5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Warpspeed Y & cat ('00 CA Spec); mating to Megan 2.5 dual-outlet catback

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:03 AM

Warpspeed Y & cat ('00 CA Spec); mating to Megan 2.5 dual-outlet catback

My flex pipe crapped the bed. After the cat I have a well-maintained Megan 2.5" dual-outlet catback with resonator installed...

I found the warpspeed y-pipe plus cat for $285 plus shipping... and I pulled the trigger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=380220264488

I have stock exhaust manifolds, no O2 simulators, and as I said before, this y-pipe/cat combo will mate to a Megan cat back...

I am looking forward to hearing it but I'll not expect anything special.

Are there any fitment issues I should look out for? That's my main question, as I've heard things here and there about warpspeed... not that they're uber-cheap, but that there are occasional fitment problems... I'll do some more searching in this subforum, but if anyone can give some feedback I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by sixteenXnine; 08-21-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:29 AM
L36

I was considering buying this as well because my Y pipe is slowly going out the door. This thing is, i might still get something out it so not going to replace it yet.

The thing about these y pipes is that they hook up directly to the manifold. So there is no space for the front or back cat between the engine and the firewall, the ones that actually matter because they got o2 sensors, and would throw me a SES.

Then again, i have an o2 simulator on the cat between the firewall and engine.

Last edited by L36; 08-09-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

On my pipe, the O2 sensor hole was clocked a bit off and the sensor is right against the RH axle support bearing. Ended up grinding a bit out of the spot to clear.

Last edited by MerlotMax; 08-09-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Banned

I'm happy someone else is giving warpspeed a chance to shine, I just ordered my 3'' y-pipe from WarpSpeed the other day. Cant want to install it and gut the cats, Personaly i never had a problem with warp speed products.

I had thier y-pipe installed before on my 4th gen max no problem what so ever, This was about 4 years ago. My buddy is driving around with that y-pipe and nothing has yet to go wrong with it.

At one time they may have had a bad batch of flex sections and stuff like that happens some times and some of the org turned on them. ( Every body seams to forget that the same thing happen to the other guy on a batch of header/y-pipe combos as they like to call it) When i talked to dallas not to long ago he said the problem was fix and they stop dealing with that company that sold them the flex sections along time ago.

Sorry for the rambling

All in all you should have a great experience with your WarpSpeed y-pipe, I can't wait to get mine in
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 AM

I have the warpspeed SS y-pipe on my 03, and I love it, there were zero issues during install and their customer service is excellent.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by sixteenXnine
I am looking forward to hearing it but I'll not expect anything special.
Actually, you can expect a deeper tone to your exhaust. The uneven length collectors have a pleasant, acoustic side-effect... if you like that sort of thing.

So you have that to look forward to.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Actually, you can expect a deeper tone to your exhaust. The uneven length collectors have a pleasant, acoustic side-effect... if you like that sort of thing.

So you have that to look forward to.
Hey Rochester, I'm down in Canandaigua, maybe you could stop by and assist me (drink beer)?

Thanks everyone for your responses. Um, one concern... I thought this y-pipe was 49 state/emissions legal? Dis miss something? Am I gonna need to work around something with regards to O2 sensors or something?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:53 PM
L36

Just bough one as well. Noticed a crack where the y pipe reinforced handle is, where it connects to the rubber dome. Got it with the test pipe, no need for main cat as it has no o2 sensors.
Besides, my main cat is pretty much rusted through.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 AM

Soooo, uhh, living in NY, and having an '00 Cali-emissions Max, am I likely to run into SES/O2 Sensor/Inspection issues? Does the Warpspeed y-pipe installation render my car un-passable or anything of the sort?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 AM

Soooo, uhh, living in NY, and having an '00 Cali-emissions Max, am I likely to run into SES/O2 Sensor/Inspection issues? Does the Warpspeed y-pipe installation render my car un-passable or anything of the sort?
tha should not be an issue. The rear bank O2 sensor is reinstalled in the front bank pipe, where the pre-cat stays in place. Since the rear pre-cat is removed, with moving the sensor to the front pipe it tricks the ECU that everything is OK.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:15 AM

The Warpspeed O2 sensor hole location has made fitting my (standard sized, I checked) O2 sensor not possible... too close to the oil pan even with the flange bent. I have the sensor and wire sitting unplugged in my car, and a bung was screwed into the hole now. Guess I have to look for a low-clearance O2 sensor, or maybe an O2 simulator, I don't know yet.

Anyone else run into this with their Warpspeed Y-pipes on 5-5.5 gens?

Holy hell does this car sound good though. DIY short-ram, Warpspeed Y, Magnaflow cat, Megan 2.5 dual outlet cat-back... man it sounds tough! Perfect for puttign a grin on my face during highway trips. I'll likely never take this car to a track or strip, and I don't take it out to impress people, I just love to drive happy, and the y pipe, well in concert with other stuff it's making me drive happy.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:55 AM

The Warpspeed O2 sensor hole location has made fitting my (standard sized, I checked) O2 sensor not possible... too close to the oil pan even with the flange bent. I have the sensor and wire sitting unplugged in my car, and a bung was screwed into the hole now. Guess I have to look for a low-clearance O2 sensor, or maybe an O2 simulator, I don't know yet.

Anyone else run into this with their Warpspeed Y-pipes on 5-5.5 gens?
This. Anyone?

Last edited by sixteenXnine; 08-21-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

I just recived my warpspeed 3'' y-pipe a few days ago cAn't wait to get back home to install it.........

This.

Last edited by Clashez; 08-20-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:37 PM

Warpspeed 2.5" y-pipe O2 sensor fitment problem (hitting oil pan)?? Anyone?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Banned

Warpspeed 2.5" y-pipe O2 sensor fitment problem (hitting oil pan)?? Anyone?
No not here post up a pic maybe i can help u solve this problem
Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 PM

I will post a pic when I get back from a trip to Buffalo and back, though I kinda figured the explanation was plain and simple enough. I simply cannot thread an O2 sensor in there... if the hole was allowing the sensor to point down a little more then I'd be good, but it's plumb straight and runs smack into the oil pan and flange. I could have a new hole drilled a few inches down, but nothing of this sort was supposed to happen. Stock 3.0 exhaust manifold btw.

Also, where are the most common vibration spots and what's the general recommendations for installers of 2.5" y-pipes to 5th gen Maximas to mitigate such a thing?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:00 PM
L36

This. Anyone?
Mine just fit in there. Its touching the oil pan but it does not get a lot of stress on it or anything.
Just a note, im using an eastern, high flow cat and i no longer have the main cat.

Overall, very pleased with the y pipe. My car idles very quietly now and does not vibrate at all during idle while it was uphill.

Last edited by L36; 08-22-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by L36
Mine just fit in there. Its touching the oil pan but it does not get a lot of stress on it or anything.
Just a note, im using an eastern, high flow cat and i no longer have the main cat.

Overall, very pleased with the y pipe. My car idles very quietly now and does not vibrate at all during idle while it was uphill.

So the eastern high-flow cat IS your main cat now? Did I miss something in how you described that?

Um, I'll give installing the sensor another go tomorrow, I doubt I'll be able to; my mechanic brought me under the car to check it out, and the blockage was obvious.

Wow, my exhaust was LOUD today (I thought there could even be a crack in the y-pipe or a broken gasket, or maybe the O2 sensor bung was blown out). I believe some vibrations have gotten more dramatic, and this was exacerbated today by having people + luggage in the car. I dropped them and their stuff off and the volume went back down...

Tomorrow I definitely have to source out any and all vibrations and try to mitigate them.

I do know that only 2 of the four screws are mounted on the rear manifold heat shield (I thought I could pull it off.... but, um... no) right now, so I'll do what I can to get the other two screws in there and tight (man putting those back on is ridiculously hard). After that i'll check out the rest of the length of the exhaust and see if anything has loosened up.

I honestly didn't think the 2.5" y-pipe, magnaflow cat and megan catback with resonator was going to be this loud on my daily driver. So I'd like to just secure and dampen as properly and thoroughly as possible....
Old 08-23-2011, 12:33 PM
L36

So the eastern high-flow cat IS your main cat now? Did I miss something in how you described that?

Um, I'll give installing the sensor another go tomorrow, I doubt I'll be able to; my mechanic brought me under the car to check it out, and the blockage was obvious.

Wow, my exhaust was LOUD today (I thought there could even be a crack in the y-pipe or a broken gasket, or maybe the O2 sensor bung was blown out). I believe some vibrations have gotten more dramatic, and this was exacerbated today by having people + luggage in the car. I dropped them and their stuff off and the volume went back down...

Tomorrow I definitely have to source out any and all vibrations and try to mitigate them.

I do know that only 2 of the four screws are mounted on the rear manifold heat shield (I thought I could pull it off.... but, um... no) right now, so I'll do what I can to get the other two screws in there and tight (man putting those back on is ridiculously hard). After that i'll check out the rest of the length of the exhaust and see if anything has loosened up.

I honestly didn't think the 2.5" y-pipe, magnaflow cat and megan catback with resonator was going to be this loud on my daily driver. So I'd like to just secure and dampen as properly and thoroughly as possible....
The only cat i have is the eastern cat between the radiator and the engine. That one just plays a role in not giving me any CEL.
The cat between the firewall and engine is gone along with the main cat under the car, in which i was describing in the last post.
Sound wise, my car is not louder as it used to be, but slightly quieter; especially at high RPMs. The tone of the exhaust is much deeper. Keep in mind i have gready evo 2 exhaust.

Last edited by L36; 08-23-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:03 AM

I've never heard the term "eastern cat". What's the meaning of that name?

I jacked the car up yesterday and had a look at what's causing vibration. I think most of it comes from the large crossmember, as the pipe sits right on it. So I tried to adjust that a bit; I bent the y-pipe's hanger in an attempt to pick everything up a bit, and I also tried jacking the actual exhaust system up. I also placed a brillo pad in between the pipe and crossmember to at least try to mitigate some vibration. In the end most of the vibration is still sporadically there. .... So I gotta keep trying stuff; I'd really like to solve this myself and not have a shop do all the figurin'.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:11 AM

Probably Eastern Catalytic. It's a brand.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:19 AM

Bending the hanger didn't really lift the pipe up. Damn. I did notice that the hanger mount is a three-point rubber affair, with two holes for two mount points, and then a third one for the hanger.... Right now that third hole is set up below the two mount points; I'm wondering if I could flip the rubber mount so the hanger mount hole is above instead.

I'll nip this vibration in the bud yet.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:46 AM

I also have an 00 max CA spec. I'm planning on getting a warpspeed y pipe as well but now I'm kinda hesitant because of the o2 fitment issue u mentioned. I also have the megan catback with resonator. Did u figure out the o2 issue yet??
Old 10-13-2011, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Maximized2000
I also have an 00 max CA spec. I'm planning on getting a warpspeed y pipe as well but now I'm kinda hesitant because of the o2 fitment issue u mentioned. I also have the megan catback with resonator. Did u figure out the o2 issue yet??
No, I didn't. Surgery and radiation treatments have kept me from working on that stuff; I might look back into the issue over the next week or so. For now a bung over the O2 sensor hole is working fine, but I know I've gotta get that sensor plugged in.

Still loving this exhaust setup for the most part, except for the occasional vibration (which I believe is mostly coming from that large crossmember).