4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Actuator rebuilder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 01:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Actuator rebuilder?

What a productive Saturday morning it was. My blend door actuator gave the ghost a few weeks ago fixed that. This week my mode door actuator decided to give the ghost. So today as I'm driving it can only blow air out of the vents and not on the windshield. Took my daughter to her Saturday program and decided to play around under the dash while I was waiting. Out of frustration I just started tapping the mode actuator with a screwdriver and lo and behold it woke up. I already ordered a new one so I definitely know that is the problem. Now for a while my fresh air recirculate has been stuck on recirculate and the car has always gotten fogged up. While I was there I said let me just tap on the fresh air recirculate actuator and see what happens. Sure enough that woke up too. It moved and opened the fresh air door. I pressed the button a few times and it opened and closed. After while it just stayed on open which I honestly don't mind because recirculating is not good in the winter or in rainy weather. So until I get a replacement fresh air recirculating actuator open it is LOL. Killed two birds with one stone. Now does anyone know of a company that actually rebuilds actuators? I would get a fresh air recirculation actuator from a junkyard and send it out to get rebuilt being that Nissan doesn't sell them new anymore.
Old 03-14-2022, 05:44 PM

Ive installed actuators on lots of cars over the years. However these can be had aftermarket these days, the failure rate isn't high. The actuator it self over time can be susceptible to that same moisture. Replace them and roll on is my suggestion. When you have the New ones in, Open the oem ones and see what you see. Could be a loose joint or bad contact. Sometimes just re seating the connector can help resolve a intermittent issue.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:02 PM

Why don't you put the system on AUTO when the windows fog up? It turns on the AC compressor which removes said humidity.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Why don't you put the system on AUTO when the windows fog up? It turns on the AC compressor which removes said humidity.
Not in the winter time when it's cold. The compressor doesn't turn on. It's all good now. It's just those times when I'm behind like a school bus or a diesel truck where I want to put the recirculating switch on.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520
When the switch was stuck on recirculation back windows would fog up. Now that I have it open it's all good. I know it's a 20 something year old car but it's just nice to have everything working.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon and Ian
Not in the winter time when it's cold. The compressor doesn't turn on. It's all good now. It's just those times when I'm behind like a school bus or a diesel truck where I want to put the recirculating switch on.
Actually, season shouldn't matter. When you just want heat, that's when you push the Economy button. Auto is for when humidity needs to be removed from the inside with the recirculate closed. AC should be on when AUTO is on!

Then you finally have everything working.