4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just ordered Warpseed Y-pipe!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 06:38 PM

Just ordered Warpspeed Y-pipe!

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted. Nothing's gone wrong with my 4th gen Maxima for a long time! Such an awesome car. I will keep it going until it dies, and if it does die I'll rebuild it!!

But finally, my exhaust flex pipe broke. Been wanting that Warpspeed Y pipe, so I figured good time to re-do the entire exhaust system. I'll be replacing the bank 2 (front) cat as well as the downstream (rear) cat too. Glad to see the Warpspeed pipe deleted that bank 1 cat mess!

I'll be getting all new O2 sensors too. (4 of them for the CA spec).

I'll post my updates as I progress with the project! Any suggestions on the best free flow cats as well as a muffler?

Thanks!

Last edited by wdornbach; 08-24-2022 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:24 PM

Magniflow has a stainless rear Cat Converter that has larger diameter flow through pipe than OEM. If NJ checks. The rear Cat has no O2 sensors past it, so unless required by inspection, you have other "choices".

The front two,,,, You have an O2 sensor before and after each. If you don't want codes, find something less restrictive but keeps the O2 sensors happy. Make sure you know NJ's requirements now and the near future before committing.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:27 AM

If you have a cali emmisions know that it will have the ses light on unless you have a o2 fouler where it tricks the ecu and keeps the ses Light off. If NJ is emmisions strict they sense a heavy smog they will fail it depending on the states law. I will tell you that you can go either way but if you go with the cali warpspeed y-pipe that will still be a good investment over a stock y-pipe. The fed y-pipe you will have a more noticeable power and gains and difference over the OEM and the cali warpspeed y-pipe but in the end the both warspeed y-pipe will be better than the OEM y-pipe at the end of the day. Its also your chance to get a magans gull catback exhaust it's the best set up out for our cars. The test pipe with this set up gives it that nice deep growl and rumble from start up and driving around and when your at idle. There is no riceiness in that set up in our exhaust like other exhaust systems would would make for our cars. Its to bad that Nissan discontinued the OEM y-pipe.
Old 08-23-2022, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Magniflow has a stainless rear Cat Converter that has larger diameter flow through pipe than OEM. If NJ checks. The rear Cat has no O2 sensors past it, so unless required by inspection, you have other "choices".

The front two,,,, You have an O2 sensor before and after each. If you don't want codes, find something less restrictive but keeps the O2 sensors happy. Make sure you know NJ's requirements now and the near future before committing.
KP11520: Thanks for enlightening me regarding my other "choices" (evil scientist laugh)

Old 08-23-2022, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
. Its also your chance to get a magans gull catback exhaust it's the best set up out for our cars. The test pipe with this set up gives it that nice deep growl and rumble from start up and driving around and when your at idle. There is no riceiness in that set up in our exhaust like other exhaust systems would would make for our cars..
vqmaxman: I googled "magans gull catback exhaust" but can't find anything for my 99 max. Is that the correct spelling? I'm very interested in this. Thanks~!
Old 08-23-2022, 06:51 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

What are your other mods?

Unequal Y pipes sound terrible. Better look into a big resonator.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
What are your other mods?

Unequal Y pipes sound terrible. Better look into a big resonator.
JSutter: I don't have any mods besides the southbend stage 2 clutch. Any recommendations? I'm not looking to go to crazy, but if there are any simple performance mods I'd be interested to try.

Additionally, I'd prefer my car to be on the quiet side, don't specifically need a loud muffler. Any semi-quiet free flow muffler recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2022, 10:29 AM

just a heads up being in NJ, i have had 2 warpspeed y-pipes, (and I am not knocking thier product, we are lucky to have anything for our older cars) but watch out for rust on the flex pipe, i had the flex pipe rot away in 3 years, and bought the same thing a 2nd time, and now I am pretty sure it is on its way out in about the same amount of time 3 winters. this time i am going to have a custom shop just replace the flex pipe portion with a better flex pipe that will last a lil longer than 3 winters.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
just a heads up being in NJ, i have had 2 warpspeed y-pipes, (and I am not knocking thier product, we are lucky to have anything for our older cars) but watch out for rust on the flex pipe, i had the flex pipe rot away in 3 years, and bought the same thing a 2nd time, and now I am pretty sure it is on its way out in about the same amount of time 3 winters. this time i am going to have a custom shop just replace the flex pipe portion with a better flex pipe that will last a lil longer than 3 winters.

Thanks Prophecy99! I figured such & willing to take that chance. You're right, we're definitely lucky to get items like this for our 4th gens. Couldn't find any other CA spec Y pipes on the market with the bank 1 pre-cat deleted. (I hate that OEM bank 1 pre cat thing! It's a huge in the way mess & looks like an alien snail metal sculpture.

If the flex pipe fails, I'll cut it out and weld in a better one.

