine, even if one or 2 went out the engine would still start. I had the injectors replaced in like 1997 on the injector recall, maybe it was 1995, so I know they are good.

I tested the voltage of the injectors wiring harness, it registers 12 volts when you bring it to ground on both of them, is this normal?

Thanks for the help.

Brian

When testing the resistance it should read 1.5 ohms on each injector
Old 08-03-2002, 11:34 AM

Re: Re: Not the ECU

Actually it should be between 12-16 ohms for the injector resistance.

Originally posted by max88q

When testing the resistance it should read 1.5 ohms on each injector
Old 08-03-2002, 03:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Not the ECU

Originally posted by Nismo87SE

thats not what it said in the Haynes Manual. It said 3 ohms for 1985-86 models 87-88 should be 1.5 and 89 models should be 10 . I just read it form the book. My bad! Was too lazy to search the FSM.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:35 PM

ohms, injectors...bah!

there's this thing they used to use called a carbeuretor oh, never mind.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:31 PM

Re: Not the ECU

Thanks for the help.

Brian

I also have an 86se 5sp, 115k miles, now needing a lot of work, I just have to get organized and start working on it. Sounds like you got big problems.

I have the FSM and it said to disconnect the ECU and with the ignition off, you then check for 12 volts on the harness connector. Is that the way you checked it? You should get 12v on one pin and not both. No feedback from the ECU to the other connector pin! As for the injectors, it's 3 ohms for the 86, I don't think you have a problem with them.

Since you have a electrical short somewhere, focus your time on finding the short. You already removed relays, fuses, etc... but no luck, try taking the connector off of the alternator and see if that might be the problem, I once got a rebuild alternator that was bad, the car would not even turn over after I installed it.

Your water temp gauge reading off the scale ? There is a voltage regulator somewhere just for the water temp and oil pressure gauge, VR could be bad, you can start by checking the Cylinder head temp. sensor for 2.1-2.9k ohms @ 68 degree F.

Get the FSM if you don't have one, you really need to look at the wiring diagrams.

Good Luck, AL
Old 08-05-2002, 08:46 PM

The fuel injector connect

I took off the fuel injector head today, and there was 12 volts on each of the pins. So now I know why my car wont start, the fuel injectors arent firing I think. But I dont know how to fix it from here. I will look in my manual real hard tonight but I dont know where to start to fix the problem or start to find a way to fix it. I hope you guys can lead me in the right direction. T

he harness and the injectors were reading about 2.5 ohms. So that should be normal.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Not the ECU

Originally posted by Nismo87SE

Look here 86 max its suppose to be 12 volts
Old 08-06-2002, 09:30 AM

Re: The fuel injector connect

I took off the fuel injector head today, and there was 12 volts on each of the pins. So now I know why my car wont start, the fuel injectors arent firing I think. But I dont know how to fix it from here. I will look in my manual real hard tonight but I dont know where to start to fix the problem or start to find a way to fix it. I hope you guys can lead me in the right direction. T

he harness and the injectors were reading about 2.5 ohms. So that should be normal.

Thanks for the help.
Are you saying you have the ECU 15 pin connector disconnected, and you are measuring 12 volts on both pins of the injector harness? If that is the case then you have a short in that harness. If you have the Factory Service Manual look at pages EF & EC-60 and 61, do the test again then check the harness out.

Al
Old 08-06-2002, 06:15 PM

The harness is fine

I unplugged the 15 pin pluf from the ECU, and now only there is voltage in one of the pins. So I know the fuel injection harness is still good. Is there a starter message or something like that, that tells the ecu to fire the fuel. Also is it possible that the Pressure regulator can be clogged.

The error codes I am getting

Code 21
(2 red flashes, 1 green flash) Ignition signal

Idle Control, and one other, I cant remeber.

So I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas why my car wont start. Thanks for the help.

Brian