4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1999 Maxima P1168

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 11:27 AM

1999 Maxima P1168

hey!

which 02 sensor does a p1168 indicate?

thank you!
Old 06-13-2020, 04:00 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by ilyaa
hey!

which 02 sensor does a p1168 indicate?

thank you!

Use your phone and figure it out for yourself.

That's how us more knowledgable members do it .

Old 06-13-2020, 04:55 PM

i thought more knowledgeable members were supposed to help less knowledgeable members when they had a hard time figuring something out...??

its a cali spec 1999 - and im having a hard time sifting through internet pictures because of contradictory info - some help would be appreciated!
Old 06-13-2020, 05:25 PM
JvG

i thought more knowledgeable members were supposed to help less knowledgeable members when they had a hard time figuring something out...??

its a cali spec 1999 - and im having a hard time sifting through internet pictures because of contradictory info - some help would be appreciated!

We don't have to help any one.

here is a hint.

199x Maxima XXXX code.

fill in the boxes and Google it.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:22 PM

Sensor 1 Bank 2

https://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/maxim...r_location.php
Old 06-14-2020, 12:54 AM

thank you!

thats what i thought - trying to figure out a strange situation.

i replaced that 02 sensor sometime last year (sensor 1 bank 2) -

little while ago i get a P1074 code - thoughtd id check for vacuum leaks and clean the air filter first - didnt spot any obvious leaks - cleaned the air filter popped it back in and reset codes

after a bit of driving i get p0174 AND p1168 - thought id clean MAF sensor - got some cleaner and did that - reset odes

after a bit of driving just p1168 -

the thing is that o2 sensor is less than a year old - suspect MAF sensor??

thanks for your help!
Old 06-14-2020, 09:56 AM
JvG

You are throwing code numbers around while not telling us what the code numbers refer to.

I don't know code numbers by heart or memory.
I have to look them up. Just like you do, or should.

Certain engine issues come up again and again.
Experienced members know what causes them.
We need codes to confirm our diagnosis.
​​​​​​
Many of us come from an earlier time when codes did not exist. Or computers either. We know our stuff well.

You speak codes and lingo. Yet you don't tell us much about symtoms.

Let's take a step back so we can help you.

Start with the basics. What problem are you having with your car now. What have you tried. Please use part names and codes together. Like in the same sentence.

You have had previous issues. You replaced parts.
Which ones and why.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:00 AM
JvG

I have replaced the oxy sensors and had the codes come back. I finally figured out that corrosion or tarnish on the oxy sensor fuse caused the issue.
I replaced the fuse with a new one. No more issue.
the old fuse was not blown.
​​​​​​
Old 06-14-2020, 10:15 AM

yes, absolutely, step back - thanks for your patience!

the main issue is that there have been no issues! just the CEL.

that's why im kind of shooting in the dark here - i will say every so often theres a little 'hiccup' while idling and occasionally the car is rough-ish (but not very rough) to start, but it runs fine/accelerates fine/gas consumption seems normal.

will try cleaning fuses!
Old 06-14-2020, 11:19 AM
JvG

yes, absolutely, step back - thanks for your patience!

the main issue is that there have been no issues! just the CEL.

that's why im kind of shooting in the dark here - i will say every so often theres a little 'hiccup' while idling and occasionally the car is rough-ish (but not very rough) to start, but it runs fine/accelerates fine/gas consumption seems normal.

will try cleaning fuses!
Does the car start normally almost all the time.

Or is it difficult to start at times. Like after its been parked over night , or for an hour or more. Also does the exhaust smell like gas.

These questions are related to one of the problems you mention. The rough starts and hickups.

Oxy sensors don't cause that. But leaking fuel injectors might. They will not set a code.

We try to identify the cause of an issue. This avoids buying all kinds of expensive parts based on guess work. The MAF for example. Also known as firing the parts cannon.

You might just drive the car a while. Report the code and what the code is about. Tell us what symptoms you are experiencing. Sometimes issues become more obvious with time. They will also set a code.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:07 PM

sounds good!

will report back later this week! thank you!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:15 AM

okay been driving it - there are no discernible issues while driving - maybe the MPG is a bit low, but this car has never been 'great' on gas -

the main recurring symptom is that every so often, usually after sitting overnight or a couple of days, it starts a little bit rough - sometimes i have to crank it twice to start it - it will get going and then crap out or sometimes crank, sound like its not gonna make it, and then turn over. and then other times, like this morning, it starts just fine.

i checked the codes again and ive got an 1168 code and a p0150 - both refer to bank 2 sensor 1, which, like i said earlier, i replaced less than a year ago -

recommend checking it? replacing it again? any other things to look at?

thank you!!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:43 AM
JvG

okay been driving it - there are no discernible issues while driving - maybe the MPG is a bit low, but this car has never been 'great' on gas -

the main recurring symptom is that every so often, usually after sitting overnight or a couple of days, it starts a little bit rough - sometimes i have to crank it twice to start it - it will get going and then crap out or sometimes crank, sound like its not gonna make it, and then turn over. and then other times, like this morning, it starts just fine.

i checked the codes again and ive got an 1168 code and a p0150 - both refer to bank 2 sensor 1, which, like i said earlier, i replaced less than a year ago -

recommend checking it? replacing it again? any other things to look at?

thank you!!

I've had the oxy sensor issue you mentioned.
I finally solved it when I replaced the fuse. It was old and had oxidation on its contacts. Oxidation
increases electrical resstance and can set a code.

what kind of fuel milage do you get on a long trip. Hoe fast do you drive. Our cars get over 30 MPG when everything works properly. I've gotten as high as 33-35 MPG at 70 with the ac on. But I got 27 when I had cel on and oxy sensor codes. The cause was that fuse.

I'm also suspect leaking injectors. Due to your starting issue. The problem might get worse before the true cause is obvious.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:06 PM

Here is a guide for which O2 sensor causes which code. I have encountered missing codes, but overall it is good.

Also, the diagram references wire colors. Since this guide is for a 5th gen, the wire colors may not match your 99.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:12 PM

Unfortunately, that 2000 Cali Maxima picture distorts the reality at Bank 2 on a 1999. There is a Pre-Cat between sensor 1 and sensor 2.

Why does this matter? Cause when one goes at the age of our cars, the rest are not far behind. Use NTK brand. They are the manufacturers for OEM Nissan at a fraction of the cost. Use SparkAutoParts on ebay to buy them delivered cheap. A little over $100 delivered for all four NEW. The readings from the combined four are what tells the ECU to mix the gas and air. Your car will run better with tighter output parameters.

Just do all four and be done with it and NTK ONLY!

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Here is a guide for which O2 sensor causes which code. I have encountered missing codes, but overall it is good.

Also, the diagram references wire colors. Since this guide is for a 5th gen, the wire colors may not match your 99.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:22 AM

thanks, guys!

like i said, ive replaced the o2 sensor in question in nov. 2019 - (sensor 1 bank 2)

i tried replacing the fuse and CEL light still came back on -

possible that new o2 sensor failed already?