Edit: Prophecy99: Were the warpspeed pipes you bought for a CA spec or fed? Thanks

Last edited by wdornbach; 08-24-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:39 PM

I’m interested to get your impressions in about 8, maybe 12 months …

I’ve been running one for a number years in combo with a Megan Racing exhaust and, when I get motivated again, I’m pulling the Y-pipe and reinstalling the OE mid-pipe.

I’m just not happy or impressed with the performance and where, in the RPM range, any performance improvements happen.

Back-pressure can be your friend.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
I’m interested to get your impressions in about 8, maybe 12 months …

I’ve been running one for a number years in combo with a Megan Racing exhaust and, when I get motivated again, I’m pulling the Y-pipe and reinstalling the OE mid-pipe.

I’m just not happy or impressed with the performance and where, in the RPM range, any performance improvements happen.

Back-pressure can be your friend.

Turbobink: Thanks, I'll update this thread once I get an impression of any performance difference. Is your Maxima California spec or Fed? Also, which Megan exhaust setup did you use? did you use just a megan muffler? I cannot find any 4th gen exhaust systems on the megan perf web site. they only show universal mufflers. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2022, 07:03 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

If you don't like the front pre cat, swap the front manifold with the older style and use the matching FED spec Y.

Stillen used to sell a Y pipe that fit all VQ30s. The Y was 2 pieces. Unfortunately finding that front pipe is virtually impossible now. Again, you'd need the old FED spec manifold to go with it and it should bolt to any CALI Y.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by wdornbach
Thanks Prophecy99! I figured such & willing to take that chance. You're right, we're definitely lucky to get items like this for our 4th gens. Couldn't find any other CA spec Y pipes on the market with the bank 1 pre-cat deleted. (I hate that OEM bank 1 pre cat thing! It's a huge in the way mess & looks like an alien snail metal sculpture.

If the flex pipe fails, I'll cut it out and weld in a better one.

Edit: Prophecy99: Were the warpspeed pipes you bought for a CA spec or fed? Thanks
I have a 5.5 gen, but im sure flex pipe still applies across the board. Yea i forget the differences from 4th to 5th because of the many similarities, but to answer your q i got the [5th gen y-pipe (No cats deleted)]. I am in PA with full emission inspections.
another 5th gen guy very recently had ws y-pipe flex pipe failure in Florida as well, and he had a theroy that because the flex pipe is so short is why they don't last
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ml#post9247178
Old 08-25-2022, 11:44 AM

Turbobink: Thanks, I'll update this thread once I get an impression of any performance difference. Is your Maxima California spec or Fed? Also, which Megan exhaust setup did you use? did you use just a megan muffler? I cannot find any 4th gen exhaust systems on the megan perf web site. they only show universal mufflers. Thanks!
Mine is a FL car, so it’s Federally spec’d and I’ve got the full SS Megan cat-back.

I don’t recall the model on the exhaust but it doesn’t matter anyway since, as you’ve found, it’s NLA.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:09 AM

heres my flex pipe after 4 winters taken last night, when I tried to install Ultra Racing Side Lower Bars. installed aug 2018

Old 09-02-2022, 08:28 AM

I have the Warpspeed Y-pipe on my 1995 SE and it's the best thing I ever did for it. Even with a stock tune, it just breathes and sounds much better.

Last edited by ugufru; 09-02-2022 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:12 AM

how long have you had it? have you had an rust issues at the flex pipe area? i have bought 2 of them and each flex pipe rusted out after 3 winters.

i just had a shop replace the entire flex pipe area, and hope that one lasts longer than 3 winters.
Old 09-07-2022, 03:20 PM

vqmaxman: I googled "magans gull catback exhaust" but can't find anything for my 99 max. Is that the correct spelling? I'm very interested in this. Thanks~!
It was an typo my fault about that I ment to say megan`s performance catback full exhaust system. They were producing these exhaust and the they still were plenty still in stock they had about 200+ batches when I called last and I asked about them around 2017 and hint they are and were not that many 4th gens around and or many that were in the modding game. I asked and I called them about the exhaust the feds and nsa and other damn gov agencies got them to toss them out. the blame can be on sillwell and lux97max they had the agencies call in and toss them out. I called my boy at megan nelson trong a good man who helped me with my product give him a shout out and tell him that I know him hopefully he can help you with one.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:31 AM

...the blame can be on sillwell and lux97max they had the agencies call in and toss them out.
!
?
Old 12-06-2022, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by reallywildstuff
!
?
lux97max mo county cop informant=5.0 while stilwell is a nsa security or agent.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:02 PM

lux97max mo county cop informant=5.0 while stilwell is a nsa security or agent.
!

i only just this

Do tell! Private Message!
Old 01-03-2023, 08:02 AM
Got Retrofit?

Wait what…