4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

another idle reset question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 02:11 PM

another idle reset question

I posted a question about resetting the idle because of the vibration with the Place Racing engine mounts. I was directed to an older thread which was marginally helpful. Here are the problems I encountered: 1) Unplugging the TPS (throttle position sensor) - the advice online was to unplug the "black plug". My Chilton's manual only shows a picture from a VE30DE engine, not the VQ, and that picture shows one plug. There are two on my '97, and one is gray, the other brown. In other words, neither is black. I decided gray is closer, so I unplugged that. Well, later I went to the dealer for a part I'd ordered (speedo ring gear for the Quaife differential) and I got them to pull out their manual. Guess what ... the plug they showed as the TPS is the BROWN one. So I guess following the vague information given here I pulled the wrong plug. My engine idle DID go up slightly (and the check engine light did go on) but at the moment I'm not at all sure what plug I really did disconnect! 2) The drawing in the Chilton manual (and the same one in the factory manual) for the idle adjusting screw is really unclear, and the hoses don't look the same as the sketch. Why couldn't they have used a photo for that part?!! Oh, that drawing does show the two plugs I mentioned above ... but doesn't identify either. 3) The best part was the mechanic at the dealership telling me that idle couldn't be adjusted without reprogramming the ECU ....