4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

dual intakes. advantages if any?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 03:52 PM

dual intakes. advantages if any?

i posted this within another post but got no responses so here goes. would this be beneficial. my idea includes a sewer pipe Y and hooking up 2 pop charger style intakes. The only reason i havent tried this venture 1) will it make my car run lean?
2) will it even do anything, the TB can only take in so much air anyway. well those are my thoughts. any suggestions would be cool...

THERE HOWS THAT FOR BEING ORIGINAL? even though i kinda stole it. but i thought of it before it was on the board anyway.
Old 02-08-2002, 03:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't think that would be of any use, since there is only one throttle body.
Old 02-08-2002, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
I don't think that would be of any use, since there is only one throttle body.
Not only that but we dont have a problem with not getting enough air. We have plenty using a pop or CAI. This setup is used for twin turbo 300zx etc. But will give us no gain. If anything it will lower our low end.

SuDZ
Old 02-08-2002, 04:10 PM

Re: dual intakes. advantages if any?

No use for two intakes one is enough and that isn't really neccesary if you don't have any other mods with it.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:19 PM

Re: Re: dual intakes. advantages if any?

Originally posted by maxedout95
No use for two intakes one is enough and that isn't really neccesary if you don't have any other mods with it.
Even if your mods were maxed out you still wouldnt need this setup on a Maxima 300zx's with TT dont use it till like 600HP. You wont get thwere in your max.

SuDZ
Old 02-08-2002, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think it woud just create turbulance at the junction that would lessen the amount of air that went in. At low RPMs a fast smooth stream of air provides a tourqe increase because it creates a 'ram effect', this is supposed to be one of the ways a CAI creates more low end power (in addition to the cold air of course). At higher RPMs a filter closer to the TB will provide more air, this is where a pop charger has the advantage.

I was thinking, would it be possible to have a CAI with a second filter under the hood close to the throttle body. The under hood filter would be closed at low RPMs allowing the CAI to provide it's benifits (long intake path, cold air) and at higher RPMs the second filter (or both) would open up, allowing maximum airflow. Of course I have no idea if it would be possible to set something like this up or how to go about it.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Anachronism
I think it woud just create turbulance at the junction that would lessen the amount of air that went in. At low RPMs a fast smooth stream of air provides a tourqe increase because it creates a 'ram effect', this is supposed to be one of the ways a CAI creates more low end power (in addition to the cold air of course). At higher RPMs a filter closer to the TB will provide more air, this is where a pop charger has the advantage.

I was thinking, would it be possible to have a CAI with a second filter under the hood close to the throttle body. The under hood filter would be closed at low RPMs allowing the CAI to provide it's benifits (long intake path, cold air) and at higher RPMs the second filter (or both) would open up, allowing maximum airflow. Of course I have no idea if it would be possible to set something like this up or how to go about it.
Seems unnecessary though. I mean like I said the max doesnt need that much air. It really wouldnt show that much of a gain.

SuDZ