4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake fluid leaked out from one wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 07:13 PM

Brake fluid leaked out from one wheel

The front passenger brake seems to have leaked out while car was parked. I ended up driving for like 5 miles around the city before noticing the leak on the ground, the car was able to brake.

I will take the wheel off and examine what leaked when I have the time. I can see from outside though that the brake is covered in clear oily fluid. I can see the brake fluid reservoir level decreased.

How does the brake system work exactly? Does one wheel leaking out keep the other wheels functioning? Can I still drive a mile to the market before I have time to fix this?
Old 07-30-2022, 11:01 AM
JvG

Either your caliper is leaking or the hose is.
You should top off the fluid before driving anywhere.

Do you want to fix this yourself? Or will you take the car to a mechanic.

Apparently you haven't researched how brakes work, let alone how to repair them.

All the information you need is on the web, or on you tube. YT might even have specific instructions for your car.

Consider taking the car to a mechanic.

Last edited by JvG; 07-30-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Either your caliper is leaking or the hose is.
You should top off the fluid before driving anywhere.

Do you want to fix this yourself? Or will you take the car to a mechanic.

Apparently you haven't researched how brakes work, let alone how to repair them.

All the information you need is on the web, or on you tube. YT might even have specific instructions for your car.

Consider taking the car to a mechanic.
I saw a video about how to replace a caliper, doesn't seem that hard, and Autozone sells caliper for $45. I dunno if hose is easy to replace though if that's the issue.

So will the other 3 brakes continue working if one of them completely leaked out?
Old 07-30-2022, 07:19 PM

NO! At least 2 will have no fluid to compress the calipers. Sometimes, it can be all four. DON'T Mess with Brake Leaks! NEVER replace a caliper only. Always replace the hose associated with it! Especially with the age of our cars. Always bleed the entire system whether you do all 4 corners or only one! If you do the front right, replace the pads and any associated hardware on both sides and make sure the other caliper is operating properly. If you have scoring on either rotor, replace it and if it's not scored, make sure it's not warped.

Over the last few years I have replaced the Master Cylinder, All four Calipers, All four hoses, All four Rotors, All four corners with pads and hardware, completely flushed the Brake fluid, and used SilGlyde grease on all the appropriate parts. What a difference having everything done like new, rather than patching an axle at a time. And there's plenty of videos to SHOW you how.

It's TIME!

Originally Posted by RITE
I saw a video about how to replace a caliper, doesn't seem that hard, and Autozone sells caliper for $45. I dunno if hose is easy to replace though if that's the issue.

So will the other 3 brakes continue working if one of them completely leaked out?
Old 07-31-2022, 12:53 PM
JvG

There are three ways to go.

1. Take the car to a mechanic.
the repair will be done right most of the time.
Your car and life depend on your brakes.

2. Learn all about the brakes and how to repair them.
buy the stainless steel brake line which bypasses the mess Nissan installed. Bleeding the brakes will be much easier this way.

replace both calipers and hoses. Perhaps the rotors as well. Brakes are done in sets. Like both front ones.
or the car might pull toward one side.

3. Repair only what's absolutely necessary.
consider this a short term fix until you can afford to make proper repairs SOON.

Since you seem to have limited knowledge, I think you should consider having the pros deal with this.
Old 08-28-2022, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by RITE
The front passenger brake seems to have leaked out while car was parked. I ended up driving for like 5 miles around the city before noticing the leak on the ground, the car was able to brake.

I will take the wheel off and examine what leaked when I have the time. I can see from outside though that the brake is covered in clear oily fluid. I can see the brake fluid reservoir level decreased.
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin

How does the brake system work exactly? Does one wheel leaking out keep the other wheels functioning? Can I still drive a mile to the market before I have time to fix this?

Last edited by mudassir.brandy; 08-28-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:35 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by mudassir.brandy
That is my concern as well.

Brakes are not something to patch together. Nor attempt mickey mouse repairs.
Brakes are a matter of life and death. Specifically your life and death.

Many people can research how brakes work. Then they can follow specific repair instructions. The result can be as good as what a shop can do. I've rebuilt my entire brake system.

My concern and others too is that you don't know what you are doing. Also you don't know what you don't know.

Either do this repair correctly with new parts. Or take it to a shop